1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

Out of curiosity, what other all in one solutions are you referring to? I’m not too familiar with what other standalone granular synths are out there, let alone ones that are all in one. I know of the GR-1 and Micro-granny are stand-alone, but not really all in one. The Polyend Tracker can do granular, but it is limited and still requires an external power supply.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not like the market is saturated with options for hardware granular. Even if it was, the Lemondrop stands on it’s own as a quality piece of gear. It’s fun to use and it sounds great.

…I just got home from work and can’t wait to go explore some new sounds with my Lemondrop!

2 Likes

Well, I’m seeing that it’s sold out in more and more places, so 1010 did something right this time (again).

2 Likes

Here’s a handful of quick recordings. The sample source came from a vibraphone that I recorded at a nearby park. I processed it through the Lemondrop and recorded it onto the M8 where I cut it up and composed a long phrase with the M8’s internal effects and processing. I then loaded a render of that phrase back onto the Lemondrop where I created various patches that I sequenced and recorded with the M8.

Note: these are raw recordings, all of which use the same sample of processed vibraphone. I didn’t do any post mixing or effects, just so you get the straight sound of the Lemondrop.

4 Likes
1 Like

How are big-fingered people finding the touch-screen, particularly selecting a preset ? Looks like it might be a small target area ?

Anyone know if the filters are 12db or 24db ? I know that, to my ears, 12db/oct is sometimes not enough to tame the harshness of some sounds.

I think that’s a werewolf judging by the nails. Probably larger than an average hand.

(I play guitar so also sport offputting long nails on one hand)

I find the 1010 larger boxes easy to use with big fingers mostly, however the sequencer is awkward and use a silicon tip stylus.

5 Likes

I’ve looked through some of the reviews and all the 1010music website, forums, and manuals. No answer yet.

Maybe I’m too fussy.

On and off, I end up in places with these boxes where they bleed through my ears, especially the Lemondrop. Easy to avoid, but it happens.

1 Like

Shoots this with the M8 and the blackbox is my Dream travel rig. With an OT at home. I’ll get there some day lol. Loving the sounds y’all are getting with this thing. If anybody can record Themselves using the live input fx on vocals I’d be over the moon !

For me I need at least a 5inch ‘touch screen’ for it to be useful - If I start needing a stylus and my reading glasses it all starts being more trouble than its worth!

4 Likes

From a recent loopop video:

4 Likes

That is a silly thing for him to say, but it is his prerogative.

8 Likes

Maybe he did not get free review versions? And is pissed about that…

5 Likes

Not very silent :joy:

3 Likes

Not a big fan of this response. Comes off pretty petty.

As much as I would be stoked to get two machines in one. It definitely irks me to think that is an expectation from so many.

$399 US is a great value imo. Not to be an old man yelling at clouds, but this is the sort of thing that I think is a negative product of the internet. This sort of smug brashness of shitting on something from afar without every using it, just shows how spoiled we are with awesome instruments.

Yes it is a small footprint, with only a few nobs. But after watching some thorough reviews. This thing looks crazy deep and intutive, and to my ears sounds awesome.

For double the price of a microgranny, and three times less then the tasty chips. Seems like a no brainer pick up for those interested in hardware ganular ish.

I am gassing on one right now. Even thinking about selling my beloved SP-303 to pick one up.

Seems like a perfect pairing with my digitakt utilizing the lemon drops Easy CC learning.

Iv’e read people comparing it to IOS apps, or the basic granular on the Black Box. Double the gran engines. way more controls, polyphony, and crazy modulation matrix. Sign me up!!

11 Likes

I just got my lemondrop in the mail today (immediately upgraded to the latest firmware) loaded a couple of piano loops on the sd card and got started. First impression: this thing has massive sound. The variety of sonic capability is very broad and versatile. Honestly, this was exactly the kind of product for granular that I was looking for. Well better than micro-granny, well less than the GR-1…to me $399 is a decent value given the GR-1 is >$1k.

The people that don’t like it or want to pay that much for it probably aren’t looking for something like it to begin with. There are iPad apps and Ableton plugins that are great at granular. So if that is someone’s cup of tea, go for it; enjoy what makes you happy. If this product isn’t for you and you wouldn’t spend that money on it, that’s cool. You don’t have to. I did, and am loving it so far, and given that it is sold our or selling out in more and more places (the fireball is still easily available everywhere), I would say that there are many people out there in a similar position in wanting granular hardware with good features, polyphony, and good price. We are not alone. I look forward to pairing this/sequence it from the Novation Circuit Tracks on the MIDI tracks and use the knobs to control the grain parameters using the midi learn on the lemondrop.

8 Likes

When Gaz in the Sonic State review compared this to a guitar pedal that perspective helped me wrap my head better around this. I’ve paid more than $399 just for a reverb effect.

6 Likes

After using this for a few hours, I am so happy I got it. It really is a great little device. I said it above, the sound is massive.
This thing really shines making generative/ambient tracks. I did a super simple exploration: Created a pattern on the Circuit tracks, copied the pattern on Synth 1, Synth 2 an MIDI Tracks 1 & 2 and played them all at different speeds and different play directions. Sent MIDI 1 to the Lemondrop and with just that and the Circuit’s internal synths it created a lovely soundscape. I then routed MIDI 2 to the system channel of my JX-08 which was set to dual so the pattern was playing both Part A & B on the JX-08 on different patches. I then also sent the MIDI for Synth 1 & 2 also to the JX-08 to Parts A & B individually. The JX-08 has enough polyphony that it could easily that. I changed probabilities around and transposed the pattern for different tracks and the result was pretty great. I’ll try to record it tonight and put it on YouTube to share.
I’m so delighted; this is precisely what I have been looking for.

4 Likes