1010music Blackbox

I freaked out at how small it was too. Still heavy for its size!

1 Like

Haha, wow this little nutter is hella fun! I literally just had a quick 15 mins playing around, not updated the firmware yet, but took a sample of ā€œride on timeā€ and chopped it up messing around, super nice slice implementation. I didnā€™t expect it but this would be great for remixes which for me is a nice bonus.

Really pleased with it so far, and I have no clue how to use it properly yet :joy: But I can tell that it is sufficiently different than my other samplers to be justified in my setup, thanks to all you guys for the info in this thread, Iā€™ll probably write up a bit more once I get my head around it.

9 Likes

Once you update the firmware make sure to mess with beat count on clips. Simple but powerful!

2 Likes

what would you like to see in an sampling features update for the blackbox?

ā€™Lazy choppingā€™ or whatever its called - play a sample, hit a pad where you want the slice markers.

Real-time adjustment of slice scanning.

Iā€¦ guess thatā€™s it? Iā€™m fairly basic with my sampling workflow, the main draw for me was quantized sampling start/end and thatā€™s well implemented. Most important Octa feature if you ask me.

Ordered mine toady

2 Likes

Who are you calling Toady? :joy:

3 Likes

From a sampling perspective I am honestly happy with the current feature set. Now that I think about it thoughā€¦internal resampling without using audio cables would be greatā€¦

EDIT: It is possible! See post below :tada:

@selfup Unless Iā€™m missing something you can resample internally without cables.

2 Likes

Oh? Maybe itā€™s not documented? There are a few neat things that arenā€™t in the manuals yet. That would be huuuge, then I could resample grains/clips and free up some CPU without having to change my signal chain.

EDIT: Omg I figured it out.

Never tried touching that button. Just assumed it was always L+R :joy:

To:

Unfortunately in the manual (1.3) the only occurence of ā€œresampleā€ says you are to use line-out to line-in:

Good to know I wasnā€™t going crazy. Thanks for making me try a few things and get around to figuring it out :pray:

3 Likes

You guys please stop it. Iā€™m g.a.s.ing now and itā€™s not even namm yet. :rofl:

1 Like

Non-Synced timestretch: I would like to be able to slow down/speed up a sample without pitch changes & without having to sync it.

I make beatless music & often have samples that I want to slow down or speed up by a small amount without pitch changes (atmospheric or speech samples for example). Using clips it is often impossible to achieve this without stuttering. Using granular the attack of a looped clip is lost once grain size is adjusted to so that it sounds smooth.

3 Likes

Unfortunately in the manual (1.3) the only occurence of ā€œresampleā€ says you are to use line-out to line-in:

Iā€™m not sure how youā€™re reading it, but doesnā€™t it say your options are L, R, stereo input, or resample? If it was saying you had to route the main output physically to the input, then that would be the same as ā€œstereo audio inputā€ and not listed as a fourth option in that paragraph. Itā€™d also be inaccurate because you could physically route any of the outputs to input, not just Out 1.

I guess that sentence isnā€™t greatly worded. I just assumed ā€œgenerated by blackbox through Out1ā€ as go ahead and resample the output using a cable. Once I read that I never tried the menu. Next time I should be more curious :joy:

It didnā€™t click in my head. My fault for just using ctrl + f. I probably could have looked at the screenshot but never did.

Most device manuals are pretty explicit on ā€œHere is how to internally resampleā€.

My mistakeā€¦

1 Like

Agreed it could be clearer, the options should be explained in their own list instead of all crammed in one sentence. And maybe include your picture of the 4 options :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hardwired resampling has its benefits, tho. Behold.

9 Likes

ah yes there is always a nice FX chain :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep. Out and through some flavoured hardware and right back in again.

1 Like

Okā€¦

Well that was enough to make me place an order.

Guess Iā€™m gettin a blackbox on Monday.

Nice

4 Likes

nice