To buy or not to buy: four vs rytm

Which is when you start GASing for the OT :panda:

Seriously, they are all great boxes in their own right. I suggest looking for some demos online to see which box has a sound you gravitate towards the most.

2 Likes

Pretty costly toys…
Don’t rush things. Namm may release more suitable gears for your setup!

Other option: try to find a very good second hand of one or the other? You won’t lose to much and will have a better idea of the product.

Btw: AR does not sample! You can not record anything from the input. It accepts files ( wav. Aiff) uploaded in the machine through the usb cable. If you want to sample, you have to record through your daw, render and then export.

2 Likes

really like the OT, dont get me wrong. i’ve noticed that it is easily the most present in genres i like, and i like to go slightly my own way on things

yeah, im aware of how samples load into the rytm. that work flow is totally fine with me. i have about 4-6 kicks/base frequencies that i use the jomox for. as of now the idea was import them into the rytm, save, and manipulate as needed. the jomox isn’t great for live sound design so leaving that piece out of a live setup doesn’t bother me.

don’t really like to buy things freshout of namm, just because of a lack of consumer feed back.

I say get a RYTM, you’re obviously curious about it.
If you don’t like it, sell it or trade it for an A4.

I agree the AR is the simplest of the black boxes, but it’s really fun, and quite “playable.”
Samples sound really good in the RYTM.

The A4 has grown on me quite a bit, but I still believe it’s functionality is greater than it’s sound capabilities.

If I were you tho, I’d ditch the 303, 606, jp08, mbase, and volca beats, replace them with the RYTM A4 combo.

1 Like

i would never ditch the 303.

ever.

2 Likes

i bought both at the same time. that was a fun way to do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

is it possible to control which key chromatic mode plays in? i can’t imagine they would stick you with only a minor, or something, but i’d like to confirm obviously. just checked out the manual, but it isn’t clear on this. i see it has a four octave range which is desirable.

Unfortunately it’s just chromatic, no keys.

so what, the key is relative to the sample?

Chromatic means you can play in whatever key you want… is there any other type of 12 tone keyboard?

I really really like the Rytm. I have the Keys as well. If I had to ditch one, I’d probably keep the the Rytm. Sample management is a drag, but can work. I use it playing with an external controller often. I did this for jamuary using just the Rytm:

4 Likes

Yeah and I’d choose the Rytm over the Four any day of the week

Yep that’s how it works. You can transpose using the arrow keys.

got it. trigger pulled. thanks for all of the info. i look forward to being a moderately functional community member. ruckus acid tracks to follow!

2 Likes

I was going to say something quippy like “5th drum machine’s a charm”, but A4 would have been the 5th synth too.

One thing is certain, you’ll love it.

2 Likes