1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

I don’t know- but even if you could, that would leave 1 knob and a 2 inch touch screen- may as well be on an iPhone/Pad with any of the many excellent (and from what I have seen far more advanced) granular synth apps…

Not sure anyone else’s thoughts on this, but it seems crazy that this thing can’t record audio input audio to the card for reusing as a sample to “granularize”.

What is the point of such a tiny portable unit if you need a laptop to add sounds to it?

Odd decision I hope they will fix and make this unit more useful and complete.

Well, can’t wait to see and hear what you make out of it. Love what you do!

1 Like

Oh thanks a lot! The price point is a bit steep for me right now so I might wait until it starts popping up on Reverb. :grimacing: It definitely makes me want to experiment with granular stuff though, maybe the ZOIA will be enough to scratch that itch!

I really love granular synths and at first I was VERY excited about the Lemondrop. But, like many others, I agree that the price is prohibitive. Especially since I’m in Canada and they are over $500 over here. At around $300 I would have gotten it for sure, and probably the Fireball as well. For now, I’ll keep using the granular synths I have on my iPhone instead.

3 Likes

Yeah lemondrop has me thinking about getting a norns shield again… even if it is a bit more fiddly. Have you tried getting a USB isolator for your noise issues? or is it something else causing the noise issues? I had some noise problems with M8 and digitakt when I first got it but a usb iso fixed that, supposedly you would idealy have a usb iso for everything you own which starts to make the prospect of USB power pretty annoying.

unfortunately the Tracker samples are mono. a true portable polyphonic sampler could be the Deluge, if you can stomach the somewhat esoteric UI. it also comes with an onboard synth, virtually no voice limit and a great sequencer. (off-topic)

(on-topic) the 1010 ecosystem, if you were to buy into it now, is truly an amazing collection. these two boxes along with a blackbox and a bluebox would give you ALMOST everything you need all in a footprint that can fit almost anywhere. on the downside, I really still dislike the step sequencer on the blackbox… but playing, capturing clips, and playing those back in sequence is MUCH more in line with the 1010 ethos, it seems, and for that this is really something amazing.

1 Like

I’ve considered one, but I really don’t like the idea of an extra attachment that makes my Shield bulkier. The thing is, the output is a bit quiet on my Shield, so I have to run it through a headphone amplifier if i’m not plugging it into my mixer, which already adds to the bulk… I’ve decided that I just won’t be syncing it with midi when I’m using its audio inputs, although it works great if I control a synth script with external midi. I can use the tape function to record live performances and tweaks of the script, and then load those recordings into a granular script.

Btw, I’ve read that all of the noise issues have been fixed with the newest batches of Shields, so it makes sense to buy one now, if you wanted to go that route.

Your comment actually made me take a look at usb isolators again. The ones I had originally seen were all a solid piece that stuck straight out, but big surprise- there are other less bulky designs!

Do you think this one could work? Or do you recommend another one that shares a similar (foldy wire) design

1 Like

someone in the M8 discord said that one worked for them… the one I have has an insanely bright LED on it which makes it kind of annoying but it is even smaller. I feel like if I get more I would go for that one or this one

the one I have currently is wrapped in tape to try to block the LED but it still is quite bright lol

1 Like

Damn, these little things are pricey. I guess if they do the trick…

I’m curious about the one you have? For me, the smaller the better, and I’m fine with taping off the light if it bothers me.

I got this one because well it was cheaper than the other single body ones, it solved my problems but the green LED is like 100x brighter than the red one in it… not totally sure what they were thinking with that. Its still not really cheap though and its body is a bit bigger than the more expensive one.

1 Like

Oh, I misread you. I thought this one was smaller. I totally know what you mean about bright lights. My usb to midi cord has a ridiculously bright flashing light, which I’ve also taped off.

It looks like there’s a used version of the red one that’s about the same price as yours. I might snatch it up. Thanks for the link!

first track with the lemondrop … i absolutely love this candy

hope you enjoy …

24 Likes

Absolutely lovely. Sounds high quality. I want both the blue and yellow box.

1 Like

Really like this, but have to confess I have no idea which bits of what I’m hearing are granular synthesis from the lemondrop.

1 Like

thanks !! … everything you hear comes from the lemondrop. 1 track directly and the others recorded beforehand with the octatrack. No editing or FX with the Octa.

4 Likes

So what is the Octatrack doing, put of curiosity? Being used as a multi-track playback machine for the audio you recorded from the Lemondrop?

exactly :slight_smile: … this time i just focused on the lemondrop

1 Like

Absolutely lovely. That’s the Lemon Drop in full swing. Glad to see people putting it out in the wild now.

3 Likes