The Running Thread

Definitely agree that being supported by strong muscles is good for your joints, and that building up strength around them through hard work is a worthwhile positive (I’m basically a lapsed, evangelical runner) but I do think it makes sense to do what we can to minimise the impact of hammering away at our bony hinges. It’s why I’m so keen to stress good shoes, good technique and mindfulness as you go. Wear and tear is real, and it’s coming for us all.

Very glad to hear that it’s sorting out your knees and hips :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good technique is definitely key. It’s been interesting getting into proper training. Running slower to run faster actually makes a lot of sense. When you learn an instrument you start off with slow considered movements and gently pick up speed. I think a lot of people think they can just run but I found that it is quite tricky to master efficiently

2 Likes

Great thread. I started running regularly (3-5x a week, around 45km in total) in August 2020 and it has done wonders for my physical and mental health, as well as my sleep.

4 Likes

I just found out there is a marathon in Helsinki this year in August. My partner is Finnish so I’m seriously considering signing up

3 Likes

Random shoe question - I’m planning to start more fitness training and was looking at shoes designed for this, such as the Reebox X2. Are these shoes good for jogging/running as well, or is it better to wear a dedicated running shoe?

1 Like

I’d always say a good pair of neutral (non support) running shoes may suit as well for any kind of fitness activity.

Neutral also because you will need to build up muscles where required instead of your body relying on passive physical supporting cushions.

Edit: and please don’t go by colour or brand. Good fit is essential!

1 Like

I was using basic shoes and upgraded lately to very fine Brooks. It radically changed the experience, I don’t suffer from the ankles, knees or hips anymore. As a non-expert, I highly recommend good quality shoes.

2 Likes

I’ve been running since my mid-twenties, with a few on and off phases for some months… Now I’m 41 and try to run at least once per week. Then I usually go for 8-9km. I was pretty good a few years ago but I also had way more time on hand: below 39 minutes for 10k. At least for me, that was very good :smiley:

These days, I only do it for my mental health, stopped tracking my time and I never listen to music. I tried music once and it was just too much for me to take in. I’m a pretty sensitive person and the rush of running is enough for me to let my thoughts drift almost immediately. But it also takes a lot of practice, I guess. It’s a bit like meditation in the end.

I found that training more than two times per week or going for a faster pace will easily result in injuries. I learned to listen to my body and I feel like a breathing machine while running. Breathing is so important for running! Especially if you’re getting older, it is very important to slowly adjust your running load or injuries will happen. I had many smaller injuries over the years but I always came back after a few weeks or months, just take it slowly.

As for shoes, I switched to bare foot shoes a few years ago, but not for running. I think my feet aren’t strong enough for that. I tried it a few times but that resulted in injuries again. Maybe, I need to be more patient, not my strong suit…

I used to run in Nike Pegasus and they’re nice for a neutral shoe with a lot of support. I switched over to some Altra Escalante Racer and I think, I won’t go back anytime soon.

4 Likes

I’d love to be able to do this! But I’m such a lethargic person in the morning… Was it easy for you to pick up this schedule?

1 Like

I’m using Saucony Triumph for everyday easy stuff and then Saucony Endorphin Speed for fast paced training and races. I have a pretty big heel orthotic in my right shoe and Sauconys seem to have a lot

1 Like

Never thought of doing anything else. But I’m a natural early bird and don’t like sleeping in a lot. Even if it’s dark, cold or rainy I dress with an extra layer an take a headlight.

You can get used to that if you make it a constant routine.

1 Like

Literally never in my life, except early childhood, did I get up early when I didn’t have to :smiley:

But I also made it a rule, when I started running, to always do it, no matter the conditions. I live in northern Germany where it’s cold and rainy almost half of the year. And then there’s summer with plus 40 degrees celsius :smiley: You get used to it and if I didn’t, I’d find excuses every time.

I personally LOVE to run when it’s really hot - which is a bit weird because I hated heat when I was younger.

1 Like

Funny you’re saying this. I literally can’t feel like running when it’s above 20C … which definitely helps getting up and do this early morning when everything still sleeps. :grin:

1 Like

I’m an early bird. I’m pretty much fucked after lunch and turn into a zombie so running at 5am doesn’t bother me because I would be awake anyway.

