Why do we gravitate to limits?

Why do we gravitate towards limits?

Because we are limited.

Definitely correct in many ways but I come from a rock music background and I tend to always look at how I do things as a, how would this been performed? In a live setting what can be done that feels visceral and hands on.

2 Likes

There’s also something to be said for the “stages” hardware imposes. Generally there’ll be a preparation stage, a jamming stage, a recording stage, an arrangement stage, a composition stage, a mixing stage… Working all in the DAW I used to get this weird feeling of freefall, like there was no structure to the process and everything was always undoable so nothing was committed. It might be just that I needed to get out of the DAW to learn habits that’ll enable me to be more effective in a DAW, but that’s the thing, everything in a computer is an abstraction - based on something else, other things that came before that I might not be familiar with. I need to have experience with that thing it’s based on in order to think about DAW’s in a way that feels comfortable and sensible to me.

It’s about mastery, and you can only take on so much. My AK has four voices; that’s about what I can keep track of while playing.

I was going to start a thread similar to this. I’ve recently sold all my gear and only kept the Electribe 2! I know it’s 7 year old now and it has many flaws, but I like the fact that it’s all ‘in the box’.

I love samplers and sampling (trip hop is my genre of choice), but I kinda get overwhelmed with the limitless sound sources (be it YouTube, freesounds.org, sample packs, field recordings etc.)….and I have an unhealthy obsession with things ‘being in key’.

2 Likes

aesthetics