Why has no one built the perfect sampler yet?

Haha. Hey guys, remember that time when Craig asked for the perfect sampler and it was announced the following Wednesday. /Thread

6 Likes

ahhhh those were the days… remember the Octatrack and that quirky DJ guy who made a video review who didn’t quite know how to use it and duped us into believing we needed to couple it with his own mastering equipment because he thought it sounded crap?
Man - I miss those times!!
@Fin25 (I’m sending you a fiver)

3 Likes

Pretty quiet round these parts nowadays, huh? Anyway, I should get back to sampling stuff on my :infinity:Track. See you around, yeah?

Ah yeah…those days…
I need to get back to those days and put spdif on my OT

So why don’t we think the Deluge is the perfect sampler?

I know why I don’t think it is :slight_smile: but as far as features and workflow goes, it nails it.

But the Dellie’s box with Elektron’s output quality and multiple outs, and that’s basically it, right?

2 Likes

Merge this with the Bitwig 4 thread pls mods :wink:

It it really better than the OT?

Anything sounds better than the OT…

2 Likes

Does the OT itself really sound like anything? it’s what you put in that defines the sound, the OT is merely a tool or a vessel.

2 Likes

A swiss army knife approach would lead to convoluted menus. Maybe thats why there never will be a ‘perfect’ sampler.

14 Likes

It’s a lot like the perfect footwear though isn’t it? The best shoe for one occasion won’t be appropriate for others.

The spectrum of sampling is so broad that trying to make one device to rule them all really does lead back to a computer. You mention granular earlier. To me, I see that as a branch of sample manipulation but I don’t expect a sampler to be able to do it.

1 Like

Chuck Taylors are the worst shoes I’ve ever tried.

3 Likes

The second hand prizes and demand still rising for the EMU’s, Akai S series and Roland S series etc. Or even more crazy for the Fairlight CMI, Synclavier and PPG. People really starting to rebuild them.

Perfect timing for a new hardware sampler!

2 Likes

Likewise. They’re like PE pumps with a rep, but my wife loves them. I always liked 90s Vans. Felt like you’d stuffed your feet into a pair of small, blue, pseudo-suede sofas.

As much as the idea appeals, I don’t think there is a market for it, or that I’d want it really.

I love samplers and sampling, but some features I’d want are too niche, and some features others want I’d never use.

Multi sampling definitely has its place, but in reality it is mostly a ball ache and a compromise - with a few exceptions.

Granular is interesting, but can be a bit samey and is fast in danger of crossing the line to meet shimmer reverb and sidechaining and all those other distinctive flavor of the month type things because of the (mostly) unimaginitive ways (most) people use it.

But I’m probably in danger of going off into a long and boring paragraph or two, so I’ll just close by saying that there have been some notable and excellent spins on sampling technology almost since the technology arrived, it would be cool to see some of these in a modern form, though not all necessarily in the same machine, for UI/UX reasons.

5 Likes

media

That’s made my fucking day, that has.

3 Likes

I’m finding the S2400 to be my pretty much perfect sampler. Sampling is a piece of cake, midi implementation is great (I run it with my Cirklon) and the crunch and pitch shifting is the sound I’ve always wanted (and that my MPCs never delivered). Super happy!

5 Likes

Maybe you are right. Four years ago this Percussa System 8 came out. I was just lurking for this System 8 but so far the developer could not realise to make all the plans happen, so the system doesnt work well, even after paying for it upfront by some users. Bottomline it’s also about the dedication of the maker.

3 Likes

This is where dedicated hardware can never compete with computers. Virtual and modeled instruments are at an unbelievable level now and most TV and a large percentage of films are being scored with these instruments, but you need to be running a pretty powerful computer to make the most of it. I find multisamples fascinating, but it’s a crazy world. I went down that rabbit hole during the pandemic and my wallet took some heavy hits.

2 Likes