The risk of invisibility when refusing to list gear in YouTube video title

Good discussion about this topic (YouTube monetisation) on Hacker News today:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=34225192

2 Likes

When I was a kid, everyone wanted to be a guitarist in a rock band, then growing up everyone wanted to be famous DJs, then everyone wanted to be millionaire yuppies, then ADV graphic designers, then social media managers, now youtubers…

who knows what the crazy ambition of the future will be

1 Like

…all clickbait sux dix…

show off tutorials, tips and workflows on certain gear…
or…
show off ur music and performmance…

u can’t be serious with both at once for real…
and what pays off the most, end of all days, IS NOTHING BUT UR REALNESS…

2 Likes

… lots of people once went to record stores and just watched out for the word “Moog” …

1 Like

3 Likes

Yeah, here’s the back of a Japanese record from 1981 (Logic System - Logic)

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I’m enjoying the Essence of The Computer right now!

2 Likes

At the beginning this is what I was doing. I just gave a name to my track:

Almost 0 visibility indeed (titles too abstract for people to know what the video is about :rofl: )

Now I add the name of the gear as I know that it could help to discuss with some other passionate producers. It works better, which is more motivating to keep going. I think if one wants to have visibility, the better is maybe to do some shows in real life… (would love to do that actually but not prepared yet).

2 Likes

personally I don’t see anything wrong with putting gear list in the title / description for visibility, for me it does not necessarily mean that the content is bad or someone is trying to sell me something.

when I started looking for a synth I did it from youtube, I would put the synth name I wanted to hear in the search.
that’s how I’ve discovered many channels that I still watch and get inspired by like substan, 59perlen, martin strutzer, etc.
also I really like seeing how other people work with instruments and how creative they are being with it, so from my perspective listing the gear is a good thing and inspiring.

what did discourage me from viewing a video with the (pardon my language but there’s no other words in my vocabulary for it) scammy / sleasy thumbnails and titles like “Don’t buy a [insert name here] before watching this video” or “5 reasons why you need this” with a shocked stretched face like many youtubers that are probably doing for the money as a job, and that does not inspire me in any way so I avoid these videos by all means.

but that’s me, am I the demographic for these youtubers? probably not…
if you wanna make good money you need to be one of these:

• be very original
  • be very good
  • become the statistically accurate representation - i.e. give people what they want, not necessarily what you want
2 Likes

Now I add the name of the gear as I know that it could help to discuss with some other passionate producers.

That’s basically what I do, too. My favorite comments are the ones asking about how or why I do certain things in the video, which usually comes from the producers and/or gear enthusiasts.

2 Likes

I say just name your tracks after gear. Doesn’t even need to be gear you own. My next EP is titled “CS-80 Jupiter 8 OSCar Live Sex NFT Podcast EP”

3 Likes

I think you got the Sex part wrong that will reduce reach on YT. Even just saying the word in your content is detrimental (especially the first 15 seconds).
Try: “Donald Trump CS-80 vs Elon Musk Jupiter 8 Crypto NFT Podcast UFC fight EP”

but I think you are on to a winning philosophy for initial impressions… just might fall short on watch time :wink:

6 Likes

“Étude for Yamaha GX-1, performed on a Korg Monotron Delay”

3 Likes

interesting to know!

“Jordan Peterson And Donald Trump absolutely own this libtard CS-80 vs Elon Musk Jupiter 8 Crypto NFT Podcast UFC fight EP” it is!

6 Likes

You forgot “ASMR study music” there.

3 Likes

Also need minecraft in there. I get tons of recommendations for minecraft related videos.

1 Like

Not gonna lie, this would be a pretty cool title for some dystopian scifi concept album! Or maybe tracklist of the album, I don’t know.

I’d even go so far as to guess that most people would even get the algorithm-pleasing reference.

All it’s missing now is a Andrew Tate Top G reference, a Joe Rogan Comment, and a thumbnail of some chicks backside wearing those yoga pants with the wedgie butt seam!

I wonder what the AI script/image engines would come up with?

ah yes, we probably need to say “AI” in there as well.

:wink:

Thanks for The Vape.
My life is still incomplete but that was a needed piece.

Also, i found that his work with photography is disturbing and scary AF.