Top 5 eurorack modules and why?

I love the idea of this thread. It will probably be a GAS source… On the other hand getting inspiration from you guys will hopefully bring nice new ideas :slight_smile:

I’m a huge Nerdeseq fan, because it is extremely powerful.
I don’t use all of it’s functions, but I do use so many useful things ot of it. I find it extremely comfortable thanks to the screen. To me this sequencer allows for very complex structures with ease. And it contains so many very useful tools to get all sort of melodies and modulations linked to a common clock that it is really often the brain of my system.

USTA is completely different from any other sequencers and I reach very different melodic landscapes when sequencing with it . I’m really in love with Usta.

Rossum Assimil8tor is very comfortable for live looping and mangling. I use it a lot and I sample audio and CV with it. It’s a very advanced synthesis and sound design tool.

the Rossum Control Forge is also a very unique module in my system. It’s complex, but I actually use it for very simple things. I often derive from my original idea when using it, but I always get something interesting out of it.

Livestock Ellis is really a useful module. It 's very easy to use and opens many door for going from a patch to a structured piece of music.

Mutable Instruments Stages: my all time favourite function module.

ALM Jumble Henge: great for creating a stereo image without much work.

After Later O_C: covers most needs when Hemisphere suite is installed.

Soma Lyra FX: batshit crazy delay/distortion

Noise Engineering BIA: because BIA.

1 Like

Of the few modules I owned: Maths and batumi made me realize the appeal of modular the most. Maths was the most patchable, most fun.
I loved the sound of Rings, but have it on the ipad now

If the 0 coast counts as a module - then this would be my top spot. Super well designed mini modular system.

3 Likes

MI Stages

MI Warps

Intellijel Atlantis

Percussa SSP

6m0d6

1 Like

I didn’t really go into modular in the A-typical sense. My setup is my modular. I used synth modules and various bits. Love the elektron ‘modular-esque’ approach. DT & OT are something in that in their own right.

I enjoyed the 0-coast. Would say that’s a mini-Buchla for everybuady.

I’m using digital/software and the monologue xd module is quite formidable though not specifically straight up modular rack gear. Wish it was my first synth as it suits my idea of covering a lot with a little. If it had audio inputs and could sequence other stuff it’d be over.

1 Like
  1. ELEMENTS [Mutable Instruments] - An excellent tool for re‑creating those mystical Tangerine Dream and ambient‑style sounds from the 1970’s/1980’s era

2. PLAITS [Mutable Instruments] - Superb oscillator able to create a myriad of sounds including a wide range of unusual percussion

3. CHAOTICA [Elby Designs] - A phenomenal CV generator for complete mayhem! Thanks to this module, my life is Total Chaos now!

4. DUAL UNIVERSAL SLOPE GENERATOR [Random Source] - The left slope generator can reach frequencies up to 10 kHz and features a 50% duty cycle Pulse output… ideal for use as a fat square-wave VCO. Extensive control over Rise and Fall times and extreme snappiness when used as an envelope

5. 4R [Transient Modules] - The best random CV generator out there. It’s extremely small at only 2HP. The inputs are independent so they can work at different clock speeds. TRIG2 can be normalized to TRIG1 using a jumper pad which makes it possible to get four random values with just one trigger. The voltage range of each output pair can be set as unipolar (0V to +5V) or bipolar (‑5V to +5V) by using jumper blocks on back of the PCB. You can set these jumpers so that two outputs are unipolar and two outputs are bipolar or make all four outputs the same

One feature all of these modules share is they are all DIY which cuts the cost down considerably

EUROCRACK DIY - A Collection Of My Favorite Eurorack DIY Projects, Build Notes, Modifications And Recommendations

5 Likes

Ornament and Crime with Hemispheres loaded

Erica pico drum

Erica pico seq

MI Braids

MI Peaks (ideally a clone with cv control)

1 Like

Joranalogue Select 2 - a pair of two input voltage processors useful to hold, mute, mix, attenuate, invert, offset, switch, and ring moduluate signals, perform logic functions, and wave splicing.

Noise Engineering Integra Solum - an interesting rotating dual clock divider/counter/randomizer, sadly out of production. This and an Instruo eäs… :ok_hand:

Verbos Random Sampling - noise, vc random gates, vc fluctuating voltages, two to four stage analog shift register than can be split out into individual sample and holds.

Joranalogue Morph 4 - a quad vca/modulation hub/panner/scanner/mixer that raises the bar in what a quad module should seek to be.

Shakmat Triple Steeple - quick and playable triple EG. Smart features, performance focused design (a common thread for Shakmat ime), manages to achieve a sum that seems greater than its parts while keeping a small yet usable footprint.

1 Like

Rossum ASSIMIL8OR
It has its drawbacks and quirks, and it is annoying that it has no “buffer” sample option like the OT, but this sampler is capable of soo many things. It can be an 8 mono voice drum machine, polyphonic crossmodulation FM style synth, CV sample library…the options are insanely broad.

