Writing better melodies and harmonies (on Elektron machines)

I want to use dorian mode, but the minor 6th is definitive sound of techno. It’s my greatest dilemma and the gordian knot preventing me finishing anything

1 Like

Ha, I love that scale and never realized it’s name, thanks :blush:

1 Like

Great thread. I cheat, I use Launchpad Pro Mk3 scale/chord modes. I pick a mode/scale, and use my ears, usually I make something far to fulsome, and the the trick then is removing notes.

I agree with all those above who point out simplicity and rhythm as key elements in melody. I listen to a lot of Johann Johannson, Max Richter, Phil Glass, even Sibelius, as well as Kate Bush and Stars of The Lid, and Bob Dylan. We can all spot a good melody, and we can’t even defend against a catchy one…but yeah…how do you write one?

I wouldn’t say I’m good at it, yet, but yeah, simplicity, rhythm, using your ears, removing notes, adding space.

There is a good MOOC I did, where they cover the basics of music theory, I recommend that, too. (https://www.coursera.org/learn/edinburgh-music-theory)

As for “with elektrons”. The DN has a great way of picking a scale, and only playing those keys. Run it in live record, noodle, remove notes. Don’t always quantise, cos that is where interesting rhythmic elements can come in. For me, LPMk3 goes into the DN midi in, and I play stuff in that way. I spend a lot of time going “live record, clear notes, live record, clear notes”. As soon as you get a phrase/progression you like, move to the next pattern, so you don’t end up stuck in a four bar loop and building layers.

I usually use 3 tracks, one for “chords”, one for a melodic element, one for bass. I usually add them in that order.

5 Likes

Nowadays you dont need Music Theory to make music.

Despite the clickbait title, I found this useful … not as the only approach, but as a way of thinking about melody.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this, this is absolutely amazing content!

2 Likes

Concur. I started that and found it answered some of my questions, partly in the realms of music theory, but the most useful content was outside that. ‘Form’ in particular was stimulating.

1 Like

This is the exact same for me, it also how I approach melodies. I too am mainly bass/guitar player and got an indie band and I also jump about in a punk band, the way I layer my guitar is not to produce separate melodies but all layer to make a whole and your ear then can’t pick out what note is on what layer/guitar, then add different effect to different layers to make it even harder to pick out.

I’m a synth novice but I approach making my electronic music in the exact same way and for me atleast it was easy transition and manage to have same end result. A whole complex melody made up of 4/5layers of simple 3/4note hooks.

1 Like