Why are we more interested in buying gear than using it?

Took me forever to gel with the A4. I was too busy trying to get it sounding like other synths I replaced.
Someone on here challenged me to find its sweet spots. Once I did I decided I wanted an AK instead.
I like the AK, just miss the tight little dark trinity set up for gigs. I’m changing up my gig strategy instead.
Just OT & RYTM.
Took years to really dial in a rig.
The last few years I haven’t had the desire to add much new, definitely not replace stuff.
I just got in the flow of what I have.
Now that flow has more value that adding something new.
Feels good to be locked in.

2 Likes

I love The Devil and Daniel Johnson for so many reasons, which I won’t go into since it would derail the thread, but its examination/recollection of Daniel Johnson’s diy approach to music is definitely apart of it.

Undulations is also super inspiring. That guy is quite a character- his eccentricities are really endearing but that isn’t to belittle him in any way. He’s just so much his own person and he’s obviously very knowledgeable and insightful about the instruments and processes he focuses on. Super underrated channel.

1 Like

Definitely just go for it. If you have that many just deliberately waste one, fill it full of junk thoughts or whatever, maybe that will help? I mean with every page really destroy whatever vision of yourself you imagined could come into being through buying the notebook.

Plus, I imagine like any skill that keeping a notebook is something you can improve over time, handwriting, layout and formatting etc.

I’ve had a few nice notebooks that I’ve done nothing with for years for similar reasons. Almost worse than unused ones are the ones with a few pages used.

Most of my day to day notes and scrawls tend to happen on branded notepads from conference venues etc. never seem to run out of those but it does mean I can end up drowning in loose sheets of A5 paper.

2 Likes

I can honestly say that I’ve never remotely thought of it like that, but it makes a great deal of sense and I’m sure you’re right. Thanks for the different perspective!

1 Like

I got into notebooks long ago as a way to keep all my scraps of paper in one place.

I started with the cheapest spiral notebooks and upgraded over time to moleskines & fountain pens, as budget permitted.

There are a lot of “fancy” notebooks out there that are supposed to be aesthetically pleasing, but are made with awful paper. Cheap spiral bindings or more expensive sewn lay-flat bindings are the easiest for
Me to work with.

My organization strategy is by topic: I have separate books for professional stuff, music, and general stuff.

The big Moleskines are expensive but last six months. Also, $20 is four espresso drinks so i don’t find the cost to be burdensome. But $4 spirals work just as well as long as you are careful not to crush the binding.

4 Likes