The importance of finding your core gear

Never got to the point where I had that. I follow a simple rule. What’s not getting used, feels awkward, doesn’t resonate, et cetera … is sold right away and usually I never look back. It might also help, that I was never a collector of things.

1 Like

I’m starting to realize this is just an idealistic concept - there is no magical sub realm within an instrument wherein lies unfathomed sounds and functionalities that only you can manifest as the master seeker of originality.

This is more realistic, and validates my point.

To further play devils advocate-I heard an interview with Surgeon where he says he scraps gear once he’s too comfortable with it, which totally goes against the whole “know your gear inside&out” ethos.

Also, I retract my intention to buy a M:C, I just preordered the Qun mk2 :sunglasses:

1 Like

I should probably sell my OT… it’s endlessly mildly frustrating. I’m trying make it my hub, and I know it can work… but getting to work for me has proven painful. I suspect I’ll miss it, and re-buy one, if I sold it, so I’m not doing that.

Plus, I’m a hoarder :joy:

2 Likes

:scream_cat:

1 Like

I had the same scenario exactly with the OT. I did sell it and honestly haven’t missed it at all.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what do you sequence with?

There’s lots to read here from people along the lines of “bought an OT for the 4th time now, this time it will stay” and so on. I made the same mistake with the DT, bought it twice and sold it twice, but here are my two cent of what I learned from that: whenever you get the urge to buy something again, don’t think about why you want it and what it may bring you, but why I it didn’t work for you and why you sold it in the first place. The human brain tends to stick to fond memories and forgets bad ones more easily, or remembers the fun, but the struggle less so.
I’ve been a much happier person after selling the OT and not worrying about making it work as my center piece, once in a lifetime, dreambox, all in one, magic device anymore.

Edit: typo that changed the whole meaning :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

My main central sequencers now are Ableton with a Push 2 for ITB and an MPC Live 2 for dawless. The beauty of this is it’s a matter of swapping over 1 USB hub between them and I have access to everything within both systems.

I have an Analog Four mk2 and a Digitone as part of my core setup, so I still get my Elektron seq fill from them.

1 Like

Sometimes I sell it, sometimes I just let it sit until I decide to use it again. Maybe box it up if I need the space. Most of the time when I’ve gotten rid of something, I’ve later regretted it. Unless it was something I just really didn’t get along with.

1 Like

I’m much more in the Surgeon camp than the Autechre one. I think there’s something to be said for not knowing your gear inside out. Part of the fun of performing for me is the slight element of chaos that comes from not being completely in control of the gear I’m using. The music I make tends to rely on tension, and as I’m not musically able to create tension through composition, I have to find other avenues to generate it. One of these avenues is the constant battle between me and my gear. Whether it be some on the fly “why is it doing that?” problem solving or a bit of “I wonder what that does” improvisation. Obviously, there’s a sweet spot for this sort of thing, as the scales can easily tip into something either very frustrating or very boring, both to play and to listen to.

9 Likes

great technique… need to remind myself of this idea when next GAS is kicking in

Very interesting thread. I’m coming back to the M:C over and over again. I just like the immediacy, it’s power on and … play. On the other hand, I’m having a hard time combining it with other gear. So it’s kind of a love/hate relationship since I’m still looking for the perfect companion (tried 0-Coast, OP-Z, Medusa, Volcas, Geode).

1 Like

Why are you looking for a companion? What’s missing? What can’t you say with an M:C that you are trying to say?

What are you trying to say is a very good question indeed. I’m mainly copying tracks and then slightly shift them (pitch, swing, whatever) in order to create subtle – and sometimes even accidental — changes in rhythm and structure. With doing that, the 6 tracks are quite a limitation. So I’m mainly looking to expand the sonic options — and I don’t have something specific in mind, I would just like to have a good workflow (portability is important as well in my case). Hope that makes sense. I’m currently checking out the OP-Z. Also in my list is the Blackbox and (most obviously) the M:S.

I sold about half a dozen things I should never have bought.
I’m left with another half dozen boxed up in a cupboard. These ones I really don’t want to sell, or would be harder to find and cost more to buy again. When I feel like a change, I’ll swap the 1-2 synths on the table for something new. Great for GAS control :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hm yeah but the “music that is within us” is there because of these instruments in the first place

Yep, just have a big stash of gear somewhere and get the thing you need and then hide it again.

At some point, you know what to sell and keep.

It’s like when you do painting or visual arty stuff. You have a big mess with garbage somewhere and you take what you need when you need it. Your “core business” is most likely a single brush, linen and 7 tubes of oil paint with thinner and a drop of linseed

3 Likes

It’s Digitone, my go-to synth. But everything starts with MD. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For me, I keep trying to use Elektron stuff, but ever since I used the OP-Z sequencer I’m spoiled. I also like that the MIDI side of it requires no setup.

I’ve more or less settled on a few pieces that require almost no setup, but which are endlessly tweakable on the fly. I have found that I much prefer one-function-per-knob gear over stuff with lots of menus and features. It may be that I came from guitar, where a lot of the sound is in how you play.

I have an OP-Z, Moog Grandmother, guitar, and Ableton+Push 2. My poly synth is Operator, and my sampler is either Ableton, or Koala app.

The beauty of the OP-Z is that it works almost as a midi looper, and it’s so easy to capture ideas and work on them. I even use it to sequence Elektron gear, because it’s so immediate now that I know it inside out.

4 Likes

I think your message is what it’s all about. You developed a workflow that you like that works for you and that you’re happy with. That’s all that matters.

2 Likes