Who is the Bob Dylan of the Electronic Music world?

The early Black Dog albums (involving the Plaid guys) are good too.

2 Likes

Yeah I remember buying spanner’s I think it was, I think they were on the artificial intelligence stuff as well

2 Likes

They were indeed

1 Like

For me Danny Howells

King Tubby to Adrian Sherwood. I think Eno said he felt like giving up when he first heard Dub and Im not talking about dubstep. I mean sound systems they should count in this disscussion … anyone agree

1 Like

Honestly I thought about this and saying Björk is the Bob Dylan of electronic music would be putting Björk down a bit. She’s much more interesting, curious, experimental and creative than Bob Dylan ever was. She’s more like the David Bowie of electronic music, or maybe David Bowie was the Björk of guitar music? Either way Björk rules and is kind of beyond any comparisons honestly.

7 Likes

Truth.

She is my fucking hero.

When I was going through a hard time years ago I just couldn’t put words to my feelings. In an effort to try to help my girlfriend (now wife) understand I played her Hyperballad and she got it immediately.

I don’t really listen to singers, I often find them quite annoying, but Björk can see inside my soul. It helps that she sounds amazing too.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting pick. I dig it.

I was also thinking Beck could be a pick lyric-wise, but I’m not sure how “electronic” any of his work is as I’m not that familiar with his studio/production methods.

2 Likes

He definitely had (a) phase(s) of being very hiphop-influenced/sample-heavy. Aside from seeing him live a couple of years ago, I’ve not been keeping up with his work, so I can’t say more than that.

2 Likes

Funny, I find Björk really annoying.
The singer that can see inside my soul is Beth Gibbons.

4 Likes

Interesting - I was just thinking of Björk on my way to work today, and how she is one of few contemporaries, I would call a genius.

3 Likes

imo Kraftwerk is No.1 in this story! Eno and Stockhausen of course, but…

What about:

• Bernard Parmegiani?

• Luc Ferarri?

• Pierre Schaeffer?

• Basic Channel?

• Autechre?

• Aphex Twin?

• Juan Atkins?

• Pete Namlook?

• Mika Vainio?

• Mark Fell?

• Cabaret Voltaire?

All of them are artists of the highest order and they were/are highly and deeply influential (for more than one trick)!
All of them significantly changed things!

5 Likes

Dob Bylan

3 Likes

FTFY :wink:

1 Like

I agree that Björk is not comparable in the least. I was mostly attempting a good faith effort of OP topic which is so abstract as to be nigh impossible.

I do think this could make an interesting, if pedantic, series( who is the____ of ____ music?) as this query certainly has raised some hackles :grin:

Solid list. Only minor amendments I would make is to include Ilpo along with Mika. Also Carsten Nicolai.

1 Like

All I’ve gathered from this is kraftwerk, musically, can be considered the Beatles of electronic music in some ways.

1 Like

Laibach made some masterful covers that even outperform the original version like this ’ Ballad of a Thin Man’

1 Like

:100:. Pure entertainment. No comparison or list on music anywhere means anything.

2 Likes

Agree! :+1:

1 Like