Which monitors do you use?

JBL 305 Mk2 or Kali Audio LP-6.

Both great.

2 Likes

Yeah and half the price of the Genelecs , I’m very tempted, still intrigued on the jbl 104’s though

I use these too (the previous version tho) and I’m really happy with them. White version is gorgeous.

2 Likes

Yeah looked at the Kali’s as well they get good reviews too

Yeah looked at them too, there seems to be 4 or 5 decent monitors at around the £200 -£300 mark

The JBL 104s and iLouds are good for content consumption mainly, if you want monitors for music production, the JBL 305s or Kalis will outperform the other two.

My tip on monitors is, buy the best you can afford.

2 Likes

The iLouds are quite good in my small room, I also have Equator D5.

1 Like

The jbl’s are good price , however they will be quite near a wall and are rear ported , the ilouds are front ported , do you think this makes a big difference

Neumann KH310A.

Along with the Neumann headphones.

Very pleased with both.

1 Like

I’d always choose front ported in a small room, rear ported will sound flabby if too near a wall.

2 Likes

Agreed, or sealed.

^ Yes, although harder to find.

Ok , good advice, front ported it is then, ilouds look like best bet for me

Daren I’ve seen a picture on here of your small studio before, have you got that picture handy showing how you have the ilouds set up

Is your room treated? What are you aiming for / wishing for from your monitors?

At that price range, personally I wouldn’t worry too much about front/rear ported.

To my mind, both the JBLs and Kalis are superior speakers to the iLouds in more ways than one. But they are also not Neumann’s or Dynaudios. And the iLouds are well loved also, so I’m sure you wouldn’t regret those either, ESPECIALLY if your room is (very) small.

The Kalis have switches at the back where you can set your speaker placement (eg close to a wall) to help deal with the reflection issues (I guess it functions as EQ). And the JBLs also allow you to flip a switch to weaken then low end if against a wall.

If your room is small and untreated, technically you’d have all sorts of issues no matter what your speaker. Though if your room is very small (eg 8-10m2) you’re better off going with a smaller speaker for sure.

Either way you will have to learn your speaker (and your room) to mix successfully on it. So I’d go for the speakers that give the highest resolution / best separation, stereo stage, clarity etc etc.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a small box room, no treatment but lots of shelving, books , canvas wardrobe etc so quite a dead room, I’m certainly not looking at anything professional so the ilouds will probably be good enough for me

1 Like

I’ve had 8020’s, A7’s, HS80’s and out of those my preference were the A7s for how mixes translated onto other mediums. The reality is it prob came down more to the size of the monitor for my environment. HS80’s were too big. 8020’s too small.

I’m now actually just using my Kef’s (LSX) which I know inside out.

1 Like

Here you go, the placement isn’t optimal but the room is roughly 2.1m x 2.8m and 2.2m high, the monitors are roughly 1.4m high on the axis and 80-90cm apart, approx 10cm from wall. I monitor from the middle of the speakers such that my noggin forms an equilateral triangle :laughing:

The room has mineral wool panels for reduction of high to mid range flutter and early reflections, no bass traps because I don’t have the space and I don’t really need them because of the small drivers, and listening at fairly low levels 99% of the time. Also I have both sets of speakers set to the boundary settings i.e all the bass at lowest settings.

Definitely not a super pro environment but I’m reasonably happy that it translates well enough.

There is quite a lot of heavy stuff in the room and a fair bit of gear too, so it is pretty dead with regard to reflections, the panels I used were about 180 for the set though they seem to have gone up in price since I got mine, highly recommended though.

This is what I used

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks mate, they are tiny next to the equators, would you say they are top of the range computer speakers or do they hold there own vs the equators

An ancient (relatively!) pair of Event TR5’s. They do the job for me but I wouldn’t mind investing in a second set of monitors for AB comparison etc. My pal got the Mackie 824’s and they always sounded good.