Thinking of going back in the box

So when you use Overbridge, your DAW reports 0ms latency?

I do both and find a hybrid approach works well for me. If I’m just messing about on modulars, then record direct to Bluebox and upload later. But with the 1010 Bluebox, I need to figure out why my recordings are not in stereo.

I started with hardware, went to a hybrid setup, then strictly ITB, then sold almost all my gear and quit for years. Eventually I got some hardware again, quickly went to a hybrid setup, then went hardware only, modular, sold modular, quit smoking weed, and now I’m back to ITB. Call it lack of conviction.

8 Likes

I didn’t check, but definitely never enough to notice. I’ll see what I get when I get back to my computer.

1 Like

Was trapped in the box and they let me out because brad Pitt asked what was in the box and I said”they’re just crocks man !”! Started my journey inthe chiptune scene with lsdj and nanoloop and NES midi / ended up using ableton and ableton push / went to drum machines and nanoloop / needed a better drum machine and got the rytm / got the OT and digitone and tried making a trio setup happen / sold the OT and got the pyramid because I thought I needed more midi power / didn’t like the pyramid and ended up with polyend tracker / sold the poly end tracker after I got M8 and tried to use m8 and polyend tracker and digitone together / now happy with m8 but need more midi focused studio gear and have been saving up for the hapax and some synthesizers and a multitrack recording mixer. My plan is to stay in the box until I’m in a box :sweat_smile: after using M8 I wanted to master renoise but as a console gamer I suck at PC ergonomics and controls and only ever got comfortable with ableton after getting push and having a dedicated hardware device to sequence from. I still miss my OT because I had some good projects but I’m less of a sampler guy and more of a synthesizer sound explorer. Also over the years I’ve had my chiptune midi fail at shows because of USB way too many times but that’s pretty subjective to your laptop or desktop state. Anyways it’s been a long 13 year journey and my 13th birthday was on Friday the 13th . So here’s to 13 years of being in the box and connected to my hardware like a tree is connected to the earth with its roots….

1 Like

P.s. Sorry my grammar is so bad I really don’t care I just use synthesizers lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: my brain mushy do the druqks album too much.

same here, I tried a few times before m8 but could never really get into the workflow. thought I’d struggle with m8 in a similar fashion but to my surprise i connected with it immediately. still thinking about giving renoise another go sometime. mibe :slight_smile:

1 Like

DAW reports 11.2 ms of input latency and 21.2 output, with Driver performance mode set to Normal, which is completely unnoticeable. If I set Driver performance mode to Highest speed, I get an Expected output latency of 10 ms, but have never had to mess with the default setting.

1 Like

I did mapped a ps4 gamepad to renoise and made the controls similar to lsdj (m8) ! Made it more fun to select notes with the gamepad like you do with the handheld!

1 Like

Intriguing. Did you use some software to turn the ds4 into a midi controller?

1 Like

I’d love to see that in action :sunglasses:

1 Like

The computer is the peoples instrument.
It is also infinitely customizable and far cheaper than a hardware rig.

7 Likes

I’ve gradually sold all my hardware (which was never much at any one time) and am excited to just do everything in Bitwig with a new M2 MBA, which is on the way. I thought about returning to some old favourites like Subharmonicon and 0-Coast but it made more sense to get a decent laptop that will do everything in one box with some headphones.

2 Likes

I’ve been back in the box a bit more lately (with a limited hybrid setup), mostly due to its portability. I am at my cabin and am using Logic as a sound source for multiple tracks composed with a Hapax sequencer. Simple, yet vast if I want.

2 Likes

You use ds4 windows app and map it out or use any gamepad mapping device with the renoise controls open / mapping it to mouse movement / click then change note and also the record so you can lay down notes.

1 Like

5-pin midi > Usb midi :sunglasses:

1/4th outputs > USB audio :cowboy_hat_face:

For those of you who have gone ITB, especially if you’ve come from a hardware setup; what is you approach to MIDI control? (Note; this is purely out of interest, as the appeal of hardware is often stated as being the tactile side.)

I know many producers who simply use keyboard & mouse and/or trackpad. Then there’s those who have a small MIDI controler with mini keys (think Launchkey Mini, MPK Mini Plus, Keystep 37.) Then there’s the bigger full-size key end of things. And of course there’s the option of pairing a keyboard like that with a pad controller, or even potentially skipping keys and going fully towards a pad based controller like the Push or the Maschine.

Be interested to hear how folks tackle that when switching away from hardware.

I have a Keystep 37 which I’m pretty happy with in Reason 10. It has four knobs with four banks of CV values, so I’ve programmed the first CC bank to automatically control the active instrument in Reason, and the other 3 banks I use for specific instrument parameters on a per-project basis. For example, maybe I’ve set up a LP filter on the drum bus, and I assigned knob 1 on bank 2 to control the filter cutoff of it. That way, I can jam live and try ideas on the key elements of a track before committing to automation lanes. I can also record those automation lanes live, just like I would if recording from a hardware synthesizer. This makes it more fun for me.

When recording my Syntakt into the DAW, I don’t worry about transferring the midi notes for the tracks at the moment. If I want to replace a sound from the Syntakt with an instrument in the DAW, I find that it actually takes less time for me to just punch those midi notes into the piano roll than to mess with midi configurations to get the actual midi data from the Syntakt.

3 octaves of keys of good enough for most of my use and it’s a compromise of space on my desk. I’d love a fourth or even fifth octave, especially in the early jamming phase of song writing, and I have a Roland A49 for those use cases, but in all honesty I almost never use it. I find that I can often times play with the more limited range by just transposing the bass an octave while noodling and then quickly correcting that in the piano roll after it’s been recorded.

That’s me. Just draw notes into a piano roll. There is no more accurate sequencer than that. Or I just do away with that and sequence envents based off LFOs and stuff like that in a virtual modular environment. The computer keyboard suffices in either case (imo)