Toraiz Squid multitrack sequencer

Hey @DanJamesAUS - I stumbled on to something.

If you are in CC mode (TRIGGER, flashing), you can continuously hold MUTE down and still be able to control CCs (external synths/gear). So you can mute and change CCs at the same time. It’s actually pretty dope!

Edit: You don’t have to be in CC mode, just TRACK mode like you mentioned. But holding mute and twisting knobs works in CC mode as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Squid’s dope. Hooked it up to the TR8S and SH01A.

A tiny bit of groove control goes a long way.

Today at least, I can’t see sequencing with anything else right now. Very expressive and creative.

I highly recommend this box

Makes really good acid sequences too

6 Likes

I’m looking for a dedicated sequencer to control Ableton drum racks and a couple of soft synths. I’ve been disappointed with the Digitakt because of some bugs I’ve been running into. Specifically p’locking cc information. Would you recommend the Squid as a dedicated sequencer for Ableton and is it possible to do cc p’locking? Thanks

Until last night, that’s all I was doing. Using Squid to sequence samples and synths in Live

Save two Squid templates. One on Live. The other on the Squid. Just so you don’t have to set up the USB routing every time.

Also, another tip. You have to stop the Squid to assign the knobs to parameters in Live. Otherwise you’ll send a bunch of midi info to the knob you’re trying to map and you might crash or lock Live.

With that, you can parameter lock CCs on the Squid. Check out Pioneers Squid playlist on YouTube.

The magic for me with the Squid is using all that weird stuff it comes with. Groove bend, upside-down sequences, recording random chords. Generating random everything. Somehow it all still sounds musical. It’s cool.

My only two gripes. One is impossible to implement, but you don’t get a count-in. Impossible with a midi controller. But, maybe they could implement something on the screen?

Second gripe. Pages aren’t automatically copied when you extend patterns.

I haven’t figured out how to nudge a sequence around. Does any one know if that’s possible?

With all the sequence manipulation, sometimes the 1 (beginning of the sequence) ends up in a strange place. I’d like to move it around to the beginning of the beat. Curious

Edit: never mind on the step shift https://youtu.be/tYi45B06AzU

4 Likes

I sold mine today :pensive:

I need money to buy my first modular parts. And since i don’t use it for the moment, i prefer depart with it.

I don’t use it for the moment cause i mainly play techno with AR/AF/OT and i don’t find it usefull nor very pertinent to be added to Elektron.

But i know that i will certainly buy it in few years, because i really find it very pleasant and easy to use. It have a lot of interesting features (i would have loved that it had OS evolution).

I didn’t thought that it would have been bought as soon as i propose it on AF :pleading_face:
Some times i don’t like to sell my instruments.

1 Like

Thanks for your insights!

Does anybody have experience with the Squid in connection with Ableton? The center of my studio right now is a MPC Live 2, but I had some thoughts if a better setup for sequencing would be the Squid + Keystep + Ableton.
The Squid could be the sequencer for rhythmic-duties, whereas the Keystep Pro could cover the melodic elements. And in conclusion Ableton could be used as a “Midi Recorder” for capturing jams and performances. Any opinions?

I am unsure whether you have already viewed them, but the following videos might be of assistance:

3 Likes

This weekend I plan to add the SQUID back into my studio setup, and use it in conjunction with the NI Maschine+ sequencer. The Maschine+ will function as the main sequencer and arranger, such as an in-the-box DAW, with the SQUID operating as a secondary sequencer for additional MIDI manipulations. My hope is to use the SQUID as an occasional intermediate step for recording performances into the Maschine+, which will allow me to achieve the benefits of both devices.

I’m looking forward to see how this workflow change pans out.

1 Like

Not much love for the Squid around here? It s because of the price?

Yes the random function and mashed with directions is the USP of it. Like it a lot for that.

And the lack of updates.

I don’t know if a lack of updates is why more people aren’t talking about it.

I’ve had mine for a couple weeks and it works exactly as I expected. In some ways blows my expectations away. I’ve personally never owned anything like it. And it’s never crashed.

Now. Pioneers lack of support for the SP-16 definitely played a role in my decision making. Not that the SP-16 has problems, it doesn’t. But it could be so much better with some user type updates.

Call me old. But I don’t think people buy gear for the updates. That’d be strange.

Another way to put it though would be, what’s future support of the product look like? Now that, I can see driving a decision one way or another. Pioneers history of support is kind of suspect, in some cases.

5 Likes

I’ve just bought one. From what I can tell, this thing can provide a form of sequencing that my other sequencers don’t provide.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

At this price should have something special as a sequencer… maybe later after using it will come back with your thoughts on it.

1 Like

Yeah. It’ll be my 4th way of sequencing my gear so we will see what it offers.

3 Likes

So… Few days in.

First off:

The device feels quite light, not particularly substantial. I know this is pretty irrelevant as I bought it for it’s musical capability, but just lifting it out of the box and it felt quite hollow. Mind you, the thing I bought before was the Hydra Desktop - that thing feels like the weight of 4 instruments in one!

Anyway…

Setup is straightforward and really flexible. My midi routing is rather convoluted as I like to be able to sequence in multiple ways. The settings on the Squid make this even more possible which brings more to my setup.

The pads feel good. Really responsive although slightly smaller than I’d thought they’d be. Everything feels pretty good though.

Workflow is generally good but, if I could only have one sequencer, this wouldn’t be it.

Copying pages doesn’t seem possible which is a basic function I think. If I’ve a one bar pattern and I extend that to 4 bars, I don’t think it makes sense to imagine I’d re-enter all the pad values for each pad across the new pages. Unless I’ve missed a way to do it, this is a glaring hole for a sequencer.

However, I bought this device to add variation. This is the Squid’s forte. I love trying different combinations and regularly prefer the alternatives to my own original idea. So, it does what I bought it to do.

In practice I combine the Squid with my Novation SL MK3 with the SL going out to my midi hub as well as into the Squid. So my sequencing, from a hardware perspective, is a mixture of those 2. This gives me the sequencer that I want. It’s a bit of a luxury but the flexibility is worth it I think.

3 Likes

Press copy, then the first pad, then last pad, change page, press paste and the first pad et voila

2 Likes

2 years later the title of this topic is still " TORIAZ Squid "… :smiley:

4 Likes

That there… That’s a big deal. Cheers!

I have the squid, combined with SP-16 and the AS1 the trio makes me smile, I have a lot of fun with it!

Regards,

2 Likes