1010music Blackbox

Here’s my latest on the Blackbox, a cut from a gig I did a few days ago. Performed entirely on the Blackbox, with my own loops and samples from an Ob-6 and a Tanzmaus.

In order to get past my obsession to find the perfect complementary tool to write longer songs on the Blackbox, I just decided to not keep looking but just perform the damn thing live. So much for recorded automation.

8 Likes

Wonderful. Your extended synth performance samples are really special and used so well.

Is that the BB reverb I’m hearing?

1 Like

Thanks, that’s very nice of you to say :slight_smile: I tend to record between 64 to 128 bar takes from a synth, even if it’s just a short loop, to get all that subtle but vital organic movement in there. The reverb’s actually from an Analog Four :slight_smile: I routed the OB-6 through the A4 and used the FX sequencer to modulate the reverb, using p-locks for randomization fx, while playing and tweaking the OB-6 live.

A slightly awkward workflow, not sure I’ll do it again, though the effect was nice. A bit drenched, maybe. It wasn’t until I heard it now, I realised the reverb’s all over the place.

1 Like

I’ve been seriously considering buying a Black Box, specially after reading this entire thread. Could be a really good , more creative tool and companion for the OT, especially for random inspirational bursts anywhere from the couch to the studio.

2 Likes

Exactly. From couch to studio. You can really get something nice, and then reconstruct after sampling into OT or pair it up at all times. Either way. I like the blackbox a lot because it forces you to not think about effects (it has delay and reverb) but how to mangle sound instead (granular/clips/beat counts). I have been quite pleased with it for sure.

You can also make awesome tracks with just the blackbox!

2 Likes

Decided to try and use the built in samples (from different folders) and challenge myself at making a 130bpm song. All sequences were made using the built in keyboard/pads with live recording mode. Really happy with just 2 synth samples and some good drums:

Just sharing to let people know you can have a blast with just this box and what it comes with.

Was pushing the CPU a bit here (granular/clips/reverb/delay) on a good amount of sequences, but it’s good to dial back and be able to make a good lil sketch.

I could have resampled but I got lazy :joy:

7 Likes

How are do you like Blackbox for sequencing/sampling in comparison to the Digitakt or even the OP-1. I watch your videos and I cannot tell what is causing my GAS symptoms. It all looks like a lot of fun.

1 Like

@ANON20yhouse530

Digitakt technically has more power over MIDI in terms of control. Think parameter locks and CC messages. For me the blackbox is great because I can clock my DFAMs but if everything is MIDI and you aren’t worried about polyphony (there is a chord mode however) I would go DT. Also don’t forget about overbridge if you work with a DAW.

Who knows what the blackbox will be able to do in the future but I really do enjoy it more standalone or just for start/stop/clock.

To be fair 16 channels and 16 separate sequences would make the blackbox a beast in comparison especially with polyphony but I am not sure how much that impacts the CPU.

The sequencer also has more steps on the blackbox. So that is another consideration.

For sampling I prefer the blackbox right now as I have returned the Digitakt but there are some neat tricks it can do that make me regret that decision. DT (if you don’t mind mono) has more powerful effects as well as LFO controls.

I am probably going to get a DT again. It seems to be quite the monosynth when used correctly with single cycle waveforms. Also the looping is wild on the DT!

However the portability of the BB and the workflow are really fun and I quite enjoy beat count modifications and the granular synth (which can be done with an LFO on the DT).

Unclear if that helps or not :upside_down_face:

They all fill their own purpose. But the OP-1 is pretty meh for sampling (for me). Good synth engines though! I would consider the DT unless the blackbox fits your use case better.

For me the BB is great because: Stereo - Poly - Clock with Semi Modular - USB host - MIDI - Different workflow - Portable - SD card - Clip/Granular/Slice/Sample modes per pad

1 Like

It’s funny, everyone is here composing entire tracks with Blackbox… And for me - it’s just a live looper/sampler. A very powerful and small form factor one at that.

When I’m doing DJ sets, I have a couple of presets/projects I just load up with different drum samples, atmosphere samples, FX, and loops to layer over.

When I’m doing live sets is where it really shines. The OT is too big for me for what it does, but the Blackbox does exactly what I need it to do and barely any more. I can run secondary drum loops/sequences from it to complement my AR2, and particularly, help in transitions - I feed its record from a send off of my mixer, so I can resample any channel on my mixer. So I can record an entire loop off of my AR2, synths, and Eurorack separately, and be able to fade those out and change them while the recorded loop plays. If I’m doing a b2b set with a DJ, I can resample loops off of his tracks and edit them.

It’s such a small box, but it’s so powerful. I wish it had a better per-channel step sequencer though.

5 Likes

I really should know this by now, but…

Can I just sample a loop and have it play back instantaneously? Is there a method to do this?

Yep. Make it a clip. Record it with a pre-defined set of bars. It’ll start playing the instant recording stops, live looper style.

5 Likes

Dang, thanks! That sounds fantastic. :smiley: Glad I asked!

I didn’t really see the value of Clips, now I know.

2 Likes

It is da shit that looper dreams are made of.

Even funkier, you can set the sync rate which controls when a loop should start in relation to when you trigger it. It goes down to 1/16 at least. Bam, and you got yourself a polyrythmic looper😎

1 Like

Changing the “beat steps” is also really fun on clips!

Thats it! I just ordered one…
Been looking for something to do longer samples / lofi mashup stuff. Have not been interested in the SP404s and I don’t need all the extras that octatrack would include. The form factor is super interesting to me as well.

2 Likes

Hum, one more question:

If you’re using clips, the sampled clip doesn’t automatically start playing – you have to push the pad on the screen, right? Or do you pre-make sequences that contain a trig for said pad?

EDIT: Right, the pre-determined length makes it play instantaneously!

Also, a bug :-/ If you do pre-define the length, and resample, the metronome doesn’t get silenced during the resampling operation.

The sound quality is amazing. You are going to enjoy it! Woohoo

Since we’re all Blackboxing now, here’s a new joint from me, a new sound I’m trying out. Lots of live playing going on here, I created a separate thread for it in the My Music section, but here it is, just briefly, and would love any and all feedback, if possible:

4 Likes

I mean this as a genuine compliment- it sounds like a lo-fi raw sounding floating points track from the new album. He’s brilliant and the new album is fantastic, so basically- this is awesome and your stuff is a cut above most stuff posted on forums IMO.

1 Like