1010music Blackbox

Don’t Overbridge do that? All tracks at once, as they’re going, no matter what I do with them? Digitakt style.

@Hooger

16 playing tracks with recording = 16 tracks being read from card, 16 tracks being written to card.

There’s the current bottleneck, it’s not necessarily the CPU.

Not even Overbridge can do that, nor a dedicated mixer like the Behringer UFX, Tascam Model or A&H QuPac.

Gadget isn’t reading much from internal storage, as most plugs there are softsynths or length-limited samplers (RAM).

Come back in 2025! :grin:

2 Likes

Yea the ram running out of buffer room makes sense here. Also all those writes would lessen the life of the cards pretty good overtime as well. Thanks for pointing that out. I just mean in terms of the BB itself. I can push the CPU pretty good with 8 pads if I use a good amount of reverb/granular/poly

Another venture with the Chase Bliss Mood pedal into the Blackbox. Resampling ftw. And hey, the Mood is also apricot-colored, which makes me love it even more and look like the Blackbox pretty cousin. Or not at all, actually, but it’s very pretty, no less.

And here’s the track -

5 Likes

90s electronica vibes here, love it.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

How are you finding the mood? Is it a sort of happy accident machine to resample?

Interested in it and the blooper. mood seems a bit like a Panda Particle/chopper/glitches/micro looper?

2 Likes

It’s exactly that. You have no idea what’s gonna come out of it. But you’re likely to love it. It’s like a pearlband of shiny, happy accidents, colored in apricot.

3 Likes

Thanks, I hope I can test it tomorrow. I’m aware that the sequencer is not the strongest point of the unit. Full pattern navigation with one encoder would sweet it up though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone tried running their Blackbox with an LPPmk3 for sequencing?

Ages since my last post but I’ve finally raised some cash. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Blackbox today, will I regret it? will I love it? I am still pondering on the Digitakt, but will keep you posted

1 Like

Got the BB! Super happy :upside_down_face:
Answering my own question - yes, you can use the encoder to navigate the entire sequence on any zoom level. It will auto scroll (or rather auto jump) to the next note even if it was not visible yet.

2 Likes

This is good to know! Might use it more often than usual now…haha thanks!

Whoah!! shipped already. Can anyone recommend some decent headphones to use with the Black Box 1010 as I don’t have any, budget around £100 GBP or less. AT some point I would also like to get some monitor speakers to use with the BB. What would be your suggestions? Re monitor speakers I would also like to get either a Helix Stomp or Strymon Iridium so that I can record my guitar and pedalboard into the BB.

Headphones - Beyerdynamic DT770 or Sennheiser hd25-1 II

3 Likes

thank you… will take a look

1 Like

Quick question for anyone.

I have a MC 101. Do you think it’s possible to hook up the MC 101 to midi out to the BB. Set up a drum track on the 101, Since there are 16 pads and 16 areas on the BB, could I set each pad to play each sample on the BB?

So, I’d love to sample some cool vocals into the BB. But then use the 101 to sequence them how I want and then do some other drum tracks or pads using a tone track…something with the 101.

I just dont want to spend another 1K on a 707 in order to sample. If I can speng 600 on a BB and use my MC 101 this way, it would be a blast.

Thanks.

1 Like

The latest update on the BB lets you change any pad to trigger on any midi note, so as long as the 101 is sending out different midi notes per pad, you’ll be good to go.

1 Like

Hey all, I’ve started using the Song mode in a new way, which works really well for me. Since it behaves differently from both the launch screen and the sequencer screen, I figured it was worth a note.

So essentially, loops that stretch over multiple sections of a song don’t reset, meaning that however long or short a loop is, it continues to play from its original trigger point, even if you move from one section of a song to another. This means that if you got a 128 bar loop - which I tend to have :slight_smile: - and you want that one to play without interruption while shifting other stuff in and out - drums, ambience, percussion, basslines, whatnot - the Song mode is perfect for this, since it adds an even deeper layer to polyrythms, by not resetting loops unless they’re specifically inactive in a song section.

So instead of using the Song mode to construct a series of sequences in a structural way, which has its weaknesses since editing them can’t really be done without deleting them and redoing them, I build my songs based on two-bar Song mode loops. I then set Song mode to Song and Loop, and each section is then a part of the song. While not exactly defined in length anymore, it’s defined by purpose - lead without bassline, only bass and drums, just ambience, ambience and the lead, and so on.

I move them around so that they’re lined up in an order that makes some kind of sense. But it also opens up for on the fly improvisations as far as clip launching goes, since each section is short enoug to allow for almost instant switch to a new one, but also doesn’t reset whatever’s going on as long as it’s still present in the next section I just choose.

I’ve found that this is a much more flexible, and also powerful way, to construct songs in the Blackbox. In sequence, it’s basically my structure for the song. But it’s also a way to quickly move between elements of the song, if I want to replay it differently say in a Live context without creating a different structure.

Very convenient, I’d say.

10 Likes

Similar but opposite, let’s say I want to trigger samples from a different machine from the blackbox, would I be able to send midi out from the blackbox and into the Digitakt?