The new "very different" Elektron wild speculation thread

OK - I didn’t read the thread in 2022, so maybe this has been predicted already… here’s my wild speculation…

If they officially discontinue the DN Keys (meaning that we find out that’s it’s true), my guess is a “Syntakt Keys” where the 4 “modifier” tracks become analog tracks (4 more than the ST desktop model).
This will be possible because the extra room in the keyboard would allow 2 Syntakt circuit boards, and give it some room for thermals. The extra digital grunt would be used to reveal new FM Machines that could be used on any of the 8 digital tracks (Unsure if these would be stereo, or mono.)
The FM Machines would also be added to the ST.

Price point $2000 USD

I will speculate that, if the DT Keys are discontinued, then my dream of a big box DT with analog filters will come to fruition. Due to regulations, you can only farm so much FM at once, hence discontinuing the DT Keys. .

They shouldn’t discontinue the DT Keys before they make it.

This is a splendid idea. Elektron is so strong at both the analog parts and the digital as well, anything sophisticated and hybrid is a winner in my book.

3 Likes

My prediction is a full blown Elektron workstation, featuring sampling, fm, analog, wavetable, modeling, and several analog/digital effects. This will be coupled with a 49 key keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch, and a greatly expanded clip launch style sequencer with all traditional Elektron functions, but no step limit. The workstation will be fully networked and will pair to comprehensive control software (and vst) seamlessly.

I’ll gladly sell everything to get 16 track stereo and polyphonic Digitakt with more effects and memory please :smiley:

2 Likes

Such a thing will never happen. This is against Elektron business philosophy.

Maybe, but it sounds like they are trying to evolve that philosophy.

Whatever the next thing will be, based on that vague comment that seemed to spill at least one bean, I think it will be a next step in the whole overbridge realm. It’s only logical that they will take that platform to a next level.

So possibly a line of instruments that are fully integrated with an Overbridge 3. This could mean things like being able to interconnect the instruments via a proprietary connection (think x-link or similar). This would make it possible to have multiple inputs and outputs to and from the different lines of instrument, possibly with a wide range of choices in routings. For example pre- / post filter, send fx in serial or maybe even stacking, sending instrument A through instrument’s B and C’s filters and back into its own mix. One example of this is analog four as it can use an external input as OSC. Something along those lines but at a higher level with more flexibility. Or the ability to use modulation sources from multiple devices on each other’s destinations. etc. etc,

And of course complete integration with DAWs via USB-C with much more channels and flexible routing options, lower latency etc.

Just dumping a brain here, but all in all I think the next step really is a next level overbridge and interconnection between a new series of instruments. And of course in a way that still feels like proper instruments with limitations and all. Then being able to combine them into an integrated system. Possibly someday with the release of a mixer.

9 Likes

It will be a bicycle then.
It’s very different to all they did til now.

Agree with all of that. And the one instrument that could really make use all of that is whatever replaces Octatrack. Make it the performance hub/mixer of an Elektron/DAW setup, with everything linking (including other Elektrons) through it over USB-C :ok_hand:

5 Likes

as someone else said, they go sideways and have multiple layers of ‘aftertouch’. you don’t have to keep the key hard pressed down to use the first layer, just changing the pressure can be sent as a modulation. thats in addition to normal aftertouch, when the key hits the bottom of its travel there is something like normal aftertouch. they explain it really well in the sonic state demo.

I’ve just spent the evening reading about the Nord Modular. And it struck me that Elektron could decide to do something very similar but with modern processing power and then tying everything together with the Elektron sequencer. No doubt a computer would be required to edit patches/instruments but once loaded onto the Elektron (I’m calling it now) Modular, it would function like a standalone performance oriented synthesiser. How cool would that be? It’s very different for Elektron and could be part of the reason for hiring more coders/engineers for the next generation of Elektron machines.

7 Likes

The nord modular is certainly an excellent source of inspiration.

1 Like