What's the sequencing theory in IDM?

I feel like this went a bit under the radar, or maybe I just had my head in a shed but here’s Aphex Twin’s recent app, in case anyone missed it. A lot of fun to be had.

2 Likes

it does! and it looks so great

1 Like

I would like to say, great and interesting post.

And just something to consider, more paragraphs increase readability :blush:

Edit: Edited for more paragraphs

1 Like

What audio to midi convertor works with electric bass? I have wanted something like this forever.

Also I agree that randomizers just don’t do it for me. The only way something like infiltrator works for me is if I just grab little sliced ideas from it to change up the hits.

Like that thomann demo didn’t sound that great to me on the drums. I think the drums must be programmed with intention or it doesn’t come off right. Imo.

https://www.jamorigin.com/products/midi-bass/

Autechre are Autechre

The is still noone being able to create a beat like autechre in 2023

2 Likes
1 Like

100000% agreed

They are the kings

1 Like

I found a free PDF! Probably just a preview for anyone interested.

3 Likes

My favorite IDM is horizontal music like “Vordhosbn”. That’s a dense piece of music that could fool someone into thinking randomization tools were used, but I’m pretty sure RDJ composed every tiny element with intention. By horizontal I mean that very little repeats, and each idea leads into the next. It’s closer in character to a solo than a typical song. It’s a narrative, and every bit is very decisive and confident in what it’s doing and how it’s teeing up the next portion. It’s a perfect composition, IMO.

On the other hand, there’s so much classic IDM that’s vertical, like “Montreal”. It just establishes its perc and bass and then builds up and breaks down. That’s such a typical formula for IDM and its perfect for that dreamy and imaginative world building IDM is good at, where you’re just immersed and swimming around in something generally repetitive but with energy that grows and fades over time.

I really think this is the soul of it all TBH.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure all of druckqs was created using a tracker, but with external sound sources. As sure as one can be about information that comes from rdj himself, but this source kind of confirms it Aphex Twin reveals how he made Drukqs track 'Vordhosbn'

And it all seems very intentional.

3 Likes
1 Like

Aphex Twin has been using the Cirklon sequencer for a very long time. I’d say it played far more of a factor than ProTools… This is a great read/interview with him where he mentions it, amongst a lot of other gear & ideas:
part 1: https://archive.ph/cTNxL
part 2: https://archive.ph/aKu80

Those early IDM, Warp, and D&B producers were often only using 8 channels max, and often with bare bones setups. It’s a labor of love, and as been mentioned already, many meticulously plotted each drum hit, and synth line. Many times casting rules to the side. Chord progressions were forgotten, specific timings dropped. If it sounded good it was good. Got to put in the work. Try less. Eq and limit your sources. Use a Spectrum analyzer or use your ears to see/hear which frequencies you have way too much of and look to remove some of it.

2 Likes