What next after Analog Four?

Am really just starting to fly with this amazing piece of kit - Analog Four - and the endless capabilities associated with this machine; but what can it NOT do and what is the next step or piece of equipment to buy?? Is a drum machine next on the agenda for example??

What have you not been able to do with it so far? What is missing from your music? What other equipment do you already have?

2 Likes

‘Easy’ addition for A4: wavetable osc

1 Like

None at the minute, The A4 on its own is enough for me at the moment; I am just thinking what it CAN’T be e.g Maybe I have answered my own question in saying that it isn’t a sampler?? Probably just need a lot of time to sit there playing it.

Roland TM-2 four voice .wav module for triggering drum samples from the CV track!

$170

2 Likes

If you want more Elektron gear, get an Octatrack imo.

Otherwise… maybe a small drum-focused modular setup, using the A4 to trigger/sync it?

1 Like

Like this, maybe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cavkb-SPes

Nice work! The TM-2’s a new device to me, and it seems like it would be highly usable with the A4.

It is, and quite flexible.
For the 4 drums out of TM-2, I recommend a Kick panned hard left (internally in the TM-2 pan parameter), to send into A4 Input L, then the other 3 sounds panned hard right - sent to A4 Input R.

Once that is done, on the FX track, you can p-lock the pan of the external input R to move those other 3 sounds around the stereo field, and treat them with p-locked delay, and reverb, separately from the kick.

It has 100 Kits. Each with FX.
I recommend naming them in accordance to the A4 kits that use the TM-2, to easily match the A4 kit to the TM-2 kit.
I prefer to do this manually, because while the TM-2 does respond to MIDI program change from the A4, the 100 kit limitation doesn’t line up to the 128 program changes that A4 sends.

A few tracks that are only A4 + TM-2:
Samples on the TM-2 are Acidlab Drumatix drum hits.

5 Likes

If you live in the states I HIGHLY recommend the MDUW, the sounds compliment each other splendidly in some lovely contrast of the Analog and digital- cold cerebral beats to go with the warm, lovely tones.

I say if you’re in the states because I’m selling one here :smiley:

1 Like

What next after Analog Four?

Analog five of course. :wink:
I very happy with Ot + A4. Can cover almost all my needs.

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoy using the CV side as a way to sync and sequence gear that has no midi (not that the A4 can do this anyway)

So you can clock anything from a Korg with sync i/o to a semi-modular synth and there’s the effects once you bring the sound in the inputs

The CV side is extremely flexible, so to me, as it’s part of the package it’s a natural way to extend it … chose a percussive/synth flavoured source that fits your needs

2 Likes

every time you post tracks made with a synth + TM-2 I thank my gassy stars it only runs $170. they’d both fit into a pelican 1510 with room for a heat.

as simple as possible but no simpler … :slight_smile:

3 Likes