1010music Blackbox

Whoa. Look at me go. If you’re following the Analog Heat thread on replacing it, I made a brief jam for the purpose, to compare a track recorded straight from the Box, one through the Heat and one through the SSL SiX. Here’s the first one, no mixing or sculpting, straight from the Blackbox:

5 Likes

Gotcha. I’ll have to watch some videos of the BB, I guess I don’t really understand what it’s used for. I remember seeing some people say that they had replaced the Digitakt with the BB, and without microtiming I don’t understand how that is possible. I’ll go peep some vids. Great little tune btw, very chill and twinkly! Clearly it’s able to have nice tracks made in it.

Recalling our conversation the other day on what the Digitakt can be, and the opportunities you revealed, I’d say the Blackbox doesn’t come close to the Digitakt for the purpose you’re using it for.

To me, it’s my place to record long takes, resample stuff through fx pedals, pick up long jams, slice them up and move them around. The sequencer does a few things the Digitakt don’t, and while it doesn’t do much, it does just the right things for me.

But yeah, they don’t much compare. If you replace your Digitakt with this, it’s because you want something entirely different than what the Digitakt is.

2 Likes

A bit on the fence between this and the pioneer sp16.

Can the BB stereo individual outs be 2x mono too?

Ah I gotcha, well that sounds like it definitely has its own cool workflow and purpose. I’m interested in knowing about it so I’ll definitely investigate. I meant to check it out a while back and just never got around to it. I’ve recorded some longer loops on Digitakt that are from a piece of gear that’s synced up to the DT, made a nice perfect loop, and it always sounds really cool right up until I change the tempo or whatever, and then I usually just delete the sample from the pattern or p-lock the start and end to just grab one-shots out of the longer sample. It would be nice to have something to trigger from DT that can play really long samples.

2 Likes

There are plenty. What sort of sounds are you into ?

More ambient, chill sounds. Four Tet, Indian Wells, Tim Hecker (though he uses a lot of Max), some Luttrell, some Flume. Oh, and early Shlohmo!
I hear Synthscaper is good for ambient stuff, and Model 15 is good period. Would those be good places to start?

Synthscaper and Model 15 are two that I don’t have experience with but they are by all accounts excellent and deep.

I find granular synth apps very immediate for generating wonderful ambient tones. Check out Spacecraft and Borderlands granular Also been digging into to Audio Damages Continua for extremely long evolving sounds with deep modulation possibilities.

Brambos Mononoke is new and once you understand it’s architecture generates some amazing atmospheres.

Anyway, don’t want to derail this thread, so maybe have a look in the iPad apps thread and post there.

Yup, you can sen to 1/2/3L+R or 1/2/3L or 1/2/3R.

Hmm :thinking:
This could be a good spot…

Making multisamples of “real” instruments has been a fun use lately.

6 Likes

DT and BB make a great pair. Nice little stand!

2 Likes

I agree, The Octatrack is lurking back there too :wink:

1 Like

I just had some time to try the BB in my lunch break and I’m amazed at how easy it is even for a beginner such as myself to start sequencing drum patterns and melodies, it’s astounding. Can’t wait to go home tonight to jam some more :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s the perfect companion to a eurorack too: generates clock, can record and play CV as well as audio…

1 Like

This is the first track done with Blackbox + OP-Z
Not super proud of it, mixing and mastering are utter crap, but with a few samples and the OP-Z I could very quickly create something, which is what I was looking for, this is huge for me.
Again, thanks to everyone in this thread, especially @circuitghost, who gave me lots of tips and explanations and convinced me to pull the trigger on the BB!

2 Likes

Glad you found some use in the advise. I quite like your track, it has a nice and catchy upswing to it, reminded me a bit of the golden years when me and my friends camped at our Commodore 64:s and played games until the sun went up. Nice work.

2 Likes

Thanks man, it means a lot to me :slight_smile:
I’ll work on improving my skills, hope to get better one day at a time :smiley:

2 Likes

As long as you love the work just for the work itself, you’ll get to any point you want in time, hardly even being aware that time’s passed once you get there.

2 Likes

Hey guys, does the piano roll auto scroll left-right and up-down when navigating with the encoder?

I’m starting to lose it now, feeling like General Kurtz in the Heart of Darkness. I just got a Chase Bliss Mood and warped a very simple eight step thing through it, and made it into something its mother wouldn’t even recognise. I wouldn’t say enjoy, but I will say here it is:

3 Likes