1010music Blackbox

https://uffuff.bandcamp.com/track/exacerbate-break2 audio thru ableton fx

2 Likes

Yoo at around 20 seconds that is tight! Nice track :tada:

Blackbox can really do wonders. Audio quality is always mint!

1 Like

Hi there, I have a BB arriving soon at at home. Do you mind if I ask a few questions ?

1. The outputs are at modular level. Is is true for the inputs as well ?

2. Would you say that I can send a mono signal from the modular to the BB to be processed (mainly just a delay) and send that wet signal, mixed with BB samples, back to the modular ?
    My setup will be :
    MN Rosie SEND to BB.
    BB output (samples + processed modular-Rosie) to Rosie L/R Return.

Hope you get it and that itā€™s possible !

From the manual: Blackbox assumes Eurorack level audio is coming in to the audio input jack at +/-5V. If you are using a line level signal of +/-1V you may need to adjust the input gain on the recording screen.

3 Likes

The BB canā€™t apply its effects to the incoming signal in real time, it has to be sampled first. The monitor is always dry. Unless Iā€™m misunderstanding your question.

1 Like

Ahā€¦Thatā€™s a shame. Really.

thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Still on my radar, Iā€™ve been watching a few videos of the BB, noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of clicking on some of the examples - could be earlier firmwares? Is this still an issue or has that been fixed?

I think my main usage for it would be as a sequenced stems player as I have other samplers more suited to normal sample duties. Anyone using the BB for this kind of work?

I think the sequencer and song mode looks quite interesting and fairly unique in a hardware device, it seems to cover a lot of what interests me, the ability to set sequences of different lengths and realtime jam record sections of a song looks to be quite intuitive, fun and flexible.

Thereā€™s clicks and pops if you push it too hard, and / or if you go for polyphony and play it like say a synth or even a keyboard.

Iā€™m a pianist so am used to moving around a lot over the keys when Iā€™m in that mood, and for that purpose, multisampling polyphony style donā€™t work well on Blackbox. As it cuts the envelope of the last note to trigger the next one, voice stealing causes clicks. For slow pads and monophonic bass lines, itā€™s great though with no clicks & pops.

Essentially, the more you go for fx and filtering, as well as time stretched clips (and the granular engine!), the closer you get to unwanted artefacts.

Thereā€™s no way Iā€™d recommend anyone to stay away from the Blackbox because of this, just to be very aware to not expect it to push all sixteen sample slots to the max, no matter what you put them through.

2 Likes

Ha, just realised it was you AR - read your review, as a fellow kitchen disco aficionado I just buckled and ordered one :rofl:

1 Like

Our love for the funk will never fade, @darenager - never. :man_dancing:

2 Likes

No Sir! Thanks for the infos and persuasion on BB :heart_decoration:

2 Likes

I think youā€™ll have a great time with the BB @darenager - my intentions for it are exactly the same - quantized sampling of synths and then playing them as stem-like samples, with optional filtering and effecting. That I think itā€™ll do well. (Have had it for a bit but havenā€™t yet gotten around to, say, playing 16 stems st a time)

2 Likes

Sorry if this has been asked already: can it sequence in sync long clips (say 64 bars) ? How would you specify the length of such sample ?

(Iā€™m thinking about it for long backing tracks)

1 Like

should have read the manual :stuck_out_tongue:
Capture dā€™Ć©cran_2020-01-08_16-26-47
So no full track but 8 bars stems.

EDIT: Should have read better :rofl:

Capture dā€™Ć©cran_2020-01-08_16-36-44

So yeah, totally feasible.

1 Like

Thanks, yes Octatrack for main sample mangling, short loops, realtime sampling, AR for drum/synth hits, SP16 for all-in-one jams, Deluge for all-in-one jams, BB for stems and bit of granular weirdness - 5 bloody samplers! But I think they all have strengths which for the meantime means Iā€™ll see how I go :joy:

Looking forward to plumbing the BB (possibly semi permanently) into the Aira FX modules for filtering, delay, compression etc, and into Zoia for other fx.

Just joined the 1010 forum so hopefully see some of you fine folk over there too :wink:

4 Likes

Iā€™m looking at getting one of these as well - sort of as a combo with my OT. Would probably use it for long loops made in Ableton to mix in and out of tracks on the OT. Would also like to have a few samples triggered with the BB sequencer routed out to their own outputs into a Eventide Space, all in sync and use a few sample slots to live sample my monomachine/synth loops in the studio. This all seems possible from reading through this thread. Not sure if it could handle these different tasks easily.
I guess my only question would be-
If I want to change the 16 pads out for another preset- I know there is a gap of time before it reloads (as read here), but does it stay in sync. Iā€™m guessing it does. As

Mine just arrived, not tested it yet, but it is so tiny! Even smaller than I expected, still not too small to be fiddly.

The build quality though - superb, even better than I expected, it feels like no corners have been cut, very impressed so far.

7 Likes

Mine arrived today as well.

2 Likes

Nothing like new gear landing on a friday!

2 Likes