Two Digitakts

This is super intriguing. Do you find that you use the Xone DB4 also during production or just when playing live?

1 Like

I use is for production as well every now and then. I’m more and more working towards recording single takes for techno tracks so there the Xone db4 comes in very handy. But that’s basically live performing :slight_smile: the fx are great though. And it’s fun to work with the loopers in combination with filtering and fx. So it’s useful as a sort of fx box as well.

1 Like

super interesting. Thanks so much for the blazing fast reply, great food for thought!

1 Like

Dave, I watched your video on this (and many others) and I have some questions:

• Are your DT samples pre EQed/compressed?

• When do you feel a pattern is ok and leave it like it is to play it live with the mixer?

• If you record the mixer´s main LR, do you use any box after it or master in the DAW?

• Do you prelisten anything when you´re performing?

• Do you already have your OT to replace the second pair of DT+DN? How is it going?

1 Like

Heya,

1. Most of Them aren’t. Some I’ll low cut slightly before I import them. Other than that I mostly mangle and edit samples within Digitakt. Using the filter in combination with resampling for instance.

2. Tough question to answer. When it feels good and I have options to arrange it live I’ll leave it. Sometimes I come back to patterns that didn’t work well enough and change them until I’m satisfied. Some patterns have changed a lot over the course of a year, making them pretty much unrecognizable or enhanced. So basically the live set as a whole is constantly moving and changing.

3. When playing live I have an analog heat on the master output with very subtle settings. Just to gel everything together a little and control peaks. When recording I’ll mix and master in a DAW. Pretty subtle though as I try to make things sound as good as possible within the hardware.

4. Nope.

5. Yeap :slight_smile: going great. Still undecided how I will use it but probably a combination of things. But mostly it will be a live loop mangler. It’s incredible for that.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave, I have a very old and horrible mixer and thought in the past that could be nice to simulate two decks with two drum machines and two synths, but for some reason never tried. So I saw your setup and liked it very much.

My setup is OT+DN+Rytm and soon I hope I´ll have two 16n Faderbanks to have control of each track level within the machines (or maybe controlling the corresponding fader of the DAW). The idea is improvising live but record as multitracked as possible, maybe I´ll apply some EQ and compression on each individual track in Ableton and then send the two groups to each input of the OT. Nothing on the master (Heat, Boum…).

Anyway looking at your setup I maybe forget multitracking and continue doing things through the OT and only record the main…

Looking forward to your next vid!

1 Like

Sorry for the bump, I’m curious about this setup - specially now that, with the last OS update, it’s easier than ever to keep both units updated with the same project :slight_smile:
Anyone else jumped to this setup lately?