1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

Please share do share this. Sounds like a great setup!

(Got an op-z but circuit tracks has also caught my eye)

I think lemondrop will be my next purchase…

1 Like

I agree. I’m not sure why there is so much expectation and annoyance about not having interchangeable firmware.
Maybe I’m biased because I don’t really care about and wouldn’t use the Fireball wavetable synth capabilities. If they had only one device with both firmwares, I still would only use the Lemondrop granular synth.
After getting mine yesterday and using it for a few hours, I’m completely fine with the $399 price tag. The sound is incredible and it gives me pretty much everything I was really wanting from a granular synth, including it being standalone and not GR-1 type pricing.
I used mine on the train on the way home yesterday with a Circuit Tracks and it was awesome. I know some people complain that it is “not totally portable” because it doesn’t have a battery. I have a USB power bank that is about the size of a phone and I was totally using it and the Circuit on the train. Would it be nice if it had a battery…sure. But even while on the train I would still keep it plugged into my power bank anyway. And like you say, I’m excited to try the Lemondrop paired with my Digitakt.

1 Like

Do it! You’ll love it.

1 Like

Can I ask you a couple of things? First what power bank do you use one I’ve got wouldn’t power the lemondrop so in the market for such things. Also ordered a blackbox1010 and wondering if such power bricks could power both devices? Have heard there can be issues with multiple USB devices on the same power source.

Other thing is what made you get circuit tracks if you have a digikatkt? Is it the portability of it or something, just curious see I had the original and the digitone and mpc made it pretty defunkt so I sold it…

Also I totally agree with your rationale on getting the lemondrop which was echoed previously on the thread. Was reading this thread made me buy it on impulse and I don’t regret it. I think it’s amazing, is expensive but it gave me severe gas like I’ve not had in a long time. I’ve always wanted a hardware granular synth g1 is too expensive and my friend has the granny and the file system is well known to be shitty. These are the only three I think exist so well happy with it, sounds so big and wild I love it. Thanks

1 Like

Can the lemondrop also be used as a wavetable synth?
(i.e. just a short sample and limited grunularizing?)

1 Like

Can the Blackbox power the Lemon Drop?

I don’t know blackbox is arriving tomorrow I think I’ll let you know if it does.

1 Like

I bought the powerbank on Amazon. Here is a link to it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G26S5V8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for why the Circuit Tracks given that I own the Digitakt, a few reasons. First, I’ve owned an OG Circuit since it was first released and I just love it. Love the immediacy of the workflow and so the Tracks was a nice upgrade to the OG. Second, I like that it is portable both in terms of it having a rechargeable battery but also because I can power it on USB-C with a powerbank. Third, the Circuit Tracks has 2 synth engines built in; the Digitakt is only samples. So being able have both drums and multiple synth engines on the same machine to sketch out some ideas for tracks or just have some fun exploration while on the go is really valuable to me. The Digitakt is incredibly powerful with an amazing sequencer, but it serves a different purpose for me. If I want a lead or melody, I have to either sample something else into the Digitakt, or sequence it from the Digitakt.

I will say this, I have (with limited success) been able to take the Digitakt and use it on the train. I bought one of the myVolts Ripcord USB to 12V DC converters and connected it to a USB powerbank. The main challenge is that the USB bus has a limit on the overall current it can provide. So when you upconvert the voltage from the 5V (2.4A) USB to 12V, the resulting current available to the Digitakt is technically only 1A. The Digitakt could power up and in use would hover around 800mA to 900mA, but if the current draw spiked above 1A or so, it would shutdown since the powerbank couldn’t supply it enough juice. I did buy an XTPower battery that has a DC port that can output up to 19V…but it is really big and heavy and cumbersome to lug it and the Digitakt around.

1 Like

I hope we’ll get some USB C ripcords soon. There’s just no reason for this limitation.

Slightly off topic but does that mean if I buy a bluebox I can swap the firmware and run it as a black box?

For the last two nights I’ve been having dreams about the lemon drop and using it to turn a mono synth into a poly synth. :joy:

No, not possible. Would not expect it to be possible anytime in the future either.

Sooo what 1010music boxes can you swap firmware on?

I think I read it’s possible between some (all?) of their eurorack modules.

1 Like

Loopop has added further to his remarks about swappable firmware (prompted by criticism). I won’t try to summarise here, link above still works.

1 Like

Could not resist even with this price. Well, it’s even more different from the Blackbox than I anticipated, on hardware and software level. Great tiny drone generator.

Some little flaws:

• UI is too small and clunky, so you need to carefully switch between modes. Not much a realtime device (i.e. you cannot play it as an instrument without external controller)
  • modulation looks a little bit buggy, does not sound as expected (or maybe I’m doing it wrong).
  • File system operations are simple, but sometimes not intuitive. Like “Save As” is available not all the time.
    Also if you are saving a playing preset, after reload it could sound a little bit differently from what was in the real time.

Otherwise it’s very cool.

That’s great thanks yeah I do miss the circuit as a midi controller tbh maybe consider one of the newer ones in the future, was just the synth wasnt always great and components was a right pain in the arse but I do miss it as a controller…

Yeah ordered a power brick last night hoping it arrives by friday for my train journey hehe

Yes it can!

2 Likes

That’s amazing! (But not amazing for me trying not purchase the Lemon Drop . . . :))

I think he’s just pissed they didn’t ask him before they asked a few other people first :slight_smile:

And that claim from my end, is about as credible as the one he just made, so we’re in the same camp here of providing biased opinions on stuff we don’t really know for sure is true.