The improvised techno thread

Well in my specific case I was looking for Synths that could emulate or use tube saturation and distortion. There were a couple of standalone options, but, for me, the Erica Fusion System is exactly the sound I was looking for, so that’s where I started.

Maybe start with something semi-modular?

1 Like

That´s why I think if I sometime go modular I have to be very sure about what is in the case, something simple but powerful.

Yes, I borrowed a Crave to try. And the first thing I´ve come across has been the tune, I can never be sure about things tuned in a live situation, so it implies PFL or a lot of risk.

Anyway I feel I need some unmpredictability in my setup, as well as a different sound palette.

This is one of the parts of it that appeals to me. I love the danger.

Being in tune is massively overrated.

But for those that like that sort of thing there are quantizers.

3 Likes

Jajaja I suppose is just a matter of confort zone, that´s why I have that on my head.

1 Like

Compose material with an extended set in mind, not just one track (as in song). Look at each track (as in channel) as a sound layer to be used in different combinations. Have doubled sounds, so multiple different kick tracks in an AR pattern. Sometimes i split my MC tracks: 1-3 with ‘song’ #1 sounds, 4-6 song #2.

The MD lends itself also very well with its 16 tracks.

Jam a lot. Combine things at random to find the happy surprises.

5 Likes

One thing I have been thinking of heavily is to use just one sound source to do all sounds. Then I saw a Blawan interview and that is exactly what he is doing…

He uses a single oscillator… normally a sine wave. And then he uses a wavefolder to create these alien textures. The looper is a must in his scenario.

I read a lot of posts in this thread about buying certain gear to do the job. IMO :smiley: it is a personal journey. The wavefolder was recommended to Blawan by a mate. He has been through countless gear prior to that. The Tempest was crucial to his set up years ago (maybe an RA interview). He also described the sound of modular when he heard it stating that it blew all the other gear away. He used to layer up the kick with another so it would thud hard enough. With modular he doesn’t need to do that anymore.

He has some other great and very choice pieces in his rather small set up. He states that the more simpler he made his set up, the more complex his sounds became.

I read these things years ago FWIW :smiley:

Apart from the YouTube link above.

Another thing I just can’t envisage ever adding is a DJ mixer. I don’t wish this to be a debate and if a mixer works for you then great! For me, it would be too difficult to lug yet another piece of equipment round. I think @Grate_expectations considered this for the transitions, am I right? I personally would and am going the same route as I did for my first album. I want a couple of patterns at least that mix kits, or have enough of a break down that allow me to waltz straight into my any pattern/kit. That’s just me. I used to love it when a DJ would have a couple of tunes sitting on one another. There was always something hypnotic about that to me and they were often my favourite part. I remember Tony De Vit and his Elements mix. There was a tune that went into another with a vocal saying “In My House” it was super sick and it was all about the mix. Given the depth of these Elektrons I can do a similar thing with as much or as little detail as I want. That’s why I have no clue why I would need a mixer. That said, I do prefer using my MX-1 for each of the RYTM faders. Super helpful.

3 Likes

Really glad I started this thread, lots of useful info, suggestions etc.

I also like the idea of using a single sound source for most of the sounds in a track - RYTM + synth/modular + looper seems to be a good combo. A looper has always scared me though as I’ve never used one. When using the RC505 for example, is it as simple as feeding the sound source into the looper, hitting record and then stop to capture a loop and then fading it in? What about having the sound source play live? Does the looper allow audio thru until you feed in the captured loop?

3 Likes

Yes. If the track fader is up, it will immediately switch to playback. (Rec, Overdub, Play is default, but you can change it to Rec, Play, Overdub - so everxtime you hit the button you cycle through those functions.)

Afair the RC505 lets you do that. Also other loopers let you work like this.

1 Like

Have you considered using a flex track on the OT you’re selling as a looper?

Or is it just too much ballache?

It’s possible. Everything is possible with the OT. Not sure it would be an enjoyable experience though. Maybe I should give it a go…

I’ve decided to go with Rytm, a synth and a looper. I want the synth to be knobby and immediate. The Rytm is complex enough that when I add the OT my brain gets fried and not much gets made. Does that make sense?

1 Like

somewhat related, cool setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr5R5aOOjgI

I think what I’m learning is that, if I want to take my music making out in the world and hurt people, I need to accept that there are elements of it that are going to be less fun than if I was putting gear together for jamming at home or building tracks with.

There are likely loopers that are easier to use than the OT, there’s definitely FX that sound better and there’s mixers with better features. But the fact that the OT is my mixer, looper, FX and samples, scenes, sequencing etc. on top, all in one little box. To me, that’s worth the learning curve and most of the frustrations.

Having just one modular suitcase and the Octatrack to think about frees up so much of my brain for just playing. I’m not trying to spin 12 plates, I can improvise pretty freely, at least once I’ve got the muscle memory set.

Obviously everyone’s different, but I totally get why Surgeon keeps coming back to the OT despite his obvious lack of love for it. It’s just so useful.

It’s all about what you’re brain is happy dealing with though.

9 Likes

Wise words. I think I’ve owned 4 octatracks. The force is strong with this one.

For your scenario I can see it’s perfect. For me, a home warrior who just wants to make a racket, sometimes the octatrack is overkill.

3 Likes

Yeah, if I wasn’t planning to play out, I probably wouldn’t have an Octatrack.

When you get your 8th Octatrack you unlock the bonus level.

10 Likes

18 Likes

Haha I love manual jokes :rofl:

2 Likes

In this scenario I’d set up my OT as simple as possible, maybe only using 4 tracks at a time (which would give me the opportunity to transition from one OT side to the other OT side) - One thru machines for the Rytm, one thru machines for the synth, one track set up for the transition trick, always sampling in the background and an additional track (in my case a static machine playing modulated atmospheric loops, droney pads, modulated background noises etc… The static list populated with lots of material, ready to go).

All parts are setup similar, same layout, same scenes, each bank uses one part, so no suprises when changing patterns.

Basically OT acts like a simple mixer with effects, looper and backing track playback machine. No clock sync or transport synced between OT and AR. OT sends clock to the synth.

OT, AR and Bass Bot v2 is the setup I’m currently testing for potential live gigs.

4 Likes