When did having the original box become a thing?

Yikes. I couldn’t keep boxes for a long time because of housing instability and the need to have all my stuff fit in small spaces and rented bedrooms. I’m still pretty selective about the boxes I keep, despite having a little more room to spread out now

2 Likes

I put all my collectible boxes in my collectibles house. My primary home is the showroom floor…

2 Likes

What? A record without the original sleeve is completely worthless.

As I said not always of course. Decksavers if applicable for equipment is of course a great bonus to a sale and condition of any item.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh and exaggerated just a little to get my point through, but I do get nausea of the thought of gear getting separated from it’s designated box. I guess I’m OCD like that.

Here in Finland the housing is cheap and it’s one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world. We have plenty of space to store our boxes. Every apartment has an attic or cellar storage space. Actually in my current apartment we have both. I can store all the boxes I will ever need.

3 Likes

Not worth arguing about, but I like many other DJs buy music without proper sleeves all the time, although they mainly come in white card or shiny black paper sleeves. In the old days it was mostly house, techno, dnb etc and these days mainly old funk records mainly. Nicer to have original sleeves, but not essential. Some promos, some full releases that originally came in better sleeves.

Each to their own, but you are wrong if you think there’s no market out there for a large pool of vinyl without sleeves for a large number of collectors. I can understand there are some collectors that must have pristine vinyl in pristine sleeves, but they aren’t the only record collectors out there and some sleeveless records go for £100s, of which I have many in my collection. I certainly wouldn’t be giving them away if I were to get rid lol

1 Like

:sweat_smile: I’ve got two synths up for grabs with Decksavers AND original boxes. In fact, one still has the film on the lcd screen :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Funny, I was going to say the exact same thing about people who keep unnecessary cardboard piled up in their houses.

2 Likes

I just realized this thread is the embodiment of “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”

:laughing:

5 Likes

Since the time people can think ahead.

2 Likes

Thought I’d replied but couldn’t find anything so I’ll try again.

Some buyers feel a little more secure if the purchase includes the original box. Right or wrong, as a seller I’m gonna try to cater to that just in case.

As a buyer, I’ve experienced some absolutely atrocious packing jobs for purchases that made me wonder if the seller was missing part of their brain. So I can understand the extra feeling of security that comes from buying something with an original box.

Having the original box makes shipping a bit easier than having to scrounge for an appropriate box and packing materials. And I’m down for making things easier. Ditto for putting things in storage.

My housing situation has always been a bit unstable. I had to move twice last month alone. Having the original boxes can really help, especially if it’s at short notice.

7 Likes

Check put your local classifieds and you’ll see people selling empty boxes for gear. Cameras, synths, and so on.

I keep my boxes, and take photos of them when I sell the gear. It sweetens the offer, just like taking good photos on sunny days, pointing out (and photographing) scratches etc, and writing a short but personal description.

People like that stuff, and I always sell gear fast.

Also, years ago I moved countries, and shipped my giant old iMac in a non-original box. It was very well wrapped, but arrived with a massive dent on one corner. In this case it just added character, but those original boxes have a job, and they do it.

4 Likes

I try to keep all my boxes and regret giving away my Technics 1210 boxes to my sister for her house move back in the 90s. Same with the V7’s and big keyboard boxes. They take up a lot of space and that can make it difficult to store them, but it makes it very difficult to resell a lot of things that are heavy, clumsy, or both without the inserts and heavy duty cardboard.

I do pay a bit more for original packaging then, especially when I know i’ll need it for a problem free resale as i’ve bought a few pieces of gear that were damaged in transit ie bent rack ears, a snapped rack ear, DOA’s, bent knobs and encoders. It’s a lot of hassle returning stuff and costs the seller money too in postage and repairs.

2 Likes

They’re not unnecessary, tho.

1 Like

not to you

1 Like

Precisely. Not to me and many others. Thus not unnecessary.

1 Like

Unnecessary to me and many others. You and others aren’t everyone.
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
That’s the point.
The guy I was responding to said you’re a slob if you don’t keep stacks of cardboard boxes in your house.
I just thought that was super weird and silly.

1 Like

You dont have to stack them.

1 Like

Right
If I did keep cardboard boxes, I’d lay them out on the floor in an Ankh.
Make a game out of avoiding them when I had to sweep the floor

1 Like

I remember as a kid my brother always would keep boxes and tell me too. I had boxes for lots of gear until about 10 years ago i reckon, and i threw them all out to recycling. It felt good, very good.

I keep a box for something new for about a week or two, right by the front door, ready to be thrown, just incase new kit dies early and then fling it.

I reckon if buying or selling “bring/send your own box” should become a trend :nerd_face: