What is your honest current attention span for listening to new music?

can’t believe you’re dissing Gqom like this.

:wink:

1 Like

I actually went through a period of several years or so where I was so engrossed in the process of “being creative” I was only listening to music I had been involved with and looking for ways to improve it or make changes to what I was doing, and I started to get out of the loop as far as current music. I can relate to what you’re saying.

I also feel like it’s kind of my responsibilty to channel all the music I heard into something new. Kind of my musical legacy. Music is a very personal thing and I feel like people might understand me a bit better if they had listened to all the music I know. But it’s rather unlikely people will listen to a few hundred albums just to get to know me better. But they might listen to one track!

2 Likes

I find it depends very much on what medium I am listening to.
I barely ever listen to music on iPod /iPad / computer because the temptation to skip a track is too great. So I mostly listen to CDs (remember those?) and let them play to the end. I find it’s good exercise for my attention span.

2 Likes

Having actively paid for a cd engaged me in at least 2 different ways, one was that I had picked it and decided it was something I needed to own, and two was I wanted to get my money back out of it. When the redbox dvd rentals were still a thing to do, a friend and I had a joke about the value of your fiscal return on the one dollar rental was going up if you watched the rental more than once, I think it’s the same theory.

By profession I try to stay interested and invested in new (current) music. We have this playlist that we compile each year of the best music released this year and for that reason I try my best. Unfortunately a large portion of modern music sounds to me like 100 Gecs (meaning infuriating / obnoxious).

But

I seem to find a lot more interesting new (old) music than music that is made today. Almost weekly I find something that blows my mind and I haven’t heard before, but it’s by default from the 90s or earlier. I tend to listen to whole albums and don’t really care for playlists and such. I usually know by the third or fourth song if the album is worth listening to the end. But when something clicks and I find an album that I love, I can easily listen to that one album tens of times.

3 Likes

unless it was by Thom Yorke, or AFX or a mate’s work. Then you would plough on…

1 Like

Me too but I think it still shows the same level of curiosity.

2 Likes

my attention span for music is exactly the same it’s always been, I’m always looking for and checking out new stuff. I don’t really understand how one’s attention span for music could become short. I get that were all coping with an overload of information all the time now and I do what I can to curb that but no matter how burnt out or overloaded I am the joy and excitement of finding new music is unsurpassed so I’ll never stop seeking that high

Definitely, I have my executive/time based dysfunctions so just as I can read and then end up skimming parts, I can start a track and flip forward and back to get a sense of where it’s going.

I do require some small force of will to keep my own music on a particular path without getting so “interesting” through novelty that it can be taxing or omnidirectional, the path needs to make sense and have some top-down structure to follow.

A mate’s? Yes, I support my friends (within reason.)

And yeah, more avant-garde or complicated compositions sometimes need longer listen to know if I actually like it or whether it’s not going to connect.

If you’re not making pop music or using a traditional pulse, it’ll take longer before it “clicks” in a person’s head.

Basically just this, those of us that do deep dives into topics don’t only do it with music curation/dj research, and we only have so many hours in the day before we nod off so sometimes the music just happens in the background and we dive into other research.

1 Like

I fast forward through a song to hear the singer. If I like them, I’ll try the song out. If I don’t, SKIP!

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve noticed lately that I can sometimes make my music a bit too busy and have to put some effort into scaling back a little bit. Thankfully that tendency is usually evened out by my laziness.

1 Like

I think a little “smart lazy” can benefit a lot of us, in terms of getting things out the door. Preemptive optimization is always a problem.

The trick isn’t making things audibly interesting, the trick is expanding the “boring” sections out, orrr leaning in harder to make the initial “exciting” bits the “boring” bits of a track and then doing more!

1 Like

At 150 bpm 24 bars is 38.4 seconds, that’s about the average cut time between songs for a lot of performing DJs - not all, but a lot. I’m wondering if it’s the very few whom they are setting this pace for, or if many people have an unexplainable short attention span for hearing what is in some cases even familiar music - at least in the case of who a dj plays for.

I am not a dj, I’m only averaging numbers here. I don’t think it comes down to less appreciation, it comes down to possibly less patience or other external factors, but I equate it to attention span.

rarely listen to new music. if its something that i was interested in prior to listening, i dedicate enough time to go through full album or a mix. when i do random dip, i dont pay much attention and its just background. skips happen if vibe of song is too far off from the mood.

Depends on music genre and artist!

1 Like

This might sound weird, but my music consumption and attention span are really high since I started using YouTube Music for a good portion of my listening. This was totally unintentional. I got a 3 month free trial of YT premium and ended up keeping it. I find that the YT algo is really good at suggesting things that I like. I listen to a super wide variety of music (lots of classical, obscure-ish 70s jazz, old D&B, etc.). It’s constantly suggesting things I haven’t heard that are good.

This is interesting because I’ve noticed that my interest in vocals has gone waaaay down over the last few years to the point I don’t want to hear them at all. It’s like when I’m reading a music forum and all of a sudden someone posts a political post… I just don’t want to hear it lol.

I just listened to the entire trilogie de la mort (I wasn’t a fan, but I gave it a chance anyway ), so I think my attention span is pretty good.

I think the problem is just that people are too frickin’ busy. When they get a spare moment to rest they are so tired they don’t want to do anything.

1 Like

:sob: nil

Depends. Can you turn yourself away from this masterpiece?

1 Like