Why buy a synthesizer when the app is just as good?

…just as little reminder and note to our innerselves…

almost 90% of any music hitting any ears out there in the real world, is streamed…
to be then heard on bluetooth speakers or ear buds…just sayin’…

4 Likes

[citation needed]

…just read the official stats of the biz…

sure there’s vinyl back on it’s rise…sure there are hifi lovers…
but that’s ALL the other 10 to 15 %…the leftovers of the sonic birthday cake…

and no matter what great instruments u record in first place…
end of the day, it’s all endless rows of 1’s and 0’s…

5/6 :muscle::sunglasses:

I don’t have a computer or iOS device (but I have done in the past). For me it’s 4 things:

• Physical fixed control surface, no mapping needed of controllers
  • No distractions
  • Resale value
  • Nice to look at / touch
1 Like

Same as me! But I didn’t listen to them, I just researched common algorithms for patterns of the type and number of outcomes for the given parameters.

Science, baby, science.

2 Likes

You beat the system! Well played :handshake:

I have the 12.9’ iPad Pro but honestly just touch screen is so much different than actual knobs. Only have 1 piece of hardware, so I’ve tried incorporating my iPad before but the i/o and interface just don’t spark joy.

The whole thing depends on personal workflow. Also style of music you create plays a role.
If it’s about fiddling with a synthesizer, knobs and a keyboard are probably more enjoyable than a mouse or touchpad.
If it’s about focussing on getting a specific track done with a synth, having multiple instances of a vst without the need of caring about cables or recording, might speed up the process.
If you love to jam out your track in one go, hardware boxes usually will make this more hands on and practicable than a laptop setup.
If you want to write an orchestral track, you would not choose a minimoog or 303

If you enjoy raw analog sounds, @Fin25‘s polivoks will give you a better experience than a vst or even hardware VA. If you like fm synthesis, granular stuff, or physical modeling you maybe find deeper sound possibilities and often more usable interfaces in software world

3 Likes

My thoughts too. In the real world it hardly matters. If your just into listening with hi end monitors one piece of equipment thats Analogue you will say yes it matters. But im done with that shit having owned gear since 1980. Go with whatever vsts or hardware to write tracks.

1 Like

I agree. Do and use what makes you happy. I’ll use both analog stuff, and the most grungy digital stuff, and I love both. In fact, I might like old school, dirty digital the most. I’m just saying, that there is a difference, and people not being able to discern it, does not change that.

But you will have to kill me first before you can have it.

3 Likes

Maybe we can visit you for a little filter sweep and a coffee? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If you have a hybrid type dedicated controller like the mpc touch or machine,. It’s a bit different, but if you’re using a generic midi controller with a random vst it’s really not great. You have to map everything, not all midi controllers have pages, how will you label them? Etc.

It’s possible if you have a very static setup, but if you switch between a bunch of vsts and software a midi controller is never going to be mapped very effectively in my experience.

You won’t receive emails or annoying notifications on hardware. If the hardware synth include the keyboard, you don’t have to do any midi mapping either.

1 Like
  1. I wish it mattered less, i’d be happier!

2. Similarly, sometimes I can call back to a full mix and point out where i used a hardware synth.

Without notes, I often can’t!

Hardware can be inspiring, but there’s a feeling of inspiration from just pressing power and going.

Would you be able to offer a blurb on how it helps your workflow?

I haven’t found the sweet spot for how my brain works so i’m wanting to give a fair shot before i clear it out.

I think for me it’s more about the one knob per function straight out of the box than anything. Midi controllers are great, but setting them up is tedious. If i could get a midi controller with a display per button, that logically and automatically mapped itself to vsts, I don’t think I’d ever consider a hardware synth again. Possibly. Maybe. Probably not.

2 Likes

I hear this sentiment often.
I’m never sure exactly what it’s trying to say.
Is it that the music maker should lower their fidelity preference because anyone who may listen is 90% ok with it sounding bad?

2 Likes

This for sticky :arrow_up: