Your favourite Ambient artists and tunes

From the album “Together is the New Alone”. Don’t hear many people talk about this one, but it’s an excellent ambient album.

3 Likes

Jogging house
Loscil
Shipwreck detective
r beny
Paperbark

3 Likes

This peaceful beatless skee mask album. Really great stuff

I’ve always been somewhat suspicious of Ambient as a genre, because it often seems to be no more than a sustained chord or two, or a series of chord tones, with a lot of reverb and hardly any other organizing principle or generator of interest, a suspicion borne out by the thousands of meaningless “ambient” things posted on Youtube every day. (If it suits you, I should say, that’s great — you’ll never be in short supply of stuff to listen to.) But I do love some of the Aphex Twin ambient tracks (like “Lichen”) and this Brian Eno piece which, though it’s basically just a looping melody, has a hymn-like inevitability to it. I’m sure everyone has heard it. When it’s good, like this, there’s no kind of music I like more.

1 Like

Love this album by Masayoshi Fujita & Jan Jelinek

also love this description of the album from the comments section:

This album reminds me of an alien world with no predators, no insects, no animals or people; nothing but beautiful and exotic foliage, colored turquoise, teal and emerald to absorb the light of the twin red dwarfs, which seemingly casts the planet in eternal sunset, temperature always a perfect 69.2 degrees Fahrenheit. The plants release spores that gradually slow your breathing until your heart stops, their roots absorbing your enzymes as the warm rain trickles softly down your corpse.

I have yet to confront the full enormity of Robin Storey’s post- :zoviet*france: catalog, but of the albums I’ve heard, this one has always stood out.

While I’m happy about all of your replies and after I enjoyed all of your recommendations in this thread over the past months, I crafted a lot of Ambient sounds on several synths. Now I played some of them live while recording videos and I think I’d like to share it here as well.

Ah love this album. Donnacha Costello has done some awesome music, loved his more 4/4 stuff too

Found myself getting quite in to ambient in the last couple of years. One of my favourite albums of the last year or so was Ulla’s: Tumbling Towards a Wall - Album by Ulla | Spotify

1 Like

Great album!

1 Like

Recently discovered Warmth/Svlbrd. Absolutely love his work. But this one is particularly great:

Another favorite is Joachim Spieth - Ousia:

1 Like

Hi there.
My first post on this forum :slight_smile:

A lot of my favorite ambient musicians were already mentioned in this thread, nice!
One is missing, so I’m adding him to this list:
Jon Brooks / Café Kaput

One of my favourite albums of him is agri montana:

The other one is 52:

That’s his instagram account:

3 Likes

welcome :slightly_smiling_face:
nice first post

1 Like

Re: Eno
I’ve been listening to this lately:

It really achieves his goal of disappearing into the background. (Nice sound breakdown)

1 Like

A few of my favorites. Seeing mind over mirrors live was an almost spiritual experience

Today I learned something new (but old):
David Parsons

2 Likes

My favorite Ambient artists today are Max Corbacho and Thom Brennan. I just love the way they create textures and harmonics. Incredible sound design.

https://maxcorbacho.com/
http://www.thombrennan.com/

2 Likes

Together with my friend FZR Sethi we did an ambient mix last weekend, featuring a track from @HisMostDarxxxellent’s label :wink: but also some Cortini and Tim Hecker, tracks from ours and late discoveries.

00:00 Incision: Silky sky
07:40 Incision: Déni divin
11:18 MMMD: Egoismo
16:20 Incision: Melocoton
20:33 Thamel: Margit
25:48 Less Bells: Fiery Wings
31:37 Tim Hecker: Our First Whale
35:55 Siavash Amini: Lustrous Residue
43:41 Poltergast: Small talk
46:36 Namscha: Carnificina
51:42 Puce Mary: Obedient Grounds
54:12 Zoe Mc Pherson: Taste
56:21 Gazelle Twins: Belly Of The Beast
59:15 700 Bliss: Cosmic Slop
62:39 Lying Dalai: What Am I? ft. Antipop Consortium
65:25 Incision: Hora Futura
70:09 DJ Krush: Still Island (feat. Shuuzan Morita)
75:09 Poltergast: Fragile time path
75:48 Allessandro Cortini: Perdonare
80:18 Lying Dalai: 0-contregoast
86:57 Terrain Vague: Unreleased mix

The following thread is also full of sources!

4 Likes

Not music related but i love that font for track labelling. Reminds me of typewriter days :grinning:

1 Like