Ultimate Bassline Weapon

I own both of these and they for sure rock the bass.

Also have her. And the bass is also fantastic. It seems like Moog got bass on lock.

THIS is good to know! I’m so glad Moog released plug-in versions of the MoogerFoogers. I also love what the Murf does. It’s like Shaperbox but in a pedal.

2 Likes

Hehe, so we need to arrange meeting with him : )

Im quite sure SE is killer, I had ATC like 20 years ago, sold because wanted knobs - replaced with Roland SH2, now sold SH because it started to show age… SE3x should be a right choice.

Curious if Omega has same qualities as bass machine.

1 Like

As already mentionned before, I like the DPO module for bassline, really versatile. It can sound deep, hard or soft.

Recently, I used it with the filter Blade from MI, really cool duo.
You can hear it on this track of mine:

3 Likes

I’m trying to find a good vst plugin that gives solid sub bass square wave sound. I will try those what you suggested. I want that earth shaking sub sound that i can layer upper harmonics on top from other synths.
I love my Erebus for that solid sub, but it should be possible to get that same sub from any vst plugin because the sound is so simple, only square wave filtered low. Am i wrong? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Bought an Erica Synths Bassline module with Black Friday. Wouldn’t call it ultimate, but within the simplicity of its confines it’s pretty nice.

One oscillator when you want clarity. Sub Oscilator then blends in gradually (its pot doesn’t only add its level but also gradually opens a LP filter on the sub).

The BBD detune works pretty good to gradually add first some character, then thickness, up to pretty extreme detune movement.

Accents to open up the filter, which works pretty well for creatively adding some excitement to a sequence.

1 Like

wonder if module and desktop version sound the same…

1 Like

I’ve had the DB-01 in the past. They sound similar but not identical. The module doesn’t have the Drive that DB-01 has and is pretty characteristic for its sound, also how the drive affects the filter and resonance if I recollect correctly.

To me the module is still very thick and characterful, but a little bit better to get clean and precise, less sputter; I like it better (especcially within the context of a mix).

1 Like

oooh a bassline thread.

I don’t see any mention of Hades so I have to mention it because it’s the thickest bass synth I’ve ever heard. I like this demo:

Vermona Mono Lancet is my second favourite for rich bass (or most any other ladder filtered dual oscillator with a square wave).

The Erica Bassline module is good for bass - doesn’t do as well for acid IMO, felt very weak next to my m303 - but they intentionally designed it to not be a 303 clone so that’s not a problem. The sub and detune on it are very cool for getting extra flavour.

2 Likes

While I am a loyal disciple of analog bass, in VST land Future Audio Workshops “SubLab XL” is pretty inexpensive, sounds good, and makes doing bass and sub-bass type stuff pretty easy.

I stumbled across this plug-in after really enjoying their Circle2 vst synth by the same company

1 Like

These days my favorite bass sounds come from the Syntakt. You can get so many different flavors, between SY TONE / SY SWARM and the obvious analog synths that I don’t reach for anything else. Portamento was a great addition.

I just got got the erebus re-issue, and plan on getting the hades reissue as well.

Bass from the underworld indeed. Love this synth, but the original was made in pretty small numbers right?

1 Like

There weren’t many around, and they don’t seem to be pumping them out this time either (half as many DIY units as the Erebus).

Erebus is also a fantastic bass synth - I like it for wave-tearing leads but it’s a super versatile and capable synth. I got mine tracking pitch perfect across its whole range too.

1 Like

I feel like the hades is pretty under rated or at least sort of overlooked especially when compared to the Erebus (which has gotten and is getting a lot of hype).

I also love the immediacy of the dreadbox synths. There are really focused and for me when I am trying to write a bassline, having that simple, highly directed workflow. I get distracted easily.

2 Likes

Not neccessarily my favourite Jamuary jam so far but I got a few comments on the bassline on it which is Erebus (sorry for the shameless self promotion!). Sort of a lead/bass combo tbh - is there a technical term for that?

:100:

4 Likes

dope! Yeah the dreadboxes sound awesome. Nice little thing with the reso bass boost thing on the filter. nice rack too, looks pretty sonically versatile and like it plays nice with your other gear!

1 Like

I’m not sure, I hear nothing but good things about the Erebus bass. I suspect if you like the Erebus, you’re going to be missing some drive/saturation from plugins.

I’ve been using Bassmaster recently, and that one can do filter overdrive, which helps. It’s a bit basic but it can do what I need 90% of the time.

Sytrus can do this, but you’d have to learn the matrix routing to get the right combinations of oscillators into the filters (you have 6 ops and 3 filters, each with their own direct out as well). It’s a ton of control, so I’m absolutely sure you can get there, but it won’t be quick.

I suppose the question is why you don’t want to use the Erebus. What is the Erebus not doing that you want to try and get out of software?

1 Like

I kept the Typhon ! Happy with it.

I also have a cv gate XOX HEART, very small and cheap (100$ if you solder it yourself).

I have to state Serum, is very good , when processed with FabFilter Pro MB. It depends a bit on the genere you want to make, but it comes down how accurate your bass needs to be. Random Phase disabled allows for a more stable bass. Eq like pro MB kann mess it up. Something like LFO tool or Cableguys Multi FX is a must to have a very clean signal. (Sidechain compression etc)

On the HW side i use Tempest with Feedback, but i process the recorded sample to avoid overlaps with the kick.

Well, the reason is that i feel like wasting a lot of potential from erebus if i use it only for that simple sub sound. I usually make music by live jamming so one synth does only one thing in the session.
Well now i have tried to get that same sub from many different plugins/synths but they dont sound the same. They sound good thou, but that magic isnt there. :stuck_out_tongue: i will continue using Erebus no doubt.

The Sinewave outputs on this have been my low end recently. I love it:

I would love one of these, I know Aaron and Abigael who build them (as well as dub fx used by Lee Perry!!), but I need to sell my soul to buy all the stuff I want from them:
http://www.spacecataudiotechnologies.com/basssynth.html

1 Like