1010music Blackbox

Question: would it be possible to record each pad separately as a wav when jamming (now or maybe after a future update)? Or are there other easy ways to export individual pads/channels to a DAW?

That works. If you got a bunch of Ins, the Blackbox has three stereo outs. And if you got only the stereo pair in, you can easily mute pads as you play back or perform your music from the Blackbox.

It’s old school multitrack style but it’s perfectly doable.

1 Like

Hopefully someone can give you an answer here. I just live record (PLAY + REC) without lead/metronome so I’m not a heavy piano roll user. Wish I could help

Thx! I was hoping for something less old school :wink:. Would be so cool to be able to jam and record at the same time in the blackbox. So that in the end you have sixteen wavs you could export to a DAW.

But I imagine that would require a much larger amount of dsp/processing power.

Multitracking with the OT I always found rather cumbersome.

I don’t think so. I think you move it up and down with your finger, touch screen style.

Overall, the piano roll is functionally effective but in practice, a bit cumbersome to use. You should consider it a way to edit stuff that you really want to get right, not a way to generally work with you rmusic in the Blackbox. Especially if you’ve been on a grid controller and know how effective a grid system can be for piano roll workflow. This is like looking at its potential but not being able to access it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, internally, you can. The sample slots can act as loopers, so as long as you’re in the box, you can totally do this, like you can with the Octatrack, but only much more convenient. As soon as you wanna export, though, stuff gets old school.

1 Like

Aren’t samples you record saved as wav files though? Or you mean like, if you make a drum part from kick and snare samples, you can’t just export the whole pattern without resampling?

Thanks! I’m getting my Blackbox on Monday, can’t wait :grinning:

1 Like

It’s really fun. Just a few questions to ask and everything else is pretty much intuitive.

Seems others use the piano roll for editing more so than making.

In the beginning I used it to make basic 4 on the floor beats to keep me in time, but the quantization on live recording made that method obsolete real quick!

Now I just barely use it to add a note so never really explored using the encoders.

I use it primarily for arranging long ambient tracks so usually just 4 or so inputs to get a minute or two of ambience haha.

Stoked for ya!

Yep, samples are wav files, including resampled ones. So exporting stuff can be done, as long as you’re aware it’s one file per sound or recording, however you choose to divide it after that.

What I mean: say I jam for 10 minutes using all 16 pads. I would like to record everything per pad, so I have 16x10 mn of wavs. Then export to Ableton and have 16 tracks with wavs I can line up easily and eq/filter/add fx etc.

And if the blackbox cannot do that, is there another sampler that can do that?

Blackbox cannot do this. It can sequence/mangle WAV files live and sample sounds into a WAV. The only thing that comes close (that I can think of) is an Analogue Rytm/Digitakt with Overbridge but you would have to record all channels (not 16) into Ableton while jamming.

For me it would be an absolute game changer to be able to do that. Works like a charm with Korg Gadget on iOS. Jam, record every track and then export them as wavs to Live. Would be cool if there would be hardware that can do that.

1 Like

Yea so far I just sample what I deem “good” into my DT/OT for FX/Mangling but i can totally see the appeal. I don’t think it has the CPU to do this unfortunately.

That would be a cool feature for any new sampler in the future.

1 Like

@Hooger

Not to pollute the BB thread anymore but check out MPC Live explode/exploding tracks. Had a hunch so i googled a lil bit. I would assume this applies to the MPC One but not sure… Seems that it is maybe close (not exactly…) to what you are looking for!

Thx, I will

1 Like

At the risk of stating the obvious why not just pull the card from BB insert into computer and copy the files that way?

Or do you mean the samples and the sequences?

Yea I think it’s an ask of: “Record what I am doing (FX/Granular/Clip/Sequence/Live Keys/Grid) for each pad as a track WAV while I jam without a songmode being needed into separate WAV files under the hood”

Which would be pretty baller…

1 Like

Exactly that!

1 Like

Ah I see, I don’t know of any hardware sampler that could do that unfortunately.

1 Like