The Guitar Thread

Let’s say I wanted to go fully in-the box with my guitar setup. In other words, I plug my guitar straight into my Focusrite and build the effects and amp signal chain entirely in a VST in Ableton. What would I use?

Nice to hear everyone’s thoughts. My plan is to create ‘wall of sound’ and shoegaze type stuff to sample and record. Like others, it will always be at night and so I think the helix is the best option and then I can use the send & return for my special sauce pedals.

I guess my question came because I really love the sound of analogue fuzz pedals, but given my situation it’s not really the best option. Maybe when the kids are older…

I like Overloud’s TH-U for this. The other contender is Nembrini.

Also great, if you want guitar tones that don’t mimic real amps, is Rhino.

Personally I had great results with Neural DSP plug-ins, namely Plini and Cory Wong. Their business model is kinda strange and I believe there is quite some overlap between all of the plug-ins, but at least one is worth having in your arsenal.

Other potential solutions would be Guitar Rig from NI, Amplitube, Line 6 Helix Native (if you were to buy any of the HX hardware, you should get a serious discount on it) and I think Universal Audio has some great stuff, but you would need to upgrade that Focusrite :slight_smile:

Who likes the Strymon Flint for reverb and trem? I’m a spring reverb lover.

1 Like

I just realised that my Bigsky pedal has a cab sim built in. Probably good enough for sampling my guitar via a pedal chain that I already have…

I’ve had one since they came out and it’s been my go to ever since. I’m sure there’s loads of good stuff out there now, but it’s hard for me to justify anything else as I still think it sounds great.

1 Like

Does anyone have experience with this?

Are these things worth it for general easy noodling or is it worth spending 3x more on something like a Iridium?

I’ve got a mustang micro and can recommend it. It’s very convenient and the sound is surprisingly good. However, there’s not much control over the sound. It’s basically a handful of presets and that’s it, but it’s enough for practice or noodling on the couch with headphones. If you want some more freedom with your patches, the boss pocket gt is almost as convenient, but relies on an app to edit the sounds:
https://youtu.be/bWgfCt1JkE4

1 Like

It’s great - fiddly, almost preset only but it’s sounds really good for practice and demo recording at home. I love mine

1 Like

I’m a complete fuzz junkie and I’m having great luck with my hybridized setup. I’ve gone all in on the new UA amp pedals and love them. I’ve got the Dream 65 (Blackface Deluxe Reverb) and the Ruby (misc AC30 models) and they’re both excellent. I’ve got 3 very nice tube amps I could mic up and use whenever I want, but I don’t record with them at all anymore. The ability to plug my board directly into the UA’s and then monitor through my Focals or headphones is perfection. The UA’s are extremely responsive to playing dynamics so, IMHO, it feels much, more more like playing an amp than anything else I’ve experienced. I also had the Strymon Iridium and compared them, but for me the UA’s win hands-down.

Regarding fuzz, the front end of the UA’s hold up just fine getting smashed with fuzz or boosts and react properly and musically. I love having my pedals for quick interaction and then the UA’s are used just like I’d use an amp, so there’s little interaction with the “amp” unless I switch guitars and need to switch presets or tweak EQ. I’ll also note the UA’s have an excellent iOS app for management of presets and trying out some sounds you wouldn’t necessarily have found otherwise.

Lastly, I live in a house that transmits sound entirely too well. The studios in the basement and I can still hear voices and sound from 2 floors up. The ability to really dig in on electric guitar and feel like I’m rocking out a bit was lost to me for a long time before I got the UA’s. It’s been so nice to feel like I can actually make noise but at the same time not disturb anyone. I’d really, really missed that feeling.

That’s my 2 cents.

3 Likes

I used to always just buy black leather straps, but lately I’ve been trying to match colorful straps to my guitars. Here’s a few.

10 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

One additional consideration with the MM is how it will sit in your input jack. It works great in my stratocaster with the angled input jack on the front, not so great on my Strandberg with the recessed input jack on the rear. Soundwise it’s excellent – no need to buy an Iridium for practice if you don’t need to use additional effects pedals.

1 Like

Is that an R4?

Yup - It’s a '21 R4.

Excellent choice. Don’t see too many of them.

Anyone on here has any experience with FGN guitars? I’m looking at maybe getting a J-Standard Iliad (sort of Telecaster copies). I have a Gibson Les Paul Tribute 2017 which I love (amazing player) and a 1990 Mexican Strat which also plays well. Wonder how this will compare in terms of playability and manufacturing quality.

Any input is appreciated.

Your green tele is the winner….

2 Likes

this I can agree with and why I own several nice high gain tube amps some large monsters like my Uberschall and MZero and smaller tube amps like my ENGL Ironball and Mesa Boogie Mark V 35. I did some testing between hardware modelers like Kemper and Line 6 Helix and computer amp plugins and the truth is that hardware and software is getting very close to real tube amp sound and feel with powered cabs that push air flow. Convenience in recording and small footprint is very attractive feature of modelers to have hundreds of amp/cab models and FX in small box instead of walls of amps and 4x12 cabs. I plan to ditch my tube amps one day and just use a Fractal Axe FX III so I can have room for a large touch screen wide double screen mixing desk like the Slate Audio console and make integration of recording guitar and bass far easier with modular and synths than the routine of miking and recording amps which is a pain in the butt to do. I do like wireless guitar amp receivers so I can walk around playing guitar without cables dragging. Now I need wireless amp mike to send to DAW in similar way to that.

1 Like