Yamaha CK Series Keyboards

You are confusing the Reface YC synth ( the red one ) with the YC Series synths. The second is a much higher end product. They are different.

This is about the YC Series and is written by Blake Angelos :
The Organ Section is amazing and features two tone generation engines: Virtual Circuitry Modeling (VCM) Organ for classic organ behavior and character and a new 8-Operator FM Organ for creating new kinds of sounds. There’s also VCM Rotary Speaker (and many other effects) to complete the sound.

The sound generation in the Reface YC :
is based on Yamaha’s well-respected AWM sample-based synthesis …

This should be helpful for the questions @bwo had earlier though.

1 Like

BTW : It’s probably better in general to not watch Anderton videos. They’ve screwed it up more than once, though i guess they are getting better.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking to get a decent stage piano for a couple of years and have tried a few out. I’ve been looking out for a good deal (S/H or ex demo) on either a Kawai MP7 or 11 but I’ve seen a few reports of keybed issues. I’ve not tried any of the newer Yamaha’s but I’m gonna have to take some time out and get to a showroom where they have a few. I love the reface CP for it’s sound but I’d really like a good quality graded hammer action piano keybed. I’d actually love an original CP70/80 or MK1 Stage but funds and space prohibit it! The other alternative is a higher end controller keyboard but I’d rather have a self contained stage piano that I can use as a controller for the times when I just want to sit and play without needing to set up stuff. I’ve got a few old large format analogue stage pianos that I love to sit and play but they’re all pre midi

2 Likes

I will be interested to hear what you think comparing the keyboards of the YC88 with the CK88.

The Yamaha page describes the YC88 as follows :
The natural wood keys and graded action of the YC88 reproduce the weight and response of a grand piano right down to the feel of the heavy or light hammers in the low and high ends. YC88 also features a triple sensor action for pianists accustomed to the response and speed of grand pianos. You get the touch of a Yamaha acoustic piano with the unmatched versatility of the YC.

Whereas the CK88 has the Yamaha GHS ‘Graded Hammer Standard’ keybed. So i imagine minus the wood. But that also probably saves weight as well.

So how good does the CK88 feel ?

1 Like

Reface YC uses FM-X and AWM2 (sample playback)
Reface CP uses SCM and AWM2

From what I can see the CK’s use only AWM2. When Blake Angelos said the CKs have “more than the Refaces” he’s talking only about FX from what I can tell.

2 Likes

Very intriguing. I’ll have to try the 61 in person. I’ve been wanting something like a reface cp/yc combo for years. Shame it looks to be synth style keys rather than waterfall but that’s not the end of the world if it feels good, just less classic organy.

1 Like