Turntable for sampling (and listening)

Yeah, I am thinking about the concorde mkii club (DJ cart) or the 2m blue (hi-fi cart). Want it to sound as good as possible (within reason, I am not going to buy a 1k cartridge) but also don’t want to have my workflow compromised by having a too fragile cartridge. Can’t decide yet lol…

…look out for old technics dj players…for sampling u wanna enjoy more than just the two standard speeds like 45 and 33 rpm…u want free pitch speed adjustment…in best case, some offer these even in extra extended ranges…

a 33rpm/lp slowed down to half it’s tempo will show u warm low ends u never heard before…

1 Like

I got the 1210gr and it has pitch adjustment so I should be good to go! I was debating whether or not it would be useful and decided to go for it.

2 Likes

I have the sl1500 that was mentioned a few times. It looks amazing and is built to last 100 years but sound wise it sounds roughly the same as any 200+ euro turntable. I replaced a 200 euro Sony Bluetooth record player with the sl1500, and they sound very much alike. The Sony was a bit more resonant, probably because it has 1/5 of the mass of the technics.

Both of those have a built in pre amp by the way, which is convenient if you have active speakers or want to plug it straight into your octatrack or ipad, like me.

Looking for a second hand player is also a good option. As long as you get a model for which you can still get styluses and needles you’re good to go. Advantage of getting something classic (like a Linn or technics) you can sell it down the line for what you paid for it. You won’t have that with a Sony or project or Rega.

What cart did you go for in the end @HBIII?

Is there such a thing as a turntable with variable speed that can actually go very slow? The other day I was slowing down a sample on the OT and I thought it might be fun to do the same thing from an LP before it actually got into the sampler, soundwise. Might not be very convenient for the arm though…

1 Like

I was recently shopping for a new table and there are quite a few that have the option to select how large the scale on the pitch fader goes. Some go as far as 50%.

The one I got , a stanton ST150MKII, has this and it is very interesting to recontexualize possible samples this way. Very cool.

I got a technics 1210gr. Seems great so far, I will have to post a photo of my sampling setup when my new phono preamp and cartridges come in and I get back into the studio and set everything up. Hopefully this week, but spring is here and I’m busy farming again :-).

1 Like

Sorry about necro-posting… but I feel I must add another vote to the obvious: my SL1200MK2 is (literally) as old as me and it will probably outlive me. It’s perfect.