The Vinyl Thread

Think the ones i have are from 1940s

1 Like

So theses lasts days I felt into a rabid hole inside the vinyl rabid hole itself and it is vinyl cleaningā€¦

I started to wath YouTube videos, on what is the perfect liquid mix ā€¦ and finished to ask myself should I buy a ultra sonic cleaning machine?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How do you clean yours?

I used to clean records professionally and used this stuff. Always amazing results on the machine I used.

Ultrasonic cleaners are great but the good ones that compete with the likes of the Loricraft PRC4 are expensive and mechanically complex.

It sure is a rabbit hole. I did the same and ended up offering cleaning services but most people were reluctant to pay more than Ā£2 to clean a 12ā€.

This is such a machine. Nice to use but a BIG commitment.

1 Like

Nice story ! Thanks a lot for the advices. Definitely I will not spent thousants euros for a cleaning machine.

What is your opinions on this kind of stuff?

I have used similar cleaners . They are OK, but not great. Quite boring g to use and you have wet records that need to be dried and the drying can leave water stains.

Also you risk getting the label wet.

Even with my expensive machines I often had to run them through more than once, and new vinyl can benefit from a clean sometimes as quality control, especially with all these cheap represses, which can be greasy and dust magnets.

My best advice is , ditch the paper sleeves and replace with anti static sleeves. Never touch the vinyl unless youā€™re djing. Use a carbon bristle brush before playing then again before you resleeve it.

If you have low humidity then the static will be stronger and the dust attracted more.

If you can find someone who has a pro cleaning machine then pay them to clean all your best records and resleeve them. Then handle them with care and they will be good for many years.

I used to clean whole collections. Each clean would take 7 minutes so 2 Ā£/ā‚¬ is a fair price if you are having a lot done.

I put most of my records in anti static sleeves already. I will just use a brush and some cleaning product to test if it is effective. The idea to use a cleaning service service was already in my mind, yes. I think it can be a good move for my most valuable records.

1 Like

I just got a bunch of my parentsā€™ old records from storage, and though I should clean them up. Until now I have been using an alcohol/deionized water spray and doing it manually.

I bought a Spincare cleaner, which is a manual wet scrubber, and it seems to have worked well.

My problem is with static. Even after a wet clean, some of the records still have quite a lot. Hoping it improves as the weather gets warmer/more humid.

Iā€™m totally loving my new vinyl setup, though. Some of the records sound way better than digital. I guess the masters must be less compressed?

What is not available on streaming services?
What would I like my kids to find in my record collection when Iā€™ve kicked the bucket?
What is so dear to me that I have to own it in some physical form?
Which artists do I want to support by spending my hard earned money?

4 Likes

I went a bit mad last night and spent Ā£232 on new records. Iā€™ve never stopped buying vinyl since 1987 but that was the most Iā€™d spent in 1 go in decades.

4 Likes

Vinyl is a safe haven today.

2 Likes

what was the record, Iā€™m curious?

I have a kind of rules to not exceed 100ā‚¬ for one LP/Album

Sorry I might not have been clear. It was 8 records but bought in one order.

2 Likes

Speaking of expensive records, my copy of Four Tetā€™s Sixteen Oceans 2023 Repress just arrived, and I got hit at my door for customs payment from the delivery person. Iā€™m in the EU, and it came from the U.K. Prices converted to ā‚¬.

LP: ā‚¬27.12 (exc U.K. VAT)
Shipping ā‚¬16.15
Duty: ~ā‚¬13

Total ā‚¬56.27

Thatā€™s the last U.K. order I make!

1 Like

Also there is stuff that I refuse to listen to on streaming services, such as Coltrane for example.

2 Likes

I forgot to post about this in here - I bought a stack of 80/90s records for less than Ā£1 a piece and itā€™s wall to wall bangers

There are at least 2 copies of Relax in there :laughing:

I picked them up mostly for the sampling challenges me and @aarb420 run :robot:

6 Likes

My Aphex collection (not updated) :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Every time I see a vinyl Drukqs, my heart sinks.
I would love to get a Surfing on Sine Waves too.

2 Likes

This is currently my garage, 99% of these records I bought in the 90ā€™s

The collection was left in my parents garden shed for approx 15 years, Iā€™d not bothered looking in the shed for about a decade. about 2 years ago I visited my parents and decided to look in the shed, to my horror the shed roof had been leaking onto the records, black rot was on the ceiling and fungus growing everywhere. I just shut the door and thought fuck it Iā€™ll let them rot.

But it was eating away at me so I ordered a IKEA rack built it in my garage then every time I visited my parents I filled the car with vinyl until I got the lot, well almost all some of the covers were just rotten so I left those in the shed, all my Yoshitoshi were ruined but I didnā€™t mind as it was a boring label anyway.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s cool about my vinyl collection is I spent the 90s collecting labels rather than just buying tracks I liked.

so by concentrating on labels Iā€™d be buying stuff I didnā€™t always like, but as your music taste broadens as you grow I find now Iā€™m digging out tracks I love now that Iā€™d of never liked back then therefore wouldnā€™t of bought.

3 Likes

Many years ago I won a copy of SOSW on eBay along with an orange vinyl copy of B12ā€™s Electro-Soma, both advertised as near mint. Since the seller was local I went to collect, had a quick look at them and saw they were covered in cig/weed burns :sweat_smile:. Classic online grading and great examples of ā€˜DJ near mintā€™.

I did take them with some money knocked off and weirdly SOSW is actually relatively listenable, though I do slightly fear for my stylus whenever I play it. Electro-Soma less so, that got sold on for not very much!

1 Like