Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Any details on updates?

3.0 Beta 12, Jan. 28th, 2022:

Bug Fixes:

FS#1431 - Folder disappears after renaming
FS#1470 - System error with usb sample
FS#1414 - Iridium patch import uses analog filter
FS#1194 - Random Blast of Noise still happens in v2.0

4 Likes

I c ā€¦ so no major new featuresā€¦ actually hard to imagine something it canā€™t do : )

1 Like

Iā€™ve had my Iridium for about a week. Several times now, when I start it, it will go to a blank screen, and one time I got an error message of ā€œFatal System Error. Restart your Iridium.ā€ Whenever these problems happen, I just restart it and it is fine, so I am not sure how serious this problem is. I did upgrade the OS to the most recent public version (2.5.4) but this doesnā€™t seem to have made any difference. I also have it hooked up to a good power conditioner for protection from spiking. In all other respects, it is fine.

How concerned should I be? Do you guys have these problems? Is this common? Is it the unit, or just something the Iridium is prone to do?

I wonder if beta 12 for 3.0 would help? For me itā€™s been very stable, in fact I have seen no errors for months, and Iā€™ve been doing crazy stuff trying to crash it.

I get the feeling 3.0 could be released soon, as there have not been any major issues or regressions found from the last 2 beta cycles.

1 Like

Thatā€™s certainly good to know. Did you have problems with crashes before 3.0? Can you tell me how I can get the 3.0 Beta?

I have 45 days to return it to GC, which I really donā€™t want to do (loving this synth), but also donā€™t want to get stuck with a lemon. I am guessing it is a recent build, since it was not a return, and it has none of the QC hardware issues that were a problem for some earlier adopters. Is there a way to tell the build recency by the serial number?

On the previous 2.x OS I did get a white screen, and also a blast of noise (which aged me by another year :slight_smile:) I may have also gotten the warning you mentioned, but only once. Itā€™s a bit fuzzy as it was loooooong ago.

Iā€™ve had no problems (other than minor bugs I reported) since I went to 3.0.

I use my Iridium often, and try lots of crazy things with it, so itā€™s been very stable for me.
In fact, when Iā€™m testing Iā€™m trying to crash it, and I have not been able to.

1 Like

I know you do a lot of really cool stuff with your Iridium because Iā€™ve watched your videos. Very helpful!

1 Like

I wrote a support ticket to Waldorf, explaining this issue, and also asking if I can get the 3.0 Beta.

2 Likes

Mmmh, ā€¦ I also wanted to order an Iridium, but reading about the problems some users are experiencing, I am not so sure if I should really buy one. On the other hand: I am living in Germany, so sending it back is not be such an issue.
(probably a 1st world problem ā€¦)

Over at GearSpace, a user suggested making sure I donā€™t have a USB cable connected, which I did. So, Iā€™ve unplugged it since I donā€™t really need it unless I am using it with either the MPC One or Logic, and then can plug it in for that reason. Hopefully this will make some kind of change (not that this should be necessary, but it is a minor hassle if it solves the issue).

Update: Waldorf already responded to my email (in less than 24 hours, so thatā€™s cool) by recommending I upgrade to version 3.0 and sending me the link, which I have done. So, now I can see if the problems go away.

I really do want to keep this thing. Last night, I was running my MatrixBrute through the Filters of the Iridium, and mixing it with two resonator oscillators, and hit a four key chord, and then the hold pedal attached to my Kronos, and just sat there, spellbound by the swirling, undulating, reverberating, beauty of the whole thing. Gino called it the infinity box. Yes, Gino. Good call.

4 Likes

Well, major bummer. After upgrading to OS version 3.0, Beta 12, the Iridium crashed after about an hourā€™s use. Wasnā€™t doing anything weird, literally moving the ā€œtravelā€ button in Wavetable mode on an oscillator (1) and got the white screen. First time Iā€™ve seen that. Shut down. Start up. All good. I worry though. Iā€™ve literally never had a single synth do this before. Something super sketchy going on (and no USB connected). Just Midi and Audio. I may be ready to call it quits and return it while I can. Maybe in a few years, Waldorf will actually get to a point where quality control or software maturity has taken care of these issues. Really, really too bad, because I love this synth. Maybe more than any synth Iā€™ve purchased since the Kronos 8 years ago. If it were a $300-600 synth, maybe Iā€™d keep it, but these kinds of issues on a $2,500 synth. Nope.

1 Like

I also had problems with my Iridium, many unexpected crashes. Tried several firmware version, sometime with more success and sometimes not. After a few months I lost my good feeling about the Iridium and sold it. Itā€™s a wonderful synth but too buggy (for me).

Wow, that sucks. I wouldnā€™t blame anyone for returning it when itā€™s ā€œworkingā€ like that. Mine has been very stable (knock on wood) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got 2.5. and never had any issues ā€¦
I wonder what you people doing with it??

I am doing the same thing you are doing. Turning it on, twisting knobs, lightly touching the screen, trying to make sounds. Like I said, I had a concern when, right out of the box, it didnā€™t start up properlyā€“screen was on, glowing, but no information (seemed like something theyā€™d want to check at the factory before release). After shutting down, then restarted, was fine. Happened a couple more times, so unplugged the USB port, still happened. Then upgraded the operating system from 2.5 to 2.5.4, still happened. Then upgraded the operating system to 3.0, still happened. It is totally random from what I can tell. I have had it for two weeks, and it has now not fully booted 3-4 times and crashed 2-3 times. I am guessing there is some kind of memory error going on, or maybe a data signal that isnā€™t loading correctly. As several others at Gearspace have pointed out, when you lift it and move it around (like turn it upside down to get the serial number, something is loose inside). I am now wondering if this is not a repackaged ā€œrefurbishedā€ earlier unit that was returned and then put back out into the world. Although it doesnā€™t have some of the manufacturing defects noted in earlier production runs (no bleeding light through bottom of LCD, knobs are all tight, power switch is not wonky, buttons on bottom left are the same as all others, etc.). I will write Waldorf another ticket and see if there is any kind of response. If not, I will return it. Maybe see if I can do an exchange and get better luck with a different unit.

1 Like

Sounds really bad, to be honest. I was just wondering if maybe errors occured via midi or such. But this is really annoyingā€¦

This!

Good luck with it!
Quiet a pitty, that a company that produces so remarkable machines has repaetedly such problems. Thinking of the Blofeld encoder bug hereā€¦
Really too bad.
Keep us informed about how they proceed this, please.

1 Like

Thanks for your interest and sympathy.

Just got home from Guitar Center. They DO have one more unit in stock at their national distribution center and it now has my name on it. They were really cool about it. They were willing to do the trade, giving me the 20% discount I used for the original purchase. I also traded in an older synth thatā€™s been sitting in my closet unused for almost a year (Korg Minilogue) toward the purchase of an extended warranty on the new unit. I donā€™t normally buy warranties because they are a rip off, but on a machine at this price point with so many known issues I thought it might be worth it. Also, now the 45 day return window will reset. Crossing fingers.

5 Likes

Waldorf told me that, if the Iridium is still crashing after updating the OS to 3.0, then it is probably a hardware defect and I should return it. So, this seems to confirm what I had feared about the unit.

3 Likes