Transpose MIDI sequence. OT seq MS20 bass

Can I transpose a MIDI sequence using an external keyboard so I can play through the chord changes of a song without programming the entire form?

Example.

MIDI bassline sequenced on OT controlling MS20>midi in from external keyboard changing root note of baseline.

Thanks!

Additional note. The external keyboard will play notes on the MS20 but what I want to do is control the sequence,

No. The closest alternatives are to manually transpose the sequence using the OT’s data entry knobs, or to use a MIDI processor unit between the keyboard and the OT to convert the input notes into MIDI Control Change messages that would control the transposition.

Ok thanks Peter. Will have to figure out a work around. Nothings perfect!

2 Likes

I ended up working around this by using the arpeggiator for programming the actual melodies and using the sequencer trigs or external keyboard to transpose. Definitely not the same but it works and you can get some pretty complex variations by plocking or playing chords that would be pretty hard to manage in the sequencer alone (at the very least you’d have to chain a lot of patterns).

Not a replacement for what you want to do but a good alternative.

EDIT: thanks to whoever recommended this to me on here a while ago! Using a low pattern scale multiplier and trig conditions yesterday I was getting patterns longer than the 64 step master length I had set, but only using 16 steps. I think (but I haven’t tried it yet so I might be missing something) if you used the technique of microtiming trigs so that three different trigs happened on the same step with TRCs to cycle through which one is active on each pattern repetiton, and using a 1/4x scale multiplier and a custom, 16 step arpeggio pattern, you could fit a 192 step melody into 16 sequencer steps with an easily manageable 64 step master length (and if you used all 64 steps with a 1/8x multiplier and a longer master length you should be able to get a pattern that keeps evolving for around 1500 steps).

EDIT AGAIN: I realized on my way home that I made a dumb mistake in my math (didn’t account for the fact that you can’t use all 64 steps in any of the three overlappping patterns when you do the microtiming + A:B TRC trick) so it would be more like 400-500 steps in one 64 step pattern, not 1500. Neither of thsoe would be practical anyway, what’s interesting to me is being able to get a long pattern, 64 steps or more, out of a single 16 step pattern in the sequencer, so that you can see all of them at once.

2 Likes

The arp page transpose parameter works on midi sequences even if the arp is off.
If cc direct connect is disabled, cc 22 on the autochannel will control transpose while in midi mode…
:grinning:

It doesn’t transpose via MIDI note if the arpeggiator is off, I just checked. So you’d still have to transpose via CC, which means you’d need some sort of external device or computer to map notes to CC values.

EDIT: it’s useful for plenty of stuff though, don’t get me wrong. It jsut doesn’t work as a standalone workaround for not being able to transpose a pattern from an external keyboard the way you can transpose the arpeggiator.

I guess you could always record your sequences into a MidiREX and do the transposing in there.

Actually, thinking about it that could be a really interesting workflow, almost tape-like. Build your MIDI sequences in the OT, bounce them to the MidiREX, and then use the OT sequencer to transpose and otherwise manipulate the bounced sequence.

One option is to copy the pattern and just set a different plock for transpose at step one of each, or anywhere within the pattern if needed…

This or a device with buttons you can program cc’s too…
I’d go ahead and just plock the transpose value like I said above…

Yeah, it depends on usage case. For me, if I need realtime transpose I need it because I’m improvising, usually with another person, and unless Elektron introduces plocking multiple steps at once in a future update, plocking is just too slow for improv, and just in general, trying to follow chord changes by dialing in values with a knob while also playing isn’t really ideal. So I just moved over to the arpeggiator for a lot of my sequencing in those situations and it’s working great.

I think we’re slightly off the same page from each other…
Just to clarify:

It seems OP didn’t want to reprogram a midi sequence and was wondering about transpose by midi note.
To me this seemed like an idea to avoid reprogramming in its entirety, but not the end goal… ???

By simply plocking the transpose value you don’t have to reprogram, or manually enter transpose, or manually change the transpose knob as it would be plocked to the correct value in appropriate places…

So my train of thought has been to offer an easy way to quickly reprogram and have everything automatic, instead of focusing on how to transpose externally…

I did mention cc 22, but just for info and not directly implying anything about midi notes…

1 Like

I’ll let the OP clarify if they want to but why I got was that they wanted to transpose by MIDI not in real time from a keyboard, to follow the chord changes of a song on the fly instead of having to program all of the chord changes manually.

If it’s not in real time then using arp transpose with the arpeggiator off would definitely work to save having to manually program the same pattern in different transpositions.

2 Likes

OK, I think we understand each other now…
I might be wrong about OP, I don’t know… :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah, looks like we were both right about different things!

1 Like

Thanks for the great ideas! I was thinking about using the arp to program the basslines and transposing the arp pattern as Supercolor has suggested. I think that might make the most sense in this situation.

Just to clarify what I’ve been doing up to this point. I currently have been using a Beatstep (synced to an Analog Rhythm) for basslines. I can move sequenced basslines around the chord changes on the Beatstep and can rearrange songs on the fly to follow the singer.

I was hoping the OT would be a replacement for both the AR and the BS. Hopefully if I can figure out the midi bassline situation then it can.

Another cool thing about using the arpeggiator is that you can mute and unmute steps, which is something I wish you could do with trigs (thefil TRC covers some of the same ground but it’s not the same - I’d love to be able to mute and unmute individual trigs on the fly without losing any of the plocks). The pitch quantization is really, really basic - just major and minor scales - but sometimes it’s useful, too.

What I’ve been doing is setting the pattern scale to 1/4x and the note length to 1/1 in the sequencer, and using it to program the changes, and the arpeggiator to play the actual melodies. Works pretty well, and you can use the arp transpose parameter for key changes.