Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

One way in which I use the Torso quite a bit lately is for quickly generating non-trivial harmonic progressions in scale/key with a bit of randomization on voicing, range and pitch. This is fast and fun – the simple example below (MM2 + Doctor A) did take about 5 min. to make…

Edit: this is just one Torso track (out of 16) with 4 note polyphony.

8 Likes

T1 sounds cooler and cooler.

MIDI is my weak spot so I am wondering if someone else would know this. I am currently using T-1 with FH-2 MIDI to CV converter to control my modular, and one thing I would like to make use of it sustain knob. Currently what sustain does, is controls the note gate length after I get the gate via FH-2. What I would like to do is get actual CV value based on my sustain knob selection. Is there another MIDI parameter sent whenever sustain knob is turned (apart from note/gate length)?

I went through the manual and the only thing I could find is sending MIDI CC messages in the MIDI CC Track, but I don’t want to be entering this track, and I just to stay on standard Note Track and simply get that CV value based on my sustain value.

I’m not sure I 100% understand what you’re asking, but MIDI does not send a value that indicates “note length”. It sends an “on” message then sometime later sends an “off” message.

So it is not like a CV value where some voltage indicates how long the note is. Instead it is like a gate — the “on” message corresponds to the gate going from low→high and the “off” message to the gate going high→low.

If you’re looking for CV-like values sent with MIDI notes, velocity is a common one.

Alright, did not know that, cheers. So the way I see it, T-1 provides pretty extensive MIDI implementation, and also sustain parameter has 7 steps for each of the buttons, meaning 7x16=112 different values. Is there no way to send this sustain value via MIDI and get it converted into CV via MIDI to CV converter? I don’t know much how MIDI devices work but this seems like a nice thing to have.

The same I guess could apply to any of the knobs. I would imagine it’s just a matter of specifying a CC message for a specific knob. It’s pretty much what MIDI CC Track does already, except I would like to do all of this without having to manage a separate track.

Pretty cool little sequencer, I have it hooked straight into the hapax and it works great. Now the only other sequencer I think I will ever add to my setup would be a cirklon if that day comes…

But omg the manual is a slog. Been slowly working my way through it for a few days and I just now realize that I’m not even 2/3 of the way through :scream:

2 Likes

Not sure if this only happened on my unit, but when you feed the output of the T-1 into the Hapax, the Hapax has trouble processing many notes; it either affects the timing/groove of the T-1, and/or completely drops a few notes and completely changes the rhythm.

I tried this pair just yesterday… then just gave up after noticing this ‘bug’.

T-1 -> Hapax -> Drum Machine on Ch.-1.

Also, it is not possible to sync the Hapax via CV/Gate pulses - one cannot change the BPM as mentioned in the manual, it’s permanently set to 120BPM.

Hmm I haven’t had any issues, works flawlessly for me so far, but if I notice anything I will update here.