Waldorf Iridium Keyboard

Auto sampling like MPC would be a great feature to have.

Gino, would you consider doing an Iridium video on the Sequencer, and especially focusing on how you might use the parameter sequencers as mod sources? I like your videos and thought this might be something others would want to see.

1 Like

If there’s someone that can compel me to acquire keys, it’s Matt!

Chicken Systems mentioned in a newsletter that it is working on it for their Translator application. It’s release has been delayed unfortunately…

Haha yeah it always kind of cracks me up when you see all the people complaining about not enough octaves of keys and then you see matt just jamming out on the synth. Not that I don’t sympathize with people wanting more but :man_shrugging: it is what it is.

2 Likes

I both seek more keys AND enjoy whatever keys are in front of me. :smiley:

If it is an unreliable with as many white screens as the desktop iridium I had it would be totally useless live. That thing would have been the last piece of gear I took on a gig.

I don’t do gigs, but see your point, and was reluctant to get one for this reason. The first unit I had was “broken” and had lots of issues. The second unit I received after returning the first, hasn’t had a single issue in nearly a month of daily use. I don’t know if it is a quality control issue at the factory, or shipping issues, but it doesn’t seem to be a component issue (or there wouldn’t be many units in the wild that have no issues).

Sure. I really like that idea as I’ve been using it more lately. Thanks for the kind words and the video idea!

49 has space advantages, and I would have had to think harder about a 61. It would have been nice, though, to have the option of 61-keys of PAT. I wonder how much another octave might have raised an already high price?

Mine hasnt crashed, despite heavy usage. Not even once. Since 2020. I am not using the sample engine though. And I’m not messing around with Beta OS updates. Maybe that’s why?

Price, size, weight, time to manufacture…

I’m running the latest Beta and it has been very stable.

1 Like

To infer correlation without considerable information on both systems, and without a comprehensive understanding of the specific failures, and the process of electronic failure in general is specious.

All electronic systems have non-zero rates of failure. One cannot measure reliability, based on individual failures, it requires a large data set and statistical analysis.

Supposing that reports of failure with a system at some time in the past actually represents a product wide deficiency, that likely has little significance relating to a different system designed later.

This applies whether the problem is in origin a hardware or a software deficiency.

Even having information that shows that a specific company, or designer, or manufacturer has been deficient at some time in the past may only have a very weak link with the reliability of a future design.

If one insists in comparing reliabilty, then you may find the keyboard version, may be better, or worse, or about the same, compared to the desktop system.

What is more important is a company’s willingness to stand behind their products, and the buyers persistence in getting things working, and right.

4 Likes

Amen! Can we have this as a sticky in every gear thread, please?

2 Likes

I requested it too now, will try it on the weekend…

There is also the human factor to consider. Sometimes a failure is not a failure but maybe simply a non optimal HMI interaction.

1 Like

Look at the number of people that have had “issues” against the number of units likely sold. It’s easy to lose perspective when looking at user forums. The reality is that it’s no different to most electronic goods, and actually lower than some.

For what its worth, mine has been trouble free since I got it. Currently running the Beta OS3 (b12)

1 Like

I agree with both you and Jukka, at least with respect to the Iridium. I made many of the same arguments you are making about the Iridium over at Gearspace. In the end, I decided there were enough users (there and here and elsewhere) that didn’t have problems, or their problems were what could be expected with a new synth, and I really wanted what this particular synth can do, to take the risk.

One other thing that Jukka didn’t mention, is the fact that Waldorf has decided to “double down” on the hardware and software of the Iridium. If it believed it had some kind of serious flaw in either manufacturing or software design, I don’t think they’d move in the direction of adding yet another iteration to the Iridium/Waldorf line–perhaps making the Iridium their most important line of synths for the whole company.

I do not understand what you mean by being gaslighted. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t mean you are being gaslighted (which implies they know that you are right, but trying to dissuade you). We are just offering a different perspective, including more positive experiences with the Iridium and a broader view of issues.

When I had an Iridium unit that had some faults, Waldorf was very responsive. First, they tried to help me troubleshoot software solutions, including immediate access to the latest beta firmware, then when that didn’t completely solve the issues, they wrote a ticket for repairing the unit, without any hesitation. Now, it is true that I should not have had a unit with obvious problems right out of the gate (does seem to indicate a quality control problem), but they seem to stand behind their product quite well.