Unique dirty, raw, fun synths?

I’ll go ahead and second the Norand Mono. It’s like having a full, twisted eurorack voice in a much more manageable/affordable case

2 Likes

The 3 monotrons connected together

4 Likes

Yes mainly, but sometimes I use the Strega as a kind of complex texture generator to run into other synths (for example gating it using the pseudo low pass gate in the dynamics circuit on the 0-coast to craft noisy pitched percussive sounds). I really like the Strega’s LFO too, so often mult that out to other stuff

1 Like

small & not cheap and DSP, but not your usual sounds.

Bugbrand / Scrotum stuff can be noisy’n’dirty in many ways and unique enough for me:

3 Likes

And we should not forget Paul Tas and Error Instruments with its FERTAS

Paul has tons of raw things to offer…

3 Likes

I attended a local synth meet up last week and brought my Pulsar. It was the first time I heard it through proper speakers and it was wild… one person brought a Cirklon and he sequenced it while I patched it and it was a wild ride… honestly it doesn’t get much rawer then Pulsar.

7 Likes

if it looks too toyish and too cheap, Serge fkkn “Easel” is here to help:

WHERE IS MINE?!

1 Like

Malekko Manther
Erica Synths DB-01

3 Likes

Doepfer Dark Energy

Monotron Delay. I love the little thing.

7 Likes

I would 100% pay more for the Monotron Delay to be a little bigger and run on a power source (maybe they do I’ve forgotten). But absolutely yes and I’m going to have to go dig mine out of where ever its hidden now.

My pick would be the Korg MS-20. I’ve only ever used the “mini” reissue. But one of my favorite synths ever.

1 Like

Hertz Donut MK2 module is the craziest sounding oscillator ever to me. Same with Loquelic Iteritas Percido.

for further unique dirtiness also worth checking fkkn Gristleizer!

http://gristleizer.com/

3 Likes

I was going to mention the DB-01, but thought it might not be dirty or raw enough. It certainly is fun, and one thing that’s nice about it is that one can very quickly take it into noisy territory and back to melodic, if desired.

2 Likes

Another vote for the Buchla Music Easel, absolutely adore my 208c!

3 Likes

Yup, I’m stoked to get mine, just ordered it the other day. Watching videos of pulsar and playing with my Lyra is what made me want to continue looking for this organic/raw style of instruments.

MEGAfm and Quadrantid Swarm get sounds I cannot achieve any other way. They are WILD.
The Swarm is a boatload of fun too.

3 Likes

Both on my want list, along with Bionic Lester Mk1 (check out 2:40 onward):

“For the second channel, you can choose either the first or second channel’s generator as a clock source. If you select both clock generators, absolutely horrifying audio garbage will result.” :slight_smile:

Always, I love running it into a DOD Death metal and cranking up the feedback. It’s probably the best value synth I own.

2 Likes

I love them both very crazy modules