Rabid Elephant Natural Gate
I must say that it really put me off looking at the price and scarcity this module has, and it is, by no means, a “must have”, but it has this certain wooden and earthy sound that is hard to replicate with other LPG’s. Definitely a boutique module, but it was worth every penny.

IME Hertz Donut MK3
Finding the right oscillator is a hard task, but this one is just so versatile. Preset morphing? No problem. Want to sound harsh? Dial in some phase modulation. Want to sound analogue? It can get really close. It has so much functionality in such a small footprint and has this razor sharp precision that I love. And it can be used as a minimal complex oscillator with its individual outputs.

XAOC Leibniz System
Not a single module per se, but kind of an expandable binary transcoding module with Drezno at its heart. This whole idea of AD/DA conversion for generating CV/Trig data and/or complex Waveshaping are a fresh approach to synthesis for me.

Make Noise Mimeophon
Despite its “hiss” issue this module is more like an instrument by itself. It has so many facettes and can mangle a simple source into such beautiful and otherworldly territories.

Honorable mention:
FIVE12 Vector Sequencer
It’s not exclusive to eurorack, but this sequencer has opened so many new ideas to me. I have love / hate relationship with it, since there is so many interesting options for complex battleship sequencers atm, but I could never part with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

maths
maths
maths
maths
mimeophon

1 Like

No particular order:

[Make Noise] Morphagene

Love to live sample my voice with it. it can be a crazy fun delay

[Strymon] Magneto

Love this delay and the pitch shift effect

[Qu-Bit] Data Bender

glitch heaven

[Mutable Instruments] Plaits

Can do so many things. I have 2 and need 2 more…

Having so many CVs to modulate the sound is crazy.

[Squarp Instruments] Hermod

Best sequencer with MIDI/CV effects

1 Like

I’m actually not super thrilled with most of the modules in my rack, many of which are compromises for cost. For example, I’d love to have a more interesting mixer (Vortices plz), but my Ladik M-610 gets the job done. There are only two that really sing to me:

3xMIA Happy Nerding
You need knives and cutting boards and stuff in order to cook. But if your knife isn’t sharp, if your cutting board is warped, the whole process becomes a pain. If your tools are well made, they feel like part of you. Suddenly you’re not just making dinner, you’re cooking. If you need something more playable, a Triatt or such like may be preferable, but 3xMIA is basically two of those in the same hp, for about the same cost, with a very modest trade-off in ergonomics. This thing is phenomenal.

Stages Mutable Instruments (qiemem)
Sooo much power. Emilie is a genius. Did you know she made the clocked LFO’s able to follow an 8 step trigger sequence??? Each stage has 12+ functions (3 colors x looping/not x gated/not, and then some depend on whether they’re a single stage or in a group), and qiemem firmware adds a fourth “color” with 4 new functions. I know that many people find this irritating, and even after owning it for 5 years I still use qiemem’s cheat sheet, but it’s just awesome. I typically use the stages singly or in pairs. My favorite thing to do with it is combine two Turing Machine’s either in series or sum. If you put a Turing stage in a multi-step sequence, it’s vaguely like having a Metropolix “accumulator” on that step where each pass through you get a different value.

I wish I had two more of each of these.

I’ll finish out with three that are highly satisfactory but I could live without.

e352 Morphing Terrarium Synthesis Technology
Lovely, versatile digital oscillator. It has some flaws, there are things I wish it did, but it sounds great and is very versatile, not least because it is easy to add your own wavetables. The 2-op FM mode is probably my favorite: you get CV over mod index, harmonicity, and wavetable position (simultaneous for both oscillators). So long as your modulator is not very bright, the modulation is well parameterized for timbral control. Main gripes: in cloud modes, the pitch goes to noise very, very quickly, with about 75% of the knob range sounding indistinguishable; only one mode has 2d wavetable morphing; it has a large panel and big knobs, and yet I am still occasionally jogging the main pitch while twisting the “X” knob.

Bitbox Micro 1010 music
Solid. No complaints. I only got this a month ago, so it may move up to “indispensable” in time. The Micro really needs midi control to get the most out of it, which is odd for a eurorack module, but fine with me since the DT is the “brain” of my setup.

Pamela’s New Workout ALM Busy Circuits
It’s a staple for a reason. It is a powerhouse. Easy to use but not playable (some are able to “play” it but not I). I’d happily switch to the Pro, which is probably the only way I’d get rid of it. If I had infinite money I’d prefer to break out its functions into fit-for-purpose modules, but even then, I’d hold onto it for a small case or just rely on it for simple clock divisions, LFO’s.

Looking at these choices, you can definitely see the preference for screens and dense, powerful modules over knob-per-function and patch programming.

2 Likes