Using a midi thru box with Elektrons

Does anyone have some experience / advice as far as using a midi thru box to get some more flexibility in a setup involving multiple Elektron machines + Elektrons controlling other hardware synths?

I only know one brand - Midi Solutions Quadra Thru. Would that be a good choice!?.. or does anyone have good experience with / recommendations for any other brand?

Thanx in advance :slight_smile:

I don’t know the thru box you mention, but currently I have the OT going into a Philip Rees V4 thru box to an MnM, A4 and MD. Works fine.

I have a quadra thru. I use it on midi output of my OT to hit all my hardware synths. It works great. No power needed. Simple little box. I’d recommend it.

Cool! Thanx a lot guys! :slight_smile:

I just bought a MIDIhub++ to go out of the OT into it and be able to split the signal 6 ways to hardware synths. I haven’t tried it yet (just got it last night), but it seems to be the perfect companion to the OT’s 8 channel, 8 track sequencer.

I use a kenton thru-5 that works great.

Great! Going to get me one of those boxes then!!

I have a quadra thru. And one of their mergers. They work pretty well, as long as you don’t have multiple things without an adapter next to each other in the chain.

Pardon my n00bish ignorance - how do you mean?

Pardon my n00bish ignorance - how do you mean?[/quote]
Just the nature of non-powered devices… It can make things a little more complicated.

• One example is: 2 in, 1 out merger. The power comes from one of the two midi in jacks. If you don’t have that device powered on, there’s no power to the merger. So you can’t just run the second device by itself. This means you can’t save electricity by just using the second device with the first one off unless you unplug and switch which jack they are plugged into.
  • I forget the actual combination, but I think I had two non powered things like that in a row and the adapter powering my mpk doesn’t put out a ton of power (maybe it was mpk-nonpoweredmidiinterface-merger-…). So the second non-powered device in the chain didn’t get any power.

It is something to think about when looking at thru and merger boxes. Do you have a complicated enough setup that you might try hooking more than one midi powered device next to each other in the chain? If so, you might want a powered thru/merger box.

Pardon my n00bish ignorance - how do you mean?[/quote]
Just the nature of non-powered devices… It can make things a little more complicated.

• One example is: 2 in, 1 out merger. The power comes from one of the two midi in jacks. If you don’t have that device powered on, there’s no power to the merger. So you can’t just run the second device by itself. This means you can’t save electricity by just using the second device with the first one off unless you unplug and switch which jack they are plugged into.
  • I forget the actual combination, but I think I had two non powered things like that in a row and the adapter powering my mpk doesn’t put out a ton of power (maybe it was mpk-nonpoweredmidiinterface-merger-…). So the second non-powered device in the chain didn’t get any power.

It is something to think about when looking at thru and merger boxes. Do you have a complicated enough setup that you might try hooking more than one midi powered device next to each other in the chain? If so, you might want a powered thru/merger box.
[/quote]
I’ve a quadra thru/merger and, as glaciertree mentioned, you not only need a device to power the boxes, but you must also have a compatible device to power it. The MKI versions of the MM and MnM will not power them.
With that said, they’re great boxes and definitely open up the potential of the elektrons when used with other hardware. I currently use the MnM as my brain controlling a SP606, Tetra, Space, Timefactor, and Biscuit. I also can input notes via a midi keyboard and the pads on the SP606…I can do all of this without a computer :o)

Thank you for all your input - it’s really helpfull!

My idea was to use my octratrack as main hub / midi sequencer - hook a midi thru box up to it - use one jack to connect the machine drum -> analog four and the remaining 3 to connect other hardware synths…

So the octatrack would always be on to sequence / sync the hardware… and thus powering the thru box …

hoping the octa is compatible then haha :smiley: