What are your most modern & iconic sounds (synthesis) when it comes to club music?

I remember that one of the two used Pro-53, I even had the preset from a bank, but it was between 2006 and 2008, quite difficult to find back.

One of my preferred track within that bass style, still remember when Hawtin played it in 2003, ~6am sunset in an open air countryside place:

The entire EP, soundwise, is really interesting.

2 Likes

Lately, I’ve been fascinated with simple notes with awesome sound.
It started with Nils Frahm, at Porto’s Primavera.

I think it’s a Juno 60 that produces this one.

It’s simple, a fast attack, some low end, and a body that reveals itself only with some slight release. I love this.

I find it more and more, such a lively lovely note put in front of the others.

I do it on my Syntakt with the Tone engine, it’s good enough for the shortest notes, but as soon as I extend the release I can tell the body unveiled is not as beautiful as these analog tones.
Got to work this further.

2 Likes

Mark Fell’s (and his contemporaries) fm tones and rhythms sound pretty modern to me.

1 Like

Hello everyone! It seems like iconic sounds are usually the main sounds, the one we naturally focus on and became famous / popular then.

But what about secondary / background sounds ? Do you ever remember some background sounds like drone, pads, strings, textures, soundscapes / multis ? Can you share some youtube video with timestamp where background sounds are pure fresh air / genious in the design of those sounds ?

Like kind of recently the batman motorcycle sound based on sheperd tone, e-dancer atmospheres, less recently and obviously pads from blade runner vangelis, drone from lyra-8, granular & spectral synthesis… stuff like that.

@darenager @Tchu @Unifono @trackerjack @Adelock @Airyck @Switchmode @lesstalkmoredisco @AdamJay @topo_explo
Thanks

2 Likes

Club music only?
How far back is allowed? :wink:

1 Like

Sacred Cycles, that vocal “aaaah” pad

3 Likes

Yeah i understand why you ask and i join you on that one …
FREE reply and no time period every reply of any form of music welcome

Okay, how about the firework sounds at the end of ‘Black Market’ … which I assume came out of the ARP 2600 (I’ve got no proof for this :wink: …):

3 Likes

1999 Matrix down the rabbit hole silver goo sound

Starts at 54 seconds in

I remember being wowed by that back then.

Even though I’m not really into the movies, the Transformers movies had some pretty awesome sounds.

4 Likes

Speaking of movies, there is a hollow pipe sound at :30 in the video below that recurs throughout that scene and later. I’m not sure how to recreate it - might be a clave pitched down or a custom FM sound, or a heavily processed reverb tail. I’ve heard it reused elsewhere, so it might belong in this thread.

1 Like

Textures and backgrounds in Autechre’s ‘Chiastic Slide’
The screeching noise in the opener for example, gives a slightly off kilter mechanical quality to the groove.
The whole record seems to have more subliminal things going than the earlier ones. Also the insane snow-trudging interlude.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Does anyone know what synth was used to make the pads for Underworld’s “Born Slippy”? Is that a Juno 106?

1 Like

only just this year learned . . . a Genesis sample!

1 Like

this chappy recreated it on an Oberheim, fwiw

2 Likes

Thank you !

When it comes to modern Electronic Music and certain patterns, Extrawelt from Hamburg should most definitely be on this list, especially the albums:

Schöne Neue Extrawelt

and:

In Aufruhr

You can basically read both albums as catalogues of production techniques of the post 2000’s

2 Likes

EBM and aggrieved electro industrial.

Rammstein stands out as the pinnacle of combining synths, operatic singing and heavy metal guitars in wide variety of sounds. They also are the rare band to achieve stardom while singing almost entirely in German! I don’t understand much of what they sing and have to translate the lyrics but they really pump up the volume. Another band is Funker Vogt but they don’t list what gear they use and no interviews so hard to know but their music has Virus type industrial sounds.

Another band that hits heavy is Icon of Coil and when I discovered sound packs for the Virus they made, I was in heaven!

I always wanted to make this hard darkwave music for my soundtrack screen play project and was at a loss doing so with modular and Elektron gear. Now on the virus and Oberheim it is way easier to achieve!

1 Like

I’m really an acid guy from the 90s. I also love the plinks and plonks of Jeff Mills (especially 4Art).

Maybe some Laurent Garnier synth chords.

The almost organ sound of Terrance Dixon (Midnight Hours)

Any Richie Hawtin sounds.

Maybe some Ken Ishii digital sizzle.

And of course, “If you see your mom this weekend, be sure and tell her…. SATAN SATAN SATAN!!”

Then on the darker side, Skinny Puppy distorted delights, Frontline Assembly Moog basses, and other assorted industrial drums and basses.

Maybe some Ed Rush and Optical twisty synth sounds.

I may be a little odd, but those favorites aside, I feel like synth sounds have gotten better as time goes on. I mean we have the same TYPES of sounds now, but I love the crisp fidelity these days.

2 Likes

whoever at Yamaha programmed the Lately/Solid Bass patch back in 86 or 87 should be in the house hall of fame

2 Likes