2 Likes

This is great for mobility and reducing soreness (I turned 50 last year)

My dad who is on strong immune suppressants has been taking it for years and said without it he would not be able to move.

I like to go out at 5am as I tend to swear at traffic later on as there are no cameras and very low
Police presence where I live so 30mph zones operate more like 45mph!

Another runner here :wave: semi regular 5k, 10k, and the odd half a couple of times a year, never really thought I’d take to it but lockdown sucked ass and it seemed like it was worth a try to boost my general wellbeing and mental health, I also ride bikes on and off, so yeah 51 years young and fitter than I was in my twenties and thirties… exercise is great :blush:

7 Likes

You’ll likely get as many answers to this as people you ask. Shoes are pretty personal.

I think there’s a lot of value in zero drop, wide toe box shoes. Not to be confused with minimalist shoes, although there’s often overlap, as you can still get 30 mm stacks with lots of cushion.

Lots of value in a rotation if you’re doing lots of volume too. I usually have 2 pairs of road shoes and 2 pairs of trail shoes, buying older versions when they go on sale.

2 Likes

I started running about 10 years ago in my late twenties. I was doing a lot of rock climbing so felt strong and in shape but running to catch a bus would nearly kill me, so I knew something was up.

On a holiday I read a book called Born to Run, which was inspiring so started when I got back. I ran 1k to the supermarket and my body felt like it was going into meltdown and I emergency bought lots of food :laughing: I stuck with doing that 1km every night and attended Parkrun (which is an amazing thing) and eventually got comfortable with 5km a few times a week with a goal to run out in nature about 10km and definitely no further.

Then I met my future wife at a music festival who was big into running and training for a half marathon. Eventually I built the endurance to run a half marathon a couple years later. Fast forward and I have run a few marathons and some ultra marathons, the longest being 100km, which is a silly distance to run in a day. I can say I prefer to run an ultra than a marathon—marathons are sooo tough and you get more free snacks at an ultra :sweat_smile:

We just moved from London UK to Colorado USA and the outdoors here is pretty amazing but the lack of oxygen at this altitude is crazy. It took a solid 4 months to adjust. We are now running 3-4 times a week to train for a couple marathons. We have joined a social run club, which I highly recommend to anyone starting out.

Running is fantastic for mental and physical well being, sorting out your thoughts at the beginning/end of the day, plus surely the cheapest sport you can do, and something you can get better at long into old age, couldn’t recommend it highly enough if anyone reading this thread is considering it :raised_hands:

Weirdly after all this I don’t really consider myself a runner.

7 Likes

Running is pretty essential for me. Probs about 40-50km per week at the moment, but will be quite a bit more if training for something. Resets the brain! Really enjoy full and half marathons, but need to find one for this year - last half was in 2021 and last full was bloody ages ago (2019?). Never done an ultra, but one day…

Got a pair of vibrams and made the switch to forefoot running in 2011 after reading Born to Run. Man that was tough! Had 2 or 3 years of recurrent injuries. Never confirmed by scans etc. but pretty sure I had several metatarsal stress fractures and either a tibial periosteal reaction or stress fracture. Grim. Amazing what 30+ years of deconditioning by heel striking will do!
I’m very happy that I run on my forefeet now and have thankfully been injury free since ~2014, but if I could go back to 2011, I would probably have recommended the old me not to do it!

Run on Altra Escalantes now. Perfect if you want zero drop, minimal/flexible sole and have v. wide feet like me. Altra Lone Peaks for the off road.

Have bone conduction headphones and mostly listen to audiobooks or podcasts whilst trotting (currently on Faith, Hope and Carnage by Nick Cave).
LCD soundsystem’s 45:33 was intentionally made for running to wasn’t it? It’s quite good for that. Was enjoying running to Agor by Koreless last year too.

2 Likes

Did my first run for…years and years…last week. I was away for work. Usually I cycle every day. Running makes so much more sense if you have to travel. Just trainers, and go! I only did two short runs (20mins) over the course of the week, but it was pretty revelatory. Got the exercise buzz from a much smaller dose than cycling, clearly very efficient and convenient.

Decided that going forward I will do two runs a week, so that I can make more of it when I need to travel for work.

5 Likes