1010music Blackbox

Ahh yes, the tough fight against GAS.

Regarding the 1/8 scale: the sequencer resolution will be 8x lower. Since automation (parameter locks) is on a per step basis I’m not sure if this will accomplish what you are after. It won’t be fluent.
You could however leave the sequencer at normal scale and record plocks over 64 steps, then give all of those a 1:8 condition or higher. Then use a second midi track and record the second part of the automation and set all those locks to a 2:8 etc.

This way you can get to 8x4 bars of automation per pattern on one sound for instance.

There are better tools for such an arrangement way of working. Octatrack for certain.

1 Like

Ah, ok, thanks for the reply. If automation snaps to the grid even when recording isn’t quantized, I would imagine that even though there are workarounds, I’d run into too many walls for this to be a satisfactory solution.

Initially, a midi cross fader solution would work. It wouldn’t be automated, but close enough, as long as the scenes between each fade is properly defined. Like the Octatrack, but with midi CC messages instead.

Well unquantized recording is possible but you are still stuck with a resolution of 16 steps per page. At 1/8 scale those are big steps only one (unquantized) trig can live on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, what the hell, it’s worth a trip to the store at least. Off I go. Will be back this afternoon with results :slight_smile:

1 Like

And a digitakt.
:smile:

3 Likes

Hah, no :slight_smile: I gave it an hour and no Digitakt for me. Here’s what I learned:
In terms of function, it works. I mapped out five midi tracks from the Digitakt to correspond to five samples on the Blackbox. I assigned filter and volume control to them, and tweaked them live as well as recorded automation. I also applied specific parameter locks to the filter on a drum loop, to interesting effect. So it all worked just fine.

Two reasons made me realise this won’t work, though.

First, like @DaveMech says, the resolution snaps to the grid. That’s okay if you’re running 64 steps on a 1/1 beat. Not so, when you’re down to 1/8 and want a slow fade. It’s just horrible. The abomination! So yeah, for slower and softer transitions, automated recorded won’t work unless you spread it out over patterns, and the consistency challenges that eventually will create, won’t be worth it.

Second, it behaved oddly in terms of triggering the Blackbox samples. Sometimes, a fake trigger was sent to the sample that made it either go on or off. There was no actual trig set on the Digitakt sequencer, other than automation, and yet it behaved as if it was. Deleting the track and recording the automation again resolved it. The issue was also binary, so it either occured at once after a recorded track or not at all. So there was some predictability to it, though the result was random. Let’s assume this was user error and for some reason, I just did something that was hidden in the Digitakt grid.

But the general idea of this worked and the Digitakt workflow for the purpose was just fine, so a sequencer with higher resolution and a structure that allowed for longer takes within a pattern, would’ve been just the ticket.

However, I haven’t extensively used the Blackbox CC feature up until now, and realised that it kind of works like scenes on the Octatrack. The values are relative so as I pushed the Digitakt encoders, the automation never reached further than what the relative setting in the Blackbox compared to the default setting, allowed.

For me, recorded automation is primarily for two reasons - first, to be able to listen to a track while I’m working with it, without always live tweaking the intended transitions and stuff. Second, to keep it cool on stage and remove as many practicalities as possible from the performance, so that I can focus on the stuff that’s actually satisfactory to perform.

The CC implementation of the Blackbox doesn’t do much to adress the first point, but it goes a long way to adress the second. Given that the CC values are relative, essentially they’re safe zones for your tweaks. You can’t go any further than what the relative value allows you to do, like scenes on the Octatrack, so I figured that just hooking the Blackbox up to my Beatstep and assign the sixteen encoders to stuff, would take me pretty far.

So that’s what I’m trying next.

Assuming you already own a laptop, how about using something running on there to automate your blackbox?

For example, Bitwig’s modulators combined with it’s automation recording and ability to draw absolute as well as relative curves could work really well here.

Sure, you’ll be adding a laptop (the horror!), but at long as you keep it limited to modulation and use software that helps rather than gets in the way that might not be too much of an issue in itself.

At the very least it could help you figure out what you want to do first so that you can go looking for hardware that supports what you need later.

1 Like

Back to the deluge then ???

1 Like

Haha, nope :slight_smile: too confusing a kit for me.

Yep, it’s worth a shot, for sure. I’ve tried it with the Beatstep now and it works pretty well, so I’m going to try and record a few sessions with this and see if it’s holding up. Could be that I don’t need any automation, if this pans out well.

I don’t know how you work live, but I would resample any automation for live performance - it just feels like a way to ensure less things go wrong. And the BB has enough memory for multiple versions as well, should you need it.

1 Like

It does, but the sample slots are limited. They’d fill up with variations using this method.

Anyway, I had a practice jam with the Beatstep now this evening. Mapped all the pads to trigger the samples and all encoders to control the levels. That’ll get me far enough for now.

Don’t suppose using the slicer to allocate 128 variations (obviously the same length) per cell would help much…?
No doubt you’ve thought of this, just chiming in as I love the BB :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s a cool idea, but I’d just trade one mess for the other.

This setup actually works for me now. I’ll note down when clips go on and off, when they fade in and out, and make due with the Beatstep until I find a viable hardware solution. With Namm around the corner, who knows? :blush:

1 Like

Buy another BB.

2 Likes

Ah, nope :blush: project sync over the boxes would eventually also be a mess.

I do think the Beatstep solved my problem for now, tho. Already had one, so no new gear needed and got even closer to the Bbox.

1 Like

@circuitghost A limited internal automation workaround… (?)

You will probably have thought of and tried this already – last night at the studio, while messing around with the BB, I once again struck the glass ceiling of not being able to automate a filter sweep across the length of a sequence.

So for that specific pad, I unassigned VEL from 'Level‘, and reassigned it to ‘Filter’. Now, during sequence recording, I could move the VEL slider while triggering the pad, which recorded the filter cutoff value for the specific note triggered. Of course, the resulting ‘sweep’ is stepped, based on the sequence note resolution (rather like the default live recording mode on elektron machines, before you add slides). For a true, unstepped sweep I would still need to resort to resampling, but for the moment it’s a useful little helper that I initially overlooked. If you can sacrifice Level:VEL, you can use VEL with any other CC target. Now if only the sequencer could do slides/glides…

Btw, for real-time manual control of MIDI CCs I sometimes use an old LD-2 Faderfox, which has a nice compact format to go with the BB. They are pretty cheap now, if you can find one (got mine for CHF 50.- about five years ago).

1 Like

I had not thought of that :blush:really cool, thanks. Stepped filtering is awesome in its own right. Will try this for effect. Thanks​:sunglasses:

1 Like

Really enjoying the blackbox to sample OP-1 beats and record melodies for playback…

Used a zoom h1n as an audio interface for my phone.

Here is a lil 1min example:

5 Likes

I use my digitakt most to sequence other sequencers for the midi side of it. Don’t forget that you have the midi LFO that you can lock and use that to sweep and effect what ever CC you want and still run it at a lower speed for the most part this can get the job done. It is also worth noting that no matter what device you are using to control it you will run into some problems with midi resolution on certain parameters unless the blackbox is doing some sort of midi slewing on its side of the operation. The LFO option might not be what you’re looking for in workflow but maybe worth a try… I find it quite nice.

1 Like