The new "very different" Elektron wild speculation thread

Next level marketing strategy, tell them it’s not a mixer. Then make a mixer. Genius.

4 Likes

Exactly what I was hoping

and a built-in modem for internet connectivity / fax send-receive

1 Like

My brother-in-law is a power tools dealer and has been talking about Elektron A LOT…
His source swears there’s a welder coming.

I might not need it, like I didn’t need a Syntakt, but this won’t stop me from pre-ordering.

2 Likes

Elektron Rotary Synthesiser

7 Likes

It’s not about cleanliness, it’s about being able to just grab a device with one hand and going to the couch to jam for ten minutes while the kids do their homework. It’s about not having to mess with 12V USB cables and powerbanks in the other hand. There’s a reason why the OP-1 is iconic: it offers a unique workflow in a portable form factor. Elektron has a similarly unique workflow, like a fusion between step sequencers and trackers. They’re just missing the portability.

If I were at Elektron, I’d consider the opportunity. They seem to build very robust devices for the “pro” musicians who either take these devices on stage or have them as part of their stationary studio rig. I think there are at least 10X more bedside musicians who are prioritizing convenience over reliability.

7 Likes

An OP-1 sized Elektron, battery powered, thin, klicky-klak buttons, mini-er click encoders, full width screen, mix of Syntakt engines, synth engines, sampling, sequencing.

Take. (Almost) Everyone’s. Money.

5 Likes

That makes even less sense to me than what I was thinking :stuck_out_tongue:

If the use case is indoors and convenience most persons would use AC power.

But hey, if they wanted to do their own take on a M8 tracker/PO line, all the better!

Are you sure about that?

I’m not so sure as you.

When I go to the couch, I don’t plug in a device. I use a battery powered device. My dog would be constantly tripping over a cord. I’d have to run it under the couch. It would be a pain and an inconvenience to unplug it from my desk, fish out the power brick, move to the couch. Plug it in.

All for a 10 minute jam before tea and biscuits?

Yeah, I’m one of the very few I guess, not in the ‘most persons’ crowd. No bueno.

4 Likes

I didn’t say there was zero market or use case, or that I wouldn’t ever use it as I obviously use external batteries and cables from time to time.

I’m sure there’s a potential design that could take advantage of it, but “Digi series but internal battery” doesn’t sound different enough to justify the re-engineering.

1 Like

11 Likes

Agree. It would have to be a thinner lighter OP-1, Polyend type device.

My Electribe2/2s or my iPad are my wire free couch jammers.

Ok, ok… you caught me lying… toilet jammers.

1 Like

Named my next band all by myself this time.

3 Likes

We still don’t have an analogue tone … which we won’t get I guess.

But an 8 track virtual analogue “Analog Eight”-tone as companion for the Digitone would be cool and I’d definitely buy it :wink:

6 Likes

be cool for em to come up with a new portable paradigm rather than just a mini digibox. like elektron meets m8 tracker / op1 but with some kind of new way of sequencing rather than the usual 16 trig buttons, due to its size.

something with depth. deep synthesis, lots of knobs, hands on manipulation. a big ass screen.

and a battery :sunglasses:

1 Like

To be fair, they did try this with the Power Handle for the Models. But it was a failure because of the design. So I don’t blame them for shying away from this route for a while.

1 Like

Im still trying.

Wallpaper?

1 Like

I hope it’s something fucking massive. Elektron Grand Piano, with physical modelling, FM, rompler, and 16 physical outs. 16 digital monophonic voices with completely modular routing and voice allocation. Like a hybrid between a Monomachine and a fucking Yamaha Montage. That’s what I would start selling things for.

It won’t be though, will it? It’ll probably be some tiny battery-powered thing that only works via Bluetooth and requires subscription software to do anything.

1 Like

Guessing a 0.14739% chance of this happening.

Maybe a MIDI keyboard controller (has anyone said that yet?)

Basically all the extra bits on the Digitone Keys but without the Digitone.

If daddy Elektron is kind it would have a sequencer in it.