Thinking of going back in the box

I’ve actually tried using the iPad as a heart of a hybrid setup, but it’s just clunky. I feel either Bitwig or Reason would be perfect for me.

2 Likes

I just switched back too. I packed up everything except Ableton and a Push 2. I also have an iConnect audio interface which lets you hook up two computers at once. I’m using it with a Mac and an iPad.

On the iPad I’m running Koala sampler. This way, I can quickly sample anything from Ableton, and send it back again. I’m using the Push to sequence, which isn’t as good as Elektron or OP-Z sequencers, but less complicated than hooking everything up via midi.

It’s fantastic. I’m mostly using my own samples plus Operator.

4 Likes

Recommendations for a low latency audio interface? Budget less than 500 euros. 4 inputs enough.

MOTU M4.

It’s boss

5 Likes

Like mentioned. MOTU M4 will be your best bang for buck when it comes to latency. Sounds great too!

1 Like

Cheers. Is there only 1 version of this thing? (I don’t want to order an old mk by mistake…)

Yeah, there’s no MK1 bullshit.

There’s the M2, M4 and an M6, the number obviously relates to inputs.

If you buy one, make sure you download the new driver off the website, as it opens up internal loopback features and improves the already impressive latency.

3 Likes

I agree with everything you said here. I too, generally hate the sound of soft synths but love the effects/post processing power of a DAW. I was about to go full hybrid and get a MacBook, a Push 2, and something like the APC 80. Then I scored an RC-505 MKII by trading in some gear I never used (Roland MV1, Pocket Operator collection, + a few other bits). The hands on/performance mixer/looper setup allows me to do everything I would want to do in a DAW in real time, so I’m essentially live looping in the studio now. This changed everything. I’m not going hybrid now. Team fuckabox. Hallelujah.

Edit: to be completely honest, I’m still gonna get the hybrid setup completed at some point, I’m just no longer in any kind of hurry to make it happen.

Edit 2: I sometimes miss my PO’s.

5 Likes

I love the sound of softsynths. Luckily for my wallet, it doesn’t matter to me, I mold the sound into what I want it to be with my synths or ITB.

On that note the Ableton synths are crazy good, I just keep going back to them lately for most things. The Wavetable is insanely deep, you can make about any sound with it, and its a joy to modulate.

1 Like

For those that use Ableton push - how is the integration with the ableton synths? Operator, analogue, wavetable? Is it smooth integration? Easy to program just using the push?

That’s where it shines the most IMO - I wasn’t a huge fan of the Push when I tried it tbh as I felt like I was doing a lot of menu diving - but when focussing on a single native device it works really well.

I grabbed these stills from a video Ableton have on this topic:

5 Likes

Thanks. It seems push 2 is out of stock everywhere…

1 Like

I feel like it must be due an update by now - I guess it probably still does everything it needs to do, so maybe that’s being greedy. The screen is the main thing I think could do with an update which would probably need slightly more powerful hardware. I wanted it to be sharper when I tried one but I don’t see many people complain about it so I might be too picky. It’s something I don’t think comes across on videos but struck me immediately in real life.

For what it’s worth I actually preferred the Akai APC40 MKii - it’s not a screen replacement and doesn’t give you a playing surface so might not suit your needs but I really liked it as a hands-on companion to Ableton.

I’m currently trying to decide on a synth/Groovebox to go with my Perkons. I really think the sound I get out of ableton is unmatched by hardware (unless you have ALL the toys) but it’s not much fun clicking with a mouse in Ableton so that’s why I’m considering the push.

1 Like

Yea I think we all have this thought from time to time haha - even just sticking with stock Ableton plugins there’s not really anything you can’t create - it just doesn’t afford the same kind of exploration/experience - it’s a tough nut to crack! I always enjoy working with Ableton though, just in a different way. I think if you invest in learning the Push and reworking your muscle memory it does a great job of filling that gap - you will defintiely still find yourself reaching for the mouse from time to time though haha

2 Likes

I’ll go ahead and opportunistically state that I’m selling my recently obtained one w/ a nice custom wood case – just need to cover some bills and it’s not the right time to try and re-invent my workflow besides. DM me if you might be keen.

From the limited time I spent with it, it seems like a very well thought out device with a ton of potential for opening up the stock Ableton devices; the pads are also nice for melodic noodling outside of the typical keyboard format, especially since they stack in 4ths by default like a guitar. I did find myself having trouble deciding when to focus on the Push screen + interface and when to simply grab the mouse and get on with it – presumably this is something that would become more fluid over time.

Question for the itb warriors - what controller gives you the best experience when controlling a soft synth? I’ve been considering a push 2 or maybe one of the soundforce boxes.

I use a Reface CS for this purpose and works quite well, plus you get a quite nice synth. Through I imagine a dedicated Soundforge controller will work better, I sometimes wish the sliders of the CS were a bit taller.
That could be a nice cheap alternative, as nowadays you can find them used for like 200€.

My LaunchpadPro is a great midi controller. So is my DigitoneKeys, and my Digitakt.

I have a NI komplete kontrol keyboard which is great for nks ready vsts

If it’s not nks ready so can make presets for it in the software