1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

That was my first thought too. But, did you get a free review version?

1 Like

Yep. I guess I canā€™t comment much on the process, but Iā€™ve known about these kits for some time.

In that case you never can be ā€˜neutralā€™, itā€™s just a sponsored review.

1 Like

I dunnoā€¦Loopop is entitled to think whatever he wants for whatever reason he chooses. It just isnā€™t that big of a deal.

Selfishly, Iā€™d love if all of 1010ā€™s products were in the same size box. The Black/Blue boxes are such a great form factor I wouldā€™ve been much happier with a ā€˜Red Box, Yellow Boxā€™ personally

3 Likes

I was referring to @circuitghost. If I understood him well, he received a free review version.

This!
I think itā€™s quite unfair and intransparent if reviewers donā€™t mention that sponsoring at the very beginning of their reviews.

Manufacturers / SW vendors save 100thousands marketing bucks just by asking some YTubers for ā€˜impartialā€™ reviews. And of course many reviewers ā€˜forgetā€™ to send back that equitment because they need some giveaways to promote their channels.

I donā€™t have something against such business models if itā€™s clear to everyone that itā€™s just business .

4 Likes

I agree. The Black & Blue Boxes are already a nice small form factor anyway. No need to make things even smallerā€¦maybe could have used the extra room for an internal battery. Also, ā€˜Red Boxā€™ and ā€˜Yellow Boxā€™ is great and would have kept a nice consistent product line. That being said, I did buy a Lemonbox and I am extremely happy with it. As for swappable firmware, I personally donā€™t really care since Iā€™m not intersted in the Fireball/RedBox anyway.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no such thing as a ā€œneutralā€ review. Even those YouTubers who are reviewing a unit that they bought with their own cash will be biased because thereā€™s a need to justify spending the cash on it in the first place. Same thing goes for any recommendations on here. And when it comes to reviewing things in the media (I have previously worked directly for and as a freelancer for two of the larger music tech magazines in the past), just because you might get a bit of free software or money off a piece of hardware does not impact your own opinions of the gear in question. When I had access to basically any software back in the day, ā€œfreeā€ is next to useless in a sea of software. All I was asked to do was run any criticisms (of which there were many on occasion) past the manufacturer before publishing in case of user error or where a firmware update was in the works to fix whatever it might be. I think itā€™s a bit unfair on @circuitghost to writeoff his thoughtful review because of getting the gear directly from the manufacturer. He clearly loves 1010 and uses the gear in his own music, so itā€™s an informed opinion in my book. Anyway, just my 2 cents on the topic :v:

Edit: declaring up top that the review units were supplied by the company free of charge helps clear things up, though, I agree :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I hear you about the synths in the Circuit. Personally, I donā€™t mind that since I use it standalone a lot as a groovebox. With the Circuit Tracks I can hook up other synths like the Microfreak or MonoStation or JX-08 when I want to be able to do that; but it works as a pretty sweet minimal on-the-go groovebox. I can use it on the train, or during lunch at work. Paired with a JX-08 which is also compact and battery powered and now the lLmondrop which is tiny and even with a power bank to power it, it is a pretty minimal and portable setup.

2 Likes

This is the kind of setup Iā€™m aiming for. Also have a microfreak and an MM2 which is very portable.

I have an op-z but the well documented issues are undermining my enjoyment. So Iā€™m looking at circuit tracks (surely the tracks synths sound better than op-z?) and also waiting on the new polyend box.

Lemondrop looks like a near certain next purchaseā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m really curios about the new Polyend device as well. Iā€™ve avoided speculating about it as iā€™m sure anything I think of will be wrong. I donā€™t own an OP-Z (never really interested me) so I canā€™t comment on its sound vs. Circuit Tracks. I think that they sound just fine for internal synth engines in a portable groovebox. Is the internal synth engine going to sound like a Moog, Jupiter-8, Peak, Prophet or Hydrasynth? No. But also those synths are not portable and donā€™t cost $399.

1 Like

I ended up getting the red one that was recommended to you by someone on discord. It works great, as long as you are powering it with an adapter, which for me is not very ideal- it gets me back into bulky extension territory, so I think Iā€™ll be returning mine for one that doesnā€™t require an adapter.

Could have used this guy:

Was out of the gear loop for a while (COVID and other stuffā€¦) so I missed this one! Sounds great, I love granular. What if I put the Lemondropā€™s output into the ADDAC112VC line in ā€¦ :see_no_evil:

In case anyone is interested. I made a patch from scratch video with the lemondrop.

17 Likes

Beautiful. Barely watched, mainly just listened. When I get one then Iā€™ll rewatch for tips.

3 Likes

very nicely done.

Iā€™ve now also got the little 20 marlboro sized box in front of me so much easier to watch this than read the instructions!

itā€™s immediately apparent, particularly from your nice demo, how fun it will be to make 2 complementary samples in the DAW and then put them into the lemondrop to find nice granular mixes.

Also exploring the possibilities for more straightforward use of the lemondrop for non-droney atmospheric stuff as a useful little rompler.

Feels like a few user workflow kinks can be improved in how logical the buttons and screen work. But the high price is matched otherwise by a lot of effective tools to create riffs, particularly when all you want to do is explore sounds for later ideas.

I can see a mini blackbox fitting in this format too for micro ableton on-the-go ā€¦ shame no battery

1 Like

lemondrop 1.1.0 firmware is now available at the 1010music Forum. (Free registration required).

Weā€™ve added a record feature, made getting to the volume control easier, and fixed a bunch of bugs.

9 Likes

Itā€™s all I really wanted added, and it happened only few weeks after the Lemondrop was released. 1010music is such an awesome company :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks!! Thatā€™s good to hear, and Iā€™ll share it with the team. Itā€™s really a blast for me to be part of a team building something people want to use.

5 Likes