What makes a machine sound organic?

Well put. But if you use a word to describe what you think it sounds like, that is subjective. That’s just what the word means. The fact that you “disagree” doesn’t mean one is right and the other is wrong…it’s subjective; opinion, not fact.

And I think it’s why modeling will never quite achieve the same tonal charasteristic as physical instruments or amplifiers. There’s just an endless possibility for randomness with physical objects, how the strings ring, harmonics form and how the circuitry or tubes react. And you can totally hear it, especially if a player wants to incorporate those possibilities to their playing. Say, with feedback.

1 Like

Hmm, this is maybe more semantics than relating to the actual thing we’re talking about, but sure if you use vague terminology it’s subjective how people interpret it. But if we define the word “organic” in the context of this discussion so that participants all agree to what it means, (for example as a sound that has a physical presence some way, as opposed to a model or a recreation of a sound synthetically. Not the best definition, just an example) then I don’t think it’s subjective.

Do all participants agree on what it means; what aspect of sound it refers to; if “machines” can sound “organic”? I’m not trying to define it for anyone other than myself.

Critique of music/art is subjective. It would be semantics to use the words “subjective” and “opinion” interchangeably.

And it’s great if “you don’t think it’s subjective”, someone else will, and that’s why it is- its a matter of opinion. It’s not a matter of being right or wrong:

I don’t think it’s really useful to disagree on the definition of a word if it’s being used in a predefined context, and needs to be clearly defined in order for the discussion to make any sense. I mean those are two different topics; what makes a machine sound organic and what is organic in the context of sound or music. The first topic is useless to even begin to discuss unless we have established what organic means on this context.

Sure. The definition of words might in principle also be completely subjective, but in my opinion it shows very poor social skills to get stuck in the definition of a single word and sidetrack the whole discussion. And honestly if you think everything is completely subjective and thus any true statements are impossible to make, fine. No use in talking to you at all then i guess, since you probably don’t understand a word because we define the meaning for all words subjectively.

Coincidence?

3 Likes

“Remarkably uninteresting” :rofl:

1 Like

Spaghetti!

So according to that guy, organic in the context of synthesizers basically means applying several lfos to modulation destinations. At no point did that Iridium sound like something from nature. At least it confirmed that I don’t want an Iridium… The M on the other hand,

I hope Jameson Nathan Jones is on this forum! I really dig his music and his videos

1 Like

The person playing it.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Each “note / strike” sounding a bit different.

There is a “presence” of the previous note in the next note.

And also woody.

I’d say it is the opposite of sterile and synonymous to “humanized - natural”. It is a natural fluid dynamic sounding sequence of coherent frequencies. And woody

:thinking:

1 Like