Thinking of giving up the Digitakt for the OP-Z -- anyone use both?

what do you mean? Of course you can record unquantized.

also possible with DT. or what does the OPz better in that regard?

I haven’t used sounds very much at all. I didn’t know you could save the slices from a chain into separate sounds. I’m definitely going to try that out. Right now I kind of manually grab slices from a longer sample as I go, by p-locking the start and length. It’s quite quick, but re-using a “slice” involves a lot of risky cut and paste.

2 Likes

Oh dude well there you go, exactly what you wish is already inside the DT. Start saving discrete sounds from a chain to your sound pool, it works extremely well and is non-destructive in regards to the chain. You can grab a snippet from the radio or a record or whatever and get your one-shots from it all dialed in, but since the entire sample still exists in that “Sound” you can use LFOs or whatever to modulate end points or loop points, it’s like the best of both worlds. I wouldn’t get rid of the DT before exploring the sound pool, I’m sure you’re good at using the DT and all that but frankly, if you’re not using the pool then you’re underutilizing the Digitakt in a pretty big way.

2 Likes

the Op-Z is way smoother when live recording stuff to the sequencer. with Rytm and Digitakt I always had to re arrange one or two trigs to sound right and with unquantized timing I mean like a looper pedal or general audio recording character.

of course they both do CC sequencing but I rather like the OP-Z implementation and the ability to record external CCs on top of the internal ones. it’s all so smooth and fast and the sheer amount of updates has changed the Z tremendously into a more satisfying product.

maybe iam so stoked because it fits into my personal setup so damn well, like the ability to use it as a soundcard for the raspberry pi which runs Organelle patches and can handle incoming and outgoing digital Audio from the Z.

and you turn it on/off just like you Turn on the internal mic or external signals, damn fast.

1 Like

I’ve had the Digitakt for about a year now and just recently acquired the OP-Z, as I was really interested in its workflow. I’ve had a lot of fun with the Z, but I would not trade my Digitakt for it. The digi is a well built and well designed drum machine and I think we will find ourselves admiring it for many years, despite some of its head scratching limitations i.e. lack of song mode and post record sample slicing. I find the Z to be a complementary side kick, as it stores my drum/ cymbal kits (up to 24 Samples per tracks 1-4, not bad) as well as some nice synth samples acquired online or recorded from my own synths. If I go midi out from the digi, I can play/ sequence these samples on the midi tracks while in chromatic mode. Obviously that frees up more tracks on the digi, for more melodic samples etc. I really love this combo. If I need to do some serious sample slicing, I turn to the z, as it is offers more control. Otherwise the digi is where the bulk of my song creation occurs, sending program changes to the z if necessary. All that to say, I would keep the Digitakt and save up for the OP-Z, which doesn’t quite measure up in terms of build quality, but is super fun and is a truly unique design / concept. If the Z had the same build quality as the digi, with better synth engines and better effects, I might actually favor the Z. But the digi’s delay and reverb sound sounds good, it’s a keeper in my opinion.

I’ve had a crack at sounds and sound locks, but it’s a pain to set them up. You have to manually load a sample, then save and name each one as a sound.

I find it a lot easier to just load a few samples, and then sample-lock them, which is just as easy as sound locking. You can also assign the LFO to a sample slot, but not to a sound, afaict. Back to the OP-Z for this.

But I’ve been exploring using the LFO to modulate sample start on spoken-word phrases. Oh my! It’s amazing. I’ve already come up with two viable song roots using it.

The OP-Z and the Digitakt have a large crossover in basic functionality, especially on paper, but they are very different machines. And I don’t think I’m going to be selling either anytime soon.

I’m looking to be able to restore previous states on external midi devices. That is, I want to be able to send midi cc messages to it and then, when I want to go back, restore the original state again. I know that Digitakt and OP-Z can do this with the kit reload and snapshot reload functions respectively, but how does this work with external devices? Do any of the two machine send out all the original midi cc values stored when restoring a previos state?