Which monitors do you use?

I used the JBL 305 before I upgraded and can really recommend them. The stereo separation is really good, I would even say excellent. They punch well above their weight.
They would be my choice in combination with beyer dt770 pros for the bottom end.

same, but with the 120s instead of the 310s :wink:

1 Like

Before going ahead with the ilouds, came across the iloud speaker which is rechargeable and Iā€™ve seen in pictures of studios, I know not great for proper stereo mixing but could be handy with iPad. Also the cheapest KRK ROKIT RP5 G4 which are about the same price as the ilouds, I hear theyā€™re good for dance music but that may be the bigger models, any thoughts, anyone have any of these two

Just been looking at a comparison between the ilouds and the Eris 4.5, got to say I was impressed with the presonus, only problem is rear ported but you can get the non Bluetooth for about Ā£115 for the pair , bit of a bargain

Anyone with the iloud, krk or Eris 4.5 ?

I have those KRKā€™s as a 2nd pair of monitors and I was pretty surprised how good they sound for the money. Iā€™ve had more expensive monitors that didnā€™t sound as good and the built in DSP allows for a good bit of adjustment if needed. Iā€™d very much recommend them given the price and context.

I donā€™t know the iLoud, so I donā€™t know how they compare. Iā€™ve heard the Eris model mentioned above as well at a friends place and they sounded good too, but I prefer the KRK (with the front port) if for no other reason than Iā€™m more familiar with them. Itā€™s a pain, but you can always return/exchange if you donā€™t like something.

1 Like

I got Eris 3.5 s for the tiny untreated room Iā€™m in now. They have a faint self-noise but Iā€™m living in the country now (well, the urban-fringe scrubs really) and itā€™s very very quiet. Placed about 18cm out from the wall - they sound great for what they are.

3 Likes

Yeah still not decided, I like the look of the krk plus front ported, only downer is no Bluetooth if I want to hook up my phone

The 3.5 bt are very cheap and get great reviews but rear ported, itā€™s a tough decision :thinking:

1 Like

Iā€™m curious about the iLoud. Someone got those and wanna share his thoughts. Sorry if this has been talked about up there in this thread.

By the way, I use Adam ANF-10 (Passive) with a Fostex Sub and Alesis M1 (Active).

Anyone in Australia (or anywhere else really) ordered the APS Klasik 2020? Specs look good with 39-25khz +/- 2db.

After an upgrade from my original Adam A7s/krk sub

I just ordered a pair of kali audioā€™s LP-6 and they arrived today. Just to see/hear if the hype is real. My reference monitors are ā€œYamaha HS-8ā€, which I normally use. But sometimes when Iā€™m really lazy I use my ā€œRazer Leviathanā€ sound bar :grimacing:

1 Like

I was just reading up on theseā€¦ I love the size and that they come in white, so unobtrusive. Might be my next purchase.

Iā€™ve been using the iLoud MTM for a little while now; they sound pretty good. I donā€™t like everything about them, but they do sound lovely once they are calibrated to your room.

Pros: small, loud, simple calibration, sound way better than youā€™d think

Cons: no markers on volume, no sub output, build seems kind of cheap (plastic housing)

I got them on a pretty good sale, so Iā€™m pleased with them.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used an old school pair of passive event 20/20s since about 2005, they were old when I bought them. I was already used to the sound since they were in everyoneā€™s studios at the time.
I briefly had some Tapco 8ā€ powered monitors but they hyped the bass way too much, sold em. Picked up some powered 6ā€ events and liked them but had to reduce down to one pair for a long distance move and I just liked the old passive 20/20s better, or at least knew them better.
When I moved into the house Iā€™m in now I ended up with a much smaller studio and the 20/20s were just too big. They donā€™t seem to have their mojo at lower volume. On a whim I grabbed a pair of those weird art rm5s for stupid cheap (too cheap not to try) and I actually like them. Theyā€™re unconventional but they work well in my room. Huge sweet spot which is nice. Long sessions donā€™t leave my ears blown out. Iā€™m still getting used to how they translate but I might end up keeping them. Iā€™d like to get a single auratone (or something like it) for a second reference.
Iā€™ve always had a sub in my setup but itā€™s off most of the time. Just to check mixes for big techno sound system reference and occasionally for non critical jamming. I have some powered Sony hi-fi sub at the moment but itā€™s response is slow. I miss my krk 10ā€. I hear the Rockville clone is good so I might try that out.

1 Like

I am still enjoying my eve audio sc207. The more I mix on them, the better they get.

I have a very limited space (with some treatment) and they translate really good.

Just got in the JBL 306p MKII. For the money, these are pretty great. Thereā€™s a bit of hiss compared to my other monitors, Mackie HR624 MKI, which Iā€™m guessing is from the class D amp. The low end is there too, but definitely not as tight as the Mackieā€™s. Overall, they definitely are well worth the price of admission.

Any thoughts on monitors which cover low frequencies well?

Iā€™m still using an old pair of HR624s for mixing and stereo monitoring.

When I want to hear the bass, I switch over to a Roland BA330 - small PA amp/speaker combi. Thatā€™s really useful for giving a rough idea of what the sound will be like on a PA.

Iā€˜ve owned Eris 5 and Yamaha HS5. Both are okay. But noisy. Theyā€˜re cheap in terms of shielding. I have big problems because I live 50 meters from a 4G-Pole and I hear constant HF noise. So if I had to buy again, Iā€˜d get some Genelecs.

2 Likes

And? How fo you like the Kalis?

1 